Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also get the sense that we (as AFL fans) sometimes overstate the significance of the Captain in football terms. I tend to have an image/profile in my head of what the archetypal Captain should be like, that perception is heavily influenced by what I see in cricket and AFL etc.

At Arsenal in particular, it’s been more so a ceremonial/ambassador type position. There are lots of off-field duties and responsibilities to attend to. Over the past decade though, there’s been large chunks of time where that designated Captain can’t even get into the playing XI.

There are and should be many others who show leadership on the pitch. Aubameyang wasn’t necessarily that type of player on the field. I think there are more natural leaders at the club and it will probably land with one of them longer term, Ramsdale seems a standout given how much media etc he’s done so far since joining.

I also get the sense that we (as AFL fans) sometimes overstate the significance of the Captain in football terms. I tend to have an image/profile in my head of what the archetypal Captain should be like, that perception is heavily influenced by what I see in cricket and AFL etc.

At Arsenal in particular, it’s been more so a ceremonial/ambassador type position. There are lots of off-field duties and responsibilities to attend to. Over the past decade though, there’s been large chunks of time where that designated Captain can’t even get into the playing XI.

There are and should be many others who show leadership on the pitch. Aubameyang wasn’t necessarily that type of player on the field. I think there are more natural leaders at the club and it will probably land with one of them longer term, Ramsdale seems a standout given how much media etc he’s done so far since joining.
im not so sure.. I think arsenal have just chosen really poorly for a while now

im not so sure.. I think arsenal have just chosen really poorly for a while now

Yes we have, in part because there aren’t really that many Tony Adams/Roy Keane types anymore. And we have chosen players in the past who aren’t even in the best XI we have. Mertesacker, Vermaelen etc. And when we’ve chosen our best player as captain, they end up walking (RvP, Fabregas etc). It’s been been a very odd thing to watch over the last decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good result here. We have played West Ham at a good time. Really though makes you wonder why this team didn't show up vs Everton.

Away form has been very average this season. Really needs to improve.

At home though, different story. This was quite a strong performance overall and it could have been 4 or 5 nil.

Really pleased to see Martinelli putting together some good performances, hopefully this is the start of things to come.

ESR is brilliant. He's on course for 15 odd goals this season which would be a revelation.

And the back 5 were excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back