Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Now as things stand we know the Emery is pretty much doing as much as could be expected so far this season after the dire state Wenger left us in. But the question that has me thinking is when can we next realistically challenge for league title ?

When I look at our squad I think we need 2 starting CB’s, a LB & LW. Obviously we won’t get all 4 over one transfer window. It’s also debatable as to if Leno can be a no 1 keeper in a title winning EPL side but I’ll reserve judgement on him for now.

Is Emery the man to make this happen ? Even if we make these signings will it take to long and the declines of Aubameyang and Ozil hit full swing ?

We’re going to need 3 or so seriously good transfer windows before I think we can expect a title challenge, last summer we had holes in defence, central midfield and out wide. At least we fixed the central midfield issue by sighing the top notch Torreira and a young talented player like Doozi.

All in all my assessment leads me to beleive the earliest we can expect a title challenge is the 20/21 season, but we’d need to make a lot of good decisions to make that happen. I’m not sure as I’ve said previously Emery has this sort of scope, but one can hope hey ?

I don’t see us ever winning a title while Stan is owner and City are allowed to breach (or exploit) FFP as they have been.

I don’t see us ever winning a title while Stan is owner and City are allowed to breach (or exploit) FFP as they have been.

Yeah neither do I tbh, but Liverpool have turned themselves into a legit contender on a budget, they've just made lots of very shrewd transfer decisions and got a top manager.

Yeah neither do I tbh, but Liverpool have turned themselves into a legit contender on a budget, they've just made lots of very shrewd transfer decisions and got a top manager.

No reason we can’t do what they did with Sven in charge, he also did the same with Dortmund.

What they’ve been able to get out of guys like Mane, Firminho and Salah especially (he’s true world class) is amazing for them on the money they spent.

As much as I love Arsene it feels like the stubbornness is gone. Guendouzi and Torreira in particular look like they’re gonna be stars.

Not to mention Reiss Nelson is tearing up the Bundesliga, his return will be very exciting.

71 minutes into Koscielny, very handy. Nacho fit again too, has come at a good time considering Holding’s injury.

I know very little about some of the youth guys who played, but looking forward to seeing them on the replay today.

71 minutes into Koscielny, very handy. Nacho fit again too, has come at a good time considering Holding’s injury.

I know very little about some of the youth guys who played, but looking forward to seeing them on the replay today.

Unai Emery was full of praise for 17-year-old debutant Bukayo Saka after his energetic performance during Arsenal's 1-0 win against Qarabag in Europe on Thursday evening.

Joe Willock and Eddie Nketