Unpopular tennis-related opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaches should be allowed to address their players for five minutes between each set.

Screaming/screeching/grunting whatever you want to call it is cheating and should be outlawed.

I wanted to agree with #2, but then remembered this

i_wawa_5347bd749b90c.jpg

and thought we would be without funny pics if there were only female doubles!

Rules are still a little unclear when it comes to replayed points/giving the point to a player after a challenge. Nearly every week there's an argument. That and the fact that every single player asks the umpire if it was out or not before they challenge - so annoying. It unnecessarily slows down the game. Not to mention those who challenge balls that are clearly out just to catch their breath after a long rally.

I'd seriously say there are far more cons than pros when it comes to Hawkeye.

Rules are still a little unclear when it comes to replayed points/giving the point to a player after a challenge. Nearly every week there's an argument. That and the fact that every single player asks the umpire if it was out or not before they challenge - so annoying. It unnecessarily slows down the game. Not to mention those who challenge balls that are clearly out just to catch their breath after a long rally.

I saw a couple of calls by the linesman this week when the serve was called in which was an ace to Groth but then the other player challenged and it was miles out. The umpires and linesman can make some terrible calls at times and it gives the players a chance to try and correct against it.

You are right that the players do challenge sometimes just to catch their breath. Fair point.

It doesn't matter if it takes 30 seconds to find the outcome of hawk eye if it gives the correct decision overall.

It is the future of sports. With the prizemoney on offer and the technology we have it'd be stupid not to use it. The problems start when players ask their box whether or not to challenge, and the umpire lets it go. If they don't challenge straight away they should not be allowed to. That right there will speed play up. Problem is if a player really needs a breath in tennis they will go get their towel and take their breath. With the best players like Rafa and Murray constantly doing it they won't properly enforce the time between points rule unfortunately.

It is the future of sports. With the prizemoney on offer and the technology we have it'd be stupid not to use it. The problems start when players ask their box whether or not to challenge, and the umpire lets it go. If they don't challenge straight away they should not be allowed to. That right there will speed play up. Problem is if a player really needs a breath in tennis they will go get their towel and take their breath. With the best players like Rafa and Murray constantly doing it they won't properly enforce the time between points rule unfortunately.
I'm not doubting the effectiveness of the system, I'm doubting the way it's been used (tortured more like it) by players and/or umpires that do not understand the rules. As you said, there are instances like Jelena Jankovic constantly looking to her box before challenging. Even as a fan, it's so frustrating to watch. The challenge system is there to be used, and not for a third-party to make the call for you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to be committed and willing to work your guts out. Something I don't think Tomic can do
Yep tbh he's really to slow, un athletic and not enough weapons to compete with the likes of Nishikori, Raonic, Dimitrov, Thiem, Kyrgios in the future.

I prefer the blue border green court design ala when Ford was the name rights holder

792459-melbourne-park-on-a-hot-day-1997.jpg

After watching replays of Aus Open green courts, it has proven to me the blue courts are far friendlier on the eye to watch on tv......

At one stage they had electric blue mixed with fluro pink ballboys and umpires. It was horrible. Looked like a kids playground.

Compared to Wimbledon Centre Court, Arthur Ashe and Court Philippe Chatrier, Rod Laver is s**t.

Giving players two chances to start the point is unnecessary with modern equipment. Get rid of the first serve.

This would eliminate the need for the progressive slowing of courts we've seen in the last 15 years, which has been mostly to negate the dominance of servebots. We could return to a variety of courts, including fast courts, resulting in much more interesting tennis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back