Umpires problems, easily solved. PART ONE

Remove this Banner Ad

DNine

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2008
West of Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
In Australian Rule Football, we have different people coming in over the time, and changing things for what they believe to be for the better of the game.

I believe that there are many different ideas, all pulling in different directions. I feel that the AFL have to have huge overview of the rules, and it should include gaining ideas from all of the clubs, some selected few old players of the game, that seem to be clued on to what should and shouldn't happen on the football field. Names such as Parkin, Matthews, Sheedy and all the current coaches and umpires committee. They need to have a period of time, where they sit down, and have a discussion on every rule that has been altered in the last 20 years, and revisit the technicality's of it.

Seems to me, that clubs opinions mean nothing, when deciding on important decisions such as rule changes. The older stalwarts of our games opinions, also mean very little. Demetrio and Anderson have the floor. What they say goes, and bad luck for everyone who doesn't agree. Sure they consult with others, with the right to weigh in, but Demetrio is a tyrant, who would not let up, if you don't agree with him. Most just agree, because the system they set, makes others intimidated to go against the grain.

In having this Autocratic management style, in ANY work place, which includes the Football League. People who disagree with the technicality's of the rule change, will accept it, because they have to, but deep down they still disagree. Just because it is accepted under sufferance, doesn't mean your not going to get abused by every player that thinks it is an unwarranted change. To change ones game style, to suite the whims of behind the closed doors at AFL house, is not something the player want to, or should have to deal with.
There will be abuse, there will be rebellion, they brought it on themselves, then they whinge about how hard it is to get quality umpires. Umpires numbers are diminishing.

Alot of people in these times of change, have said that changing things, is going to make it worst, for the umpires. But they refused to listen, now I hear Demetrio talking on SEN about the issues they are facing, keeing good umpires, coming through our game.
They are trying hard to stop people complaining, by enforcing fines, further alienating the umpires. There ideas of how to lay power on people, stinks of a dictatorship.

I will highlight a couple of ideas I have, including the one already, that simply, the smarts of the game, have to come together, and the more smart people, and the more the AFL LISTEN, the better that idea will be.

What I would hope that would come out of this re-think of the rules that govern our game would bring, is a game that has very little room for interpretation, we don't have one umpires decision differing from anothers. I would like there to be the agenda of how to get the umpires, in the best position, to make their decisions. My solution to that, is a little futuristic, but it would have instant result to 50% of the problem. I could put them 1 meter from the play most times, without getting in the way of the players. I could eliminate ALL abuse to the field umpires instantly. I have already been through this solution, but it was round one, straight after every Collingwood supporter and their dog, was into the umpires. May of been drowned out a tad.

I will repost a revised proposal of this solution in part two to this thread.

The rules are not far from decent. They need to have stability though, as players need to adapt to a certain umpires regeme, and they know that once they have that mastered, they can relax into the game, and play once again instinctively. We have players who have done something their whole football life, only know to be told that this is no longer the case. Confusion of players, as what to do, and what not to do having a regular change, is NOT good for the game.

I leave this for now, and I will revisit it maybe today, if not in the next couple. This is for my own benefit to do a study and analysis on football umpiring. Perhaps I will learn something in the meantime, but for now, if anyone wants to weigh in;

What rule changes have annoyed you the most?

What rules would you like see come in??

What are some ideas to make the umpires better???

Why is our match review panel, so inconsistent?

Is their anything we can do to solve the inconsistencies??

Is it wise to continue to down the same track as we are, refering to game styles???

Is there rules that can be put into place, to make game styles have restrictions in changing the look of the game??

Any idea you have, I want to hear it. Lets turn some of this stuff around, and see what we can come up with, before I put part two up :)

The rules surrounding mark contests. I agree I think the Rocca FA last week was crazy. He was stronger than his opponent and he won. This week the Pies had a couple of other marks taken in the same way that didn't result in a FA. I would like to see consistency and emphasis put on rewarding the player that gets best position and doesn't go in the back or hold the man.

No new rules please! I like the no rush behind rule, as it makes the game more exciting watching the backline have to manage the ball better. But yeah I can't think of any rules that need to introduced

Remove the Microphones! I don't like their squealy voices and random commentary.

As Leigh said last night, do up those DVD's, but make them current, and open the discussion up to a broader range of people. If a call is bad then it should be discussed, so that EVERYONE can learn from it.

Obviously the umpires do a good job, as no one commends the good calls they make, only the bad. But if there is constant review of what is and isnt in the rules, it will help them be consistent with their calls, which will eventually lead to the intelligent fans paying respect to their calls. The idiot fans will be upset regardless of improvements in consistency.

Is it wise to continue to down the same track as we are, refering to game styles???

I think the analysis of games is to a point now where everyone is looking to the science of a team. Rolling zones, flooding, Quarterbacking etc etc. It doesn't mean a thing when you have natural footy players working as a unit. That is why I like the Joel Selwood's, JB's and Hudghton's of the game. It doesn't matter what you call it, it comes down to how the individuals play, and the skills they posess.

Is there rules that can be put into place, to make game styles have restrictions in changing the look of the game??

Yeah, the rush behind rule is one. I dont think there is much point putting in specific rules. What rule do you bring in to reduce flooding? You play man on man and if you have better skilled players you win. Sydney dont win every (many) game(s) and they are the best flooding team in the competition.

I think the traditional rules require review and definition and I think any new rules should be agreed to by all clubs. That way it will not favour any one game style or franchise.

Thanks for the feedback, here is my brief take...

