Unsociable Behaviour At AFL Matches

Remove this Banner Ad

We have seen quite a few publicised instances of unsociable behaviour at AFL games this year.

This behaviour is extremely disappointing and supporters should know better.

When flogs overstep the line and become involved in fights, should they be penalised more harshly?
Ie. if you won’t be responsible for your actions, we will hold you accountable for them.

Or should stadium management and police ensure tougher RSA compliance?

I’m going with the former. You choose your actions and reap the consequences. If you go overboard, expect to be punished. Take some responsibly for your actions you unsociable flogs.

We have seen quite a few publicised instances of unsociable behaviour at AFL games this year.

When flogs overstep the line and become involved in fights, should they be penalised more harshly?
Ie. if you won’t be responsible for your actions, we will hold you accountable for them.

I’m going with the former. You choose your actions and reap the consequences. If you go overboard, expect to be punished. Take some responsibly for your actions you unsociable flogs.

RSA? Nobody can afford to get pissed at the footy

RSA? Nobody can afford to get pissed at the footy
Those that do normally sneak a few in their jacket sleeves anyway. Just watch the Richmond 'grog squad' prepare for a match. Jacket off and out come 8 tinnies in the sleeves.

Australians by and large don’t hold their alcohol very well, so I think it’s a tribute to the magic of the great game of Australian Rules that we don’t see a lot more s**t behaviour at games.

Look at soccer crowds when they start acting up. The scary thing is they don’t even need to be drunk to start acting like dickheads.

Ban all alcohol.

Its overpriced and crap compared to a bar after the game anyway!

They do that in Scotland and it doesn't stop violence or drunkenness.

Subiaco commonly had liquor enforcement dudes roaming around. The problem is emotive sport+Dickheads= Punch on

Mmm
I haven't actually experienced much violent behaviour. A bit of argy Bargy at Belliereve in 2016 between two guys that obviously wasn't footy related.One was very angry at someone he knew insulting his dad next to him.

There's actually very little anti social behaviour between opposing fans I've ever seen. Petty Nastiness from Bulldogs supporters at various grounds and times. I have seen a couple of drunk young punks in our colors abuse an elderly couple in Pies colors last year at Lidcombe station after our game.

Generally my biggest bitch with alchohol is at crowded grounds when people are constantly pushing past balancing drinks precariously. Not really an issue at Spotless and there is the members bar with an excellent view for those who want to drink heavily.

I think the grounds and the clubs should ban those involved and require some evidence of a commitment to change before allowing them back. The police should deal with assaults the same as any in the community.

Hopefully we never reach the stage where alchohol needs to be banned.

Last edited:
It's not the alcohol it is the angry d-head that wants to get into a fight that is the problem.
Pointing at alcohol as the cause is wrong, it may contribute but is not the sole or main reason.
Maybe harsher penalties to the minute percentage of d-head aggro buffoons rather than making the vast majority of well behaved patrons pay the price is a good starting point.

Actually think the level of violence hasn't increased, it's just that it is now caught on mobile phones and the media driven outrage/ won't somebody think of the children attitude has ramped up. I'm not condoning it by the way, but have been attending football matches since early 80's and there have always been abuse, skirmishes and fist thrown.... but I am a Port supporter so....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People need to actually think about what they do and the potential consequences of their poor choices. Ie. would I like to be the person (or you family member) abused or assaulted, would I like to be charged / locked up & remanded and then imprisoned?
If you think you don’t like the ramifications of the choice, don’t make the poor choice.

Just think. Think and grow better as a society rather than society having to over legislate for the flogs.

Actually think the level of violence hasn't increased, it's just that it is now caught on mobile phones and the media driven outrage/ won't somebody think of the children attitude has ramped up. I'm not condoning it by the way, but have been attending football matches since early 80's and there have always been abuse, skirmishes and fist thrown.... but I am a Port supporter so....

Would agree with this.

Just ban Collingwood supporters, they seem to be the common denominator in most of these incidents.

I think all clubs have idiotic supporters, bad combination of alcohol and tiny brains.

They do that in Scotland and it doesn't stop violence or drunkenness.

If you just ban alcohol people will get off their **** before the game and instead of them losing the plot late in the game they will be feral from the word go.

I've never really understood the Aussie obsession with binge drinking and it is not just something younger boofheads do, it is older people with kids as well who will knock back a beer without the liquid hitting the tongue in the process, just open up the neck and pour it in like a funnel.

I like beer, really like the flavour of it but I don't just guzzle gallons of it in a night and if you drink that amount then you have long past the point you actually consume for taste. It is just a shitty vehicle to get off your face, it is a really uncomfortable volume of liquid which doesn't have that much alcohol in it.

I think being of a southern european nationality, alcohol never really had that same reverence as it does for Aussies, it was never really taboo growing up, I was allowed to have wine since I was about 7 with meal, watered it down when i was younger and only had a small amount but it was never really a symbol of rebellion or adulthood that it seems to be for Australians.

I think we need to change the way we go about it because making it more restricted isn't going to reduce demand and I doubt will impact self-control or moderation by those who have access to it.

1) don't sell booze at AFL games
2) no beverages of any kind allowed to be brought in
3) breathalyse everyone on the way in

There's a lot of hand-wringing when AFL crowds are pretty good when you compare them to what goes on overseas.

I agree that anyone caught fighting or racially vilifying people should get kicked out and not allowed back but I think it would be a mistake to claim that bad crowd behaviour is some kind of crisis.

Australians by and large don’t hold their alcohol very well, so I think it’s a tribute to the magic of the great game of Australian Rules that we don’t see a lot more s**t behaviour at games.

Look at soccer crowds when they start acting up. The scary thing is they don’t even need to be drunk to start acting like dickheads.

If you look up who follows A League/soccer it is predominantly made up of immigrants and 1st generation Australians. They have a different culture.

My opinion is against what most posters here seem to be saying, I think we should allow more biff in the crowd, if it is consensual. If there is a bully then I hope a nice 10v1 occurs to shut them up. Less regulations and penalties in general would be nice.

If you just ban alcohol people will get off their **** before the game and instead of them losing the plot late in the game they will be feral from the word go.

I've never really understood the Aussie obsession with binge drinking and it is not just something younger boofheads do, it is older people with kids as well who will knock back a beer without the liquid hitting the tongue in the process, just open up the neck and pour it in like a funnel.

I like beer, really like the flavour of it but I don't just guzzle gallons of it in a night and if you drink that amount then you have long past the point you actually consume for taste. It is just a shitty vehicle to get off your face, it is a really uncomfortable volume of liquid which doesn't have that much alcohol in it.

I think being of a southern european nationality, alcohol never really had that same reverence as it does for Aussies, it was never really taboo growing up, I was allowed to have wine since I was about 7 with meal, watered it down when i was younger and only had a small amount but it was never really a symbol of rebellion or adulthood that it seems to be for Australians.

I think we need to change the way we go about it because making it more restricted isn't going to reduce demand and I doubt will impact self-control or moderation by those who have access to it.

Good post really. Thing is, Northern Europeans (specifically Germany) also have a similar culture with their booze, in this case beer. The make beers for kids there, it's got like .0001 percent or some such. Point being it's the same sort of casual attitude towards drink where even the kids have it in albeit reduced quantities. You can get a beer practically anywhere there and it's part of the culture/life/lifestyle etc.

Aussies don't have the greatest reputation at their Oktoberfests etc.... Drink too fast, get too stupid.
For some reasons many Aussies drink to get smashed, and then go and do really stupid s**t. There is something crook in our culture imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back