Roast Umpires thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it is so much the ones paid against us, they are usually always there. And i don't think anyone would argue otherwise.

it is the ones not paid to us for exactly the same thing or worse.

By no means do I think free kick counts should be even and by no means do these play any part in results of games, we have ourselves only to blame.

but last years free kick totals was staggering and we are heading south again at a rapid rate and it is only round 2.

I can assure you, outside of last year, we have traditionally been right near the bottom for free kicks for the better part of a decade. 2011 being the exception where we got the usual "Premier bonus" and even then I think we finished 7th.

But last night was a unique case.

Like, I'm not understanding how so many Richmond supporters were expecting a lot of free kicks in a game where you barely touched the ball and then weren't laying tackles the other way. Unless Collingwood were going to constantly give away frees, where were they supposed to come from?

This isn't one of those situations where the stats showed both teams had plenty of the ball and the umps just had a shocker. Statistically you guys were obliterated. Records were set all over the place. It was your lowest tackle count since like 2014 or something. I'm just trying to figure out how anyone can expect a team that didn't touch the ball or tackle the opposition to get free kicks.

I can assure you, outside of last year, we have traditionally been right near the bottom for free kicks for the better part of a decade. 2011 being the exception where we got the usual "Premier bonus" and even then I think we finished 7th.

Like, I'm not understanding how so many Richmond supporters were expecting a lot of free kicks in a game where you barely touched the ball and then weren't laying tackles the other way. Unless Collingwood were going to constantly give away frees, where were they supposed to come from?

This isn't one of those situations where the stats showed both teams had plenty of the ball and the umps just had a shocker. Statistically you guys were obliterated. Records were set all over the place. It was your lowest tackle count since like 2014 or something. I'm just trying to figure out how anyone can expect a team that didn't touch the ball or tackle the opposition to get free kicks.

i think you're missing the point.

no one is saying the free kick numbers from last night should have been even or us ahead or anything like that, and we are well aware we were obliterated so please stop trying to make that point as it is getting old very quickly.

what I'm saying is there were multiple occasions where we were not rewarded with a free kick for something we were penalised for earlier.

they are the frustrating ones.

2 x throws
1-2 incorrect disposals
as a start.

Like i said earlier, it honestly would have not changed the result one little bit, i don't think anyone is saying it would have changed the result.

all we are saying is there are a lot not paid to us but that are paid against us for the exact same thing.

nothing more.

If you don't like us giving our opinion of that on the Richmond board, maybe don't read the thread.

no one is saying the free kick numbers from last night should have been even or us ahead or anything like that, and we are well aware we were obliterated so please stop trying to make that point as it is getting old very quickly.

what I'm saying is there were multiple occasions where we were not rewarded with a free kick for something we were penalised for earlier.

2 x throws
1-2 incorrect disposals
as a start.

Like i said earlier, it honestly would have not changed the result one little bit, i don't think anyone is saying it would have changed the result.

all we are saying is there are a lot not paid to us but that are paid against us for the exact same thing.

nothing more.

If you don't like us giving our opinion of that on the Richmond board, maybe don't read the thread.
Well said Michaels :thumbsu:

The stats speak for themselves. 9 to us 25 to Collingwood.

Their was a 50m penalty missed as well. Tigers were awarded a free, the Pies player went back on the mark, a richmond player and his tagger ran in front of the mark. No 50m...

It seems like we're back where the "interpretation" or just skill of the umpiring fluctuates from end to end.

I don't care about the numbers of free kicks, and I would say that most if not all fans, just want some ******* consistency.

Are you talking about differential or just frees for because if your talking differential then you might want to revisit your claim.

Collingwood last 10 seasons ( 09-18 ) are +197 in differential which includes finals games, last 4 years you are +237
Richmond on the other hand are -197, last 4 years we are -128 which includes a +71 year. :rolleyes:

And how can a team that didn't tackle or touch the ball give away so many free kicks, and how can a team that tackle and touch the opposition as you guys did give away so little free kicks. :think:

The stats speak for themselves. 9 to us 25 to Collingwood.

Their was a 50m penalty missed as well. Tigers were awarded a free, the Pies player went back on the mark, a richmond player and his tagger ran in front of the mark. No 50m...

It seems like we're back where the "interpretation" or just skill of the umpiring fluctuates from end to end.

I don't care about the numbers of free kicks, and I would say that most if not all fans, just want some ******* consistency.

That's not a 50m if an oppo player is following one of our guys through the mark.

its only 50m if an oppo player runs through the mark with no one else around him.

Are you talking about differential or just frees for because if your talking differential then you might want to revisit your claim.

Collingwood last 10 seasons ( 09-18 ) are +197 in differential which includes finals games, last 4 years you are +237
Richmond on the other hand are -197, last 4 years we are -128 which includes a +71 year. :rolleyes:

And how can a team that didn't tackle or touch the ball give away so many free kicks, and how can a team that tackle and touch the opposition as you guys did give away so little free kicks. :think:

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story Toffee.

2 x throws
1-2 incorrect disposals
as a start.

nothing more.

I actually agree with you. the most frustrating thing with umpiring and free kicks is the inconsistency. Drives me mad and it's not always the same umpire.

Things like dinky throws, I can allow for as sometimes the umpire might be in the wrong position but incorrect disposal is pretty clear no matter where they stand.

Hope that Jack's injury is not that bad, we need his type of character in the game.

Wait...so you think free kicks can only be "given away"? They're never earned? So we didn't earn any of those 25 free kicks? You guys gave them all away?