Hands ON the back rule. Simply made up because some actors(players) made some umpires look pretty stupid. They hated getting sucked in so much,so they changed the rule. They really should have no right, to change ANY rule, without a conferring with Clubs, Players, Ex players, (Legends)and even possibly a Supporter vote.If the majority of the people see need in a change, it happens, not when a couple of senior umpires, get their back up, because they got sucked in a few times.

I am a fan of no more being introduced, apart from thatI would like to see an off side rule come into play. No more than 10 players from a side, in either 50 meter arch. Prevents flooding, and ugliness to our game, that we are attempting to continually sell to new comers..

Two umpires, in a box, with a live big screen wired up with audio instant feed, to two umpires on the field. The decisions are made from the box, and relayed down live, to Umpires who's job it is to relay the message on. It puts the most experienced umpires, right up into the play. They could even have their own umpires cam, to get the best angles. This would NOT slow the game, everything can still be done in real time, the only difference, the RIGHT decisions, will be more often.

Because the rules and regulations to our game, are very grey and too open for intepretation. They tried to put in a system of points, but that has made things worse. It makes tribuneral quieter, with players taking suspensions without turning up, which is a good idea. The points carry over system, is not right, it hardly seems fair, that a team can have so many points hanging over their heads. It will one day cause a top side, to disintergrate near finals and in them, because of a truck load of carry over points, and a few minor incidents, when the going gets tough in finals. Each incident needs to be viewed on their own merit.

I think they have got some sort of standard, and stick to that standard no matter who it is. Take each case on its merits, and be fair.I wouldn’t even mind if they took media analysis on it, and the results from that analysis as a guide to what should happen in some cases, because popular belief will always be more correct than a few people, who have barely seen the incident, who may have bias against a team or player.

Game styles are becoming messy and unwatchable. Fans are screaming out, Media are screaming out, that these games are ugly, and unwatchable. People introducing themselves to the game, may not give it a second chance, after seeing their first game, which turns out to be a messy one.

The only thing that is going to stop these messy game styles from occurring, is a rule that makes it against the rules to gather almost all players in the one area. If there is a rule that I would like introduced, is that you can’t have more than ten players in either 50 meter zone. That allows for the six players that play in their positions, plus 4 others, such as Ruck, Ruck Rover, Rover and one Wing, or One Centreman. Can’t flood the back line with any more than ten players, which will remedy the fact that Key Position Forward marking returns to its former glory, as I heard that the amount of time a KPF marks now days, is heaps less than back 20 years ago. This is due to the flood, or saturation zone.

Here is feedback from another board, from an old mate, Madando;

Hey D9, great to see you back even if it is briefly.

Good post too.

To answer your questions:

The 50 metre rule is killing the game. It's just used far too much for pissy little infringements. A Real Game Killer.

NONE!!!!! In fact take a few away.

Maxy hit the nail on the head in that interview he did last week. Make Umpiring a FULL TIME occupation.

Simple, they use ex Caaarton players, renowned Cheats.

Ban Caaarton scum from the panel.

Yeah, the game has to evolve, as coaches keep coming up with ways to beat opponents. Just gotta stop bringing in new rules to try and stop them.
For instance, in 2007 when MM broke the world record in interchanges, the AFL trialed a rule in the following Nab Cup, limitting changes to 16 a Qtr,
including the ones at the start of the qtr. Thank Bucks nothing came of it.

NO COMMENT!! (don't wanna give them any ideas)

Another point for discussion. Talking of this Rocca incident, someone said, that Rocca got 50 meters because he kicked the ball away. An arguement for Rocca, is that when he marked the ball, he heard a whistle. That whistle would of sounded exactly like the whistle had he marked it. He played on and kicked the goal. Someone said to me, that you have to go behind the mark, to take the kick. Umpires quiet often say this, yet on other occasions, the player is quiet free to play on after a mark. For instance, if a player was streaming out of defence, and hit a target on the wing that was in the clear. The kick sails a little over his head, so it forces the player on the wing, to run forward, in order to mark. Because there is no one around him, he runs on after this mark. If the ridiculous was to happen, to the letter of the law, the clear player, would have to back backwards, get behind the mark and kick it. When they mark in the goals, you are often forced to come back and kick over the mark. Simple problem solved BE CONSISTENT, at any time, if the player wishes to play on, he should be able to.

Also someone wanted me to ask this question, that would it be a good idea, to have a whistle that can make two distinctive noises, one for a mark, and one for the free kick. Then if Rocca continued to play on, after the sound of the free kick was heard, then a fifty could be given, for not responding to the whistle that indicates the decision. This whistle, could just have a hole, that the umpire places his finger over, or not, like any other wind instrument. No need for two whistles, just an adaption to the old one. I was of the belief that those whistles can be blown in different ways to make different sounds any way, so why can't they make the whistle distinctive to eliminate confusion.

Another one I wish to bring up!! Why is it, that a defender only has to put a hand on a forwards back to give a free kick away, yet the Ruck contests, they seem to be allowed to push and pull, and put hands pretty much any where. What makes rucks so special when enforcing this rule??? Then one in 20 messy ruck contests, you will get an indignant umpire streaming in, and sayin how one ruck pushed the other one. The ruck always stands there as if to say, god help me, you pay nothing to this point, regardless of my back taking a hidding in other contests, only for you to pull this one up.

It is often right when the game is in the balance, and the umpire remembers he sent a mate to the TAB to place a bet, and the bet is sured by a few crucial time decisions. If they aren't why is the stupidest decisions paid at the most crucial times. Money talks when the opportunity rises.

All these people complaining about umpires, yet no one wants to identify, and discuss the worst ones, and what can be done about it.

If everyone in the world was 'proactive', as opposed to 'reactive', the world would be a better place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back