Umpiring for the Freo vs Hawks game

Remove this Banner Ad

for all the freo supporters griping, a hawk was pinged for htb when he had absolutely no chance at all as well (lethal and figjam commented on it as well), and it led to a shot at goal. so open the other eye occasionally.

the umpiring was ok, they made a couple of poor decisions but mostly they paid the ones that needed to be paid and left the game alone.

Your kidding right, it was terrible. There were plenty of holding the ball decisions which were incorrect, one which occured right in front of me was against Dodd after he had just been handballed the ball there was No prior=not holding the ball

The blokes on this thread that believe Freo got a raw deal obviously tipped Freo or had money riding on the game. The amount of clear holding the ball decisions not paid to Hawthorn was ridiculous.

I agree that a lot of stuff was let go which was good but it was spoiled by terrible frees plucked out in one instance that didn't happen the next time.

Especially inside 50.

What frustrates me, just generally, is this chopping the arm rule. If you're a shitty forward, you always get them, if you're a gun forward, you don't.

Cunnova rule , because even a soft touch of an arm gets paid .

Dare i say it , if the DUCK was still playing today with that rule he would kick 12 goals every week !

I agree that a lot of stuff was let go which was good but it was spoiled by terrible frees plucked out in one instance that didn't happen the next time.

Especially inside 50.

Like i have said , mistakes will happen and you will cop them because it is part of the game , letting the game go is a step in the right direction for the umpires and their image as a whole .

I thought they let the game go pretty well. Only 2 things that pissed me off were the inconsistent holding the ball calls, and the baffling non calls in the ruck. About halfway through the second quarter, Campbell started blocking Sandilands run by crossing the line in the middle. As I understood it, that's illegal, as you have to go for the ball. First contest after half time, same thing happened and a free kick was paid. Fair enough I thought, they've had a think about the rules and decided to actually abide by them. The blocking stopped for a few contests, then started up again. No calls. :confused:
It's not like it's hard to umpire, it's pretty bloody obvious when ruckmen do it.

I thought they let the game go pretty well. Only 2 things that pissed me off were the inconsistent holding the ball calls, and the baffling non calls in the ruck. About halfway through the second quarter, Campbell started blocking Sandilands run by crossing the line in the middle. As I understood it, that's illegal, as you have to go for the ball. First contest after half time, same thing happened and a free kick was paid. Fair enough I thought, they've had a think about the rules and decided to actually abide by them. The blocking stopped for a few contests, then started up again. No calls. :confused:
It's not like it's hard to umpire, it's pretty bloody obvious when ruckmen do it.

Letting the game go is by far the best way to bring our game back to what it once was in the 90's and early 2000's .

Everyone who disagrees with me on this thread is too used to the way the game has been officiated for the past few years and are stuck on that .

Sam Newman and Grant Thomas to a lesser extent have been great in pointing out these problems publicily , without them i have no doubt our game would of turned into another version of that NTTAWWTy game Basketball , or even Netball .

By no means am i slagging anyone who has never played the game at any level , but without playing the game of Aussie Rules , you just do not know the absolute mechanics of play and morality of the game .

The blokes on this thread that believe Freo got a raw deal obviously tipped Freo or had money riding on the game. The amount of clear holding the ball decisions not paid to Hawthorn was ridiculous.

Whereas you're clearly impartial being a Hawthorn supporter and all. :rolleyes:

I thought the umpiring wasn't too bad. During any game there's always going to be bad calls and there's always going to be inconsistencies but all you can really ask for is that they don't all go to one team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The contradictory interpretations of holding the ball were awful. Murphy was pushed in the back twice on the lead. I rarely comment on umpiring, figuring you win some lose some but I felt we got the worst of it tonight.

I rarely comment on umpiring, figuring you win some lose some but I felt we got the worst of it tonight.

We certainly didn't get favoured that's for sure, despite what some Hawk supporters seem to think.

No prior=not holding the ball

You don't know the rules mate. With no prior opportunity, you must still attempt to get rid of the ball.

By no means am i slagging anyone who has never played the game at any level , but without playing the game of Aussie Rules , you just do not know the absolute mechanics of play and morality of the game .

I find this ironic, in that you refer to the game "as it once was, back in the 90's/early00's"

You realise most of the rule changes have been brought in to get the game a bit closer to what it was like before the time you remember so fondly?

Geez if people think that game was umpired well it shows how low umpiring standards have gone

I think fans are just relieved the umps were letting things go rather than blowing the whistle every 5 seconds.

I enjoyed it and it is always good to see 'stagers and divers' missing out on kicks.....makes my day:thumbsu:

As a neutral thought they did OK...... My main problem is how the ump can call play on when a player gets run down and drops ball.... should be paid everytime...... thought the Hawks were on the wrong end of that 2 or 3 times.

The only thing i enjoyed about tonight umpireing was that they gave the players a chance to create a contest rather than calling a ball up.

We need to see more of this, making the player get the ball out if possible. Will see true skills if this can happen a lot more.

As a neutral thought they did OK...... My main problem is how the ump can call play on when a player gets run down and drops ball.... should be paid everytime...... thought the Hawks were on the wrong end of that 2 or 3 times.

YEp! Saw that a number of times, including the opening stanza. And one just outside our D50 prior to Haselby getting a high contact free from Mitchell.

Just a quick question, if you are 211cm tall are other players simply allowed to hold onto your arms because theres no other way for them to beat you?

First half was excellent umpiring despite a few glaring frees not paid. Seems there has been a turning of the tide in the last 2 weeks - far less technical pro-active umpiring, EXACTLY as it should be. Well done umps.

I thought the umpiring was pretty ordinary tonight if truth be told. I've a couple of questions and if someone can get back to me with a satisfying answer, I'll sleep in peace of mind

a) Are opposition players and ruckman allowed to use illegal tactics on Sandilands? Happened far too often for no reward for Sandi.

b) How long exactly are you allowed to hold onto a player after they've got rid of the ball? I swear that this happened 6-8 times both ways with no free kicks for being held onto for too long

c) Is it that ****ing hard to have one ****ing holding the ball interpretation? Shits me to ****ing tears and one such decision nearly got me booted from the pub due to anger and disgust

In no way am I blaming the umpires for the loss because I thought we were beaten by the better team on the day but really, another 3rd rate performance from the red raddishes

First half was excellent umpiring despite a few glaring frees not paid. Seems there has been a turning of the tide in the last 2 weeks - far less technical pro-active umpiring, EXACTLY as it should be. Well done umps.

Spot on. I spent the first 15 minutes complaining about the missed free kicks then just conceded that this is the way it was going to be umpired and the players can stop diving.

When everyone got used to how they were umpiring, you saw a much better man on man contest:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back