Ok cool, I get it, last night is still raw, which is fair enough. I'll leave it alone. Nothing anyone can say will change anyone's mind, which I get. Sorry for the intrusion.

Something has to be done about it,the media make articles when another team complains about the umpiring ,Richmond cop it on the chin and let it go.

That Lynch swallowed whistle,was a pivotal moment in the match.

I actually agree with you. the most frustrating thing with umpiring and free kicks is the inconsistency. Drives me mad and it's not always the same umpire.

Things like dinky throws, I can allow for as sometimes the umpire might be in the wrong position but incorrect disposal is pretty clear no matter where they stand.

Hope that Jack's injury is not that bad, we need his type of character in the game.

and to be honest sometimes the AFL rules committee is more at fault for having so many rules with grey areas that the outcome is based on an individuals interpretation opposed to a clear cut rule that all can follow. So we have 4 different individuals out there with 4 different interpretations, it's madness.

unfortunately it doesn't look good for Jack, apparently he has been at the Epworth consulting with surgeons this morning, which isn't a good sign.

appreciate the comment though :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm fa*&ing sick of this, why don't Gale or Hardwick grow some balls and head down to the AFL and umpires and tell it how it is.
I'm sure they can find some pimple faced 15 year old kid who can collate a highlights video of all the missed free kicks over the last few years.
I don't think the club fights hard enough, all I see is that we are eager to please the AFL (far# that I would go in all guns blazing if I was running the club).
Look at Melbourne last week they came out and made a strong statement over the treatment of Gawn, we never ever seem to do that, Jack was being rapped last season and not a whisper from the club.

One thing Ive noticed since last year is a lot of opposition sides really throw the hands up and ask for the frees now - and umps are buying it. Pies do it well, watch Pendles and Grundy especially. I dont think we do or cant really recall us doing it consistently. Maybe we need to start? Its no coincidence that wce and pies are consistently getting more frees than anyone else, theyre the two sides that exaggerate it probably more than most.

I also agree with Sir rancelot - other clubs come out strongly and publicly against what they perceive to be poor umpiring, we just take it on the chin. Look at pies with Cox last year, dees with Gawn, bombers bc of their differential last year! and here we are consistently being on the receiving end of inconsistent interpretation without going hard at the afl.

Dont get me wrong, we were comprehensively outplayed by a much better outfit last night, but gee wiz the tap that was deemed a throw, the Lynch mark are 2 frees that cost us goals when the game was in the balance. Momentum is a funny thing..

Last edited:
and to be honest sometimes the AFL rules committee is more at fault for having so many rules with grey areas that the outcome is based on an individuals interpretation opposed to a clear cut rule that all can follow. So we have 4 different individuals out there with 4 different interpretations, it's madness.

unfortunately it doesn't look good for Jack, apparently he has been at the Epworth consulting with surgeons this morning, which isn't a good sign.

appreciate the comment though :)
Oh well, back to the 1 forward and smalls we go which worked for us, luckily we got that Lynch bloke in. Pheww

Off the top of my head?

1) The one against Cox for.....? nothing? That caused a recall of Elliot's Goal
2) The nudge against Langdon on Lynch. Soft as melted butter. Reiwoldt did the SAME thing to Cox in the ruck only minutes earlier and that was let go
3) Kicking in danger that wasn't paid against Edwards on Pendles which resulted in a goal to Lynch
4) Edwards being allowed to take a kick for a free kick he never got. Macintosh 100% would not have kicked that goal and everyone knows it
5) In the same play, Sidebottom being pinged for holding the ball when the ball was merely knocked out of his hands.

Again, this all ignores the fact that you guys barely got your hands on the ball all game and then didn't lay a tackle when you didn't have it.

The free kick count alone rarely tells the full story. When you look at the stats of the game in combination with the free kick count it completely makes sense.
2) Are you for real? Langdon didnt even fly for the ball, it was an illegal sheppard every day of the week and his sole intention was to stop Lynch from contesting. Go learn the ******* rules you gimp

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

2) Are you for real? Langdon didnt even fly for the ball, it was an illegal sheppard every day of the week and his sole intention was to stop Lynch from contesting. Go learn the ******* rules you gimp

I suggest you should get a rule book and sit down and watch a replay of every tiger game, I’ll think you will realise why the free kick count is heavily against you.
#richmondsookaboutumpiresagain
#arewestilltalkingb2b

So that was completely ok when Reiwoldt did it to Cox from a boundary throw in only minutes before that?

So that was completely ok when Reiwoldt did it to Cox from a boundary throw in only minutes before that?

Yes, Riewoldt was directly challenging Cox for the ball, whilst Langdon shepherded Lynch out of the contest. Back to your own ******* scum board you dead set ******* flog.

Tumbleweeds from the Pies fans about the Sidebottom throws and the one that their captain got in front of goal that wasn't a throw. I guess when you get frees served on a silver spoon each week you don't see the really bad ones and think your team got a bad ride. I never thought people could be so idiotic, but i was obviously wrong.

#freekickcollingwood

The whole team needs a good kick up the arse, letting Cox dance around without tacking him was horrid.
Astbury worries me he is so crap without Rance there to straighten him up.

i actually thought letting cox have a runway in front of him in the prelim and his first goal last night would be the orst thing id ever see.

then he fuggin danced across our entire backline like a russian ballerina and snapped a goal.

The i truly knew god was real and he hates us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back