Analysis University research on fans' views of racism in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Whats my income and schooling have to do with racist fans?

It provides a mechanism for analysis. to assist with understanding how different parts of the community assess racism

alternatively it could be, they don't value females opinions and thus their survey results discarded.

It will be one or the other!

A pleasant change. Back in the 80s, one very prestigious Melbourne based university used to release an annual 'AFL' quiz, every question was either based on racism, violence, criminal activity or sex (consensual or not).

Survey done.

Q. Why do you think some AFL fans are racist?

A. Racism stems from ignorance and from our tribal nature. Like a litter of puppies, humans are wired to single out others over any points of difference. Red hair... Glasses... Obesity... Craziness... Different skin colour... Most racism at the football is simply ignorant name-calling. I think it's part of our DNA that we are all racist to some degree, whether we care to admit it or not. Good people overcome this handicap through education and positive experience - the more they are exposed to different cultures, different ethnicities and different races, the more broader their outlook and the more tolerant and "less racist" they become. Unfortunately, some people choose ignorance, or they become hardened with racist attitudes through their limited negative experiences. They surround themselves with like-minded bad influences in their social groups and with the media they consume. They fully embrace their racist attitudes and they resist any attempt from others to modify their racist behaviour. It is what it is... They can't be changed. Fortunately, they are few and they exist on the fringes of polite society.

7 million AFL fans come through the gate every year and we only get a handful of racist incidents. It's a wonderful strike rate. The AFL have done a great job to educate footy fans and provide a racism-free environment, so I'm not really sure why we need to go on and on about this topic. Is racism at AFL matches really that big of an issue these days? It's mainly a big deal in the media. They love to sensationalise any racist incident which occurs. Some drunk idiot makes a dickhead outburst, gets tossed out of the ground and he creates huge headlines. There are drunk idiots in all walks of life who say shitty things, but we don't make it a lead item on the news... So why is it a news story when it happens at an AFL game? A warning to others? Part of the ongoing education process? Or the media trying to generate clicks?

Q. Why do you think AFL fans use racist sentiments on social media?

A. Usually they are just trolls who are trying to provoke a reaction. The anonymity of the internet emboldens them to act in an anti-social way which they would never dare to in their face-to-face encounters with others. Of course, there is a small minority of genuine racist people who like to espouse their bigoted intolerant views and the internet gives them an avenue to voice their shitty opinions. (See my previous answer)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can assure you there is no agenda Twoslabs. Thanks for completing though and thanks to you also Wosh for your thoughts.

seems like you could do the survey over and over and over...

A bot could abuse this....(ie. No, racism does not exist at all), no captcha to prevent a bot from completing the survey

Still, a patient human could abuse it by completing the survey over and over and over................

side note: 2 academics are from Business side, 1 technology, 1 unclear...was expecting maybe 1 from say...human rights ? or sports ?

Absolutely not, Kwality. There is no preconceived hypotheses.

I challenge that based in this statement in your document:

"it is hoped that the study will provide a more in-depth understanding of issues relating to racism in the AFL from the perspective of fans"

This states that there is racism in the AFL and your study will provide a more in-depth understanding of the issues.

Like most of these types of 'studies', the end result is already predetermined by their views, whether it be consciously or subconsciously. It's extremely rare to come across anything different in our society.

"it is hoped that the study will provide a more in-depth understanding of issues relating to racism in the AFL from the perspective of fans"

This states that there is racism in the AFL and your study will provide a more in-depth understanding of the issues.

Like most of these types of 'studies', the end result is already predetermined by their views, whether it be consciously or subconsciously. It's extremely rare to come across anything different in our society.

If the suggestion that there is racism in sport troubles you ..... Mums apron strings !!

Academia is comprised, and has always been.

This is purely a survey, the OP asked if he could post it and BF admin allowed it.
There are other threads to discuss racism in, if you dont like the survey or don’t want to do it no problems, scroll past. But please don’t troll and attack.
Thanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back