Umpires influencing games: Exhibit 1 Car v Fre

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton supporters arguing in the umpires favour. Seriously guys. You won. Was an amazing kick.

But to say you did not get an eagles like kiss on the dick by the umpires.
Just take the win.
Umpiring needs to be sorted out.
What if this was a game in a final & the team's were reversed.
Afl house would he burnt to the ground.

Gg. Play on.

He was way inside the feild and got shoved after he kicked it.. clear down feild free
Mate you missed the point of the discussion. We are talking about him being allowed to run along outside the boundary before entering the field of play, not what happened after he entered the field of play.

Carlton supporters arguing in the umpires favour. Seriously guys. You won. Was an amazing kick.

Just take the win.

Gg. Play on.

I agree with that. And FYI I do think it was not the correct call by the umpire, but what's done is done..

If Newnes missed that 1 in a 1000 odds shot at goal, I daresay there would be a lot less controversy.

Just take the win.

Gg. Play on.

Us Carlton supporters aren’t arguing in favour of the umpires, we are arguing that you shouldn’t complain about a contentious decision that we still had to produce the goal of the season to capitalise on, without also acknowledging that you got at least a minimum of one gifted goal 10m out directly in front that’s you did not deserve.

We needed a 50m kick from the second row after the siren to capitalise on what you call an error that favours us, you were allowed to kick it from 10m our directly in front from an error that favoured you.

One of the bizzaro moments was just before the siren when Jones marked the ball. I don't think he handballed it to Eddie, he just thew it to him. The ump called it back and got him to take a kick.

Just take the win.

Gg. Play on.
I love how you worded how we got our frees.. i didnt agree with it all... but i will damm take that result

One of the bizzaro moments was just before the siren when Jones marked the ball. I don't think he handballed it to Eddie, he just thew it to him. The ump called it back and got him to take a kick.
I seen that. My god hes thick in the head sometimes. Very lucky he didnt get pinged for a throw

I note the AFL have ticked off on the location of the kick. As the ball crossed the boundary around 60m out from goal and landed around 40m out from goal, presumably the AFL are saying that the umpire was correct to set the point of the kick on the boundary closest to where the ball landed.

How does this work practically? Say a player has a snap from the boundary at goal and gets hit late. The ball goes OOF, but lands directly behind the goals. Is the kick then set on the goal line?

Importantly, when did this change? It was always another kick from where the infringement occurred in the past.

Us Carlton supporters aren’t arguing in favour of the umpires, we are arguing that you shouldn’t complain about a contentious decision that we still had to produce the goal of the season to capitalise on, without also acknowledging that you got at least a minimum of one gifted goal 10m out directly in front that’s you did not deserve.

We needed a 50m kick from the second row after the siren to capitalise on what you call an error that favours us, you were allowed to kick it from 10m our directly in front from an error that favoured you.
It’s not even comparable. One soft free in one contest is normal. The umpiring was horrible the whole game and both sides got bad calls.

The final act of the game was due to six umpiring mistakes (some 50/50 calls) and a fluke of a kick. If one decision during that passage goes another way, we win.

These comments are driving me insane. Every Fremantle supporter is admitting those 1st quarter frees were s**t. But at the same time, Carlton supporters seem completely oblivious to the fact that in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, the ledger was squared with the Cripps throw and Casboult pushout. There were horrible decisions all over the place in equal favour of both sides. Holding the ball, in the back, ruck contests, deliberate ... it was a complete mess. Regardless, what happened over the whole game is irrelevant when discussing the sequence of howlers from the umpires at the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently not. It was set where the ball landed (or at least the closest point to there) and the AFL has ticked off on it.
Only since the rule changed this year and it’s now opened ended so the umpire is always correct no matter what they do. Absolute farce as they could have set it at 60m and still be ticked off.

Apparently not. It was set where the ball landed (or at least the closest point to there) and the AFL has ticked off on it.
To be honest I'm late to the discussion. And I'm sure many posts have been made that I cbf reading. but surely where Freo were to take the kick is the point where The reversal of the free is to be taken. Where the ball landed outside the field of play to me is irrelevant. What if it hit a light post or grandstand. My local league is in the hills with steep embakements some up some down which plays into where the ball lands. Makes no sense.

To be honest I'm late to the discussion. And I'm sure many posts have been made that I cbf reading. but surely where Freo were to take the kick is the point where The reversal of the free is to be taken. Where the ball landed outside the field of play to me is irrelevant. What if it hit a light post or grandstand. My local league is in the hills with steep embakements some up some down which plays into where the ball lands. Makes no sense.

Well, you'd think so.

But like I said, the AFL have given the spot the all clear - being where the ball landed, not where it went out.

Well, you'd think so.

But like I said, the AFL have given the spot the all clear - being where the ball landed, not where it went out.
Why doesn’t that happen with normal OOB on the full. Quite often it goes OOB And goes an extra 20 metres down field but they always bring it back to where it crossed the line.

They like to make s**t up to suit their narrative

Umpiring as a whole, was and has been abysmal all year.

This is just the crescendo of the s**t show.

The AFL should do an assessment of the entire faculty come season's end.

Bringing the legitimacy of the sport into disrepute and makes games highly unwatchable as a result.

Seriously, compare the NBA officials to AFL. It's night and day with their levels of professionalism.

Umpiring as a whole, was and has been abysmal all year.

This is just the crescendo of the sh*t show.

The AFL should do an assessment of the entire faculty come season's end.

Bringing the legitimacy of the sport into disrepute and makes games highly unwatchable as a result.

Seriously, compare the NBA officials to AFL. It's night and day with their levels of professionalism.
How big is a basketball court vs a footy field?

Irrelevant!

Mic them up, stop the play, use the available footage. Make the right decision.
Well it's completely relevant, as there's only one ref in NBA vs 3 field umpires in AFL due to the ground size.

No wonder you'd think NBA refs are 'better' because 1; it's a hell of a lot easier to officiate and, 2; there's only 1 umpire so their decisions should be consistent.

It’s not even comparable. One soft free in one contest is normal. The umpiring was horrible the whole game and both sides got bad calls.

The final act of the game was due to six umpiring mistakes (some 50/50 calls) and a fluke of a kick. If one decision during that passage goes another way, we win.

yeah nah, if you don’t get those 2 gifted goals in the 1st quarter which was 30% of your overall score, who says you are even close enough in that final quarter that the last decision effects who wins?

treat the last passage of play as any other passage of play during the whole game, if bad decisions and contentious passages of play benefit you scoring early, don’t complain if they go against you later.

we all want consistent umpiring and no bad decisions, But if you are going to benefit on the scoreboard early from bad decisions don’t complain later when the opposition does the same etc

Well it's completely relevant, as there's only one ref in NBA vs 3 field umpires in AFL due to the ground size.

No wonder you'd think NBA refs are 'better' because 1; it's a hell of a lot easier to officiate and, 2; there's only 1 umpire so their decisions should be consistent.
I'm talking about the process and the professionalism, not the logistics.

The problem in AFL isn't that there are 3 umpires to 1.

The problem is that in the AFL they don't check footage unless it's a score review, even if there's considerable doubt over the call they make.

NBA officials will always review the footage and stop the play if there's any doubt in their mind as to their call.

Which is how it should be in the AFL, heck how it should be in any professional sport, bar races I suppose. They shouldn't just have a little discussion without actually reviewing the available evidence.

Yes there are some logistical concerns to implement this, but they're minor and putting up with them would improve the game's legitimacy substantially.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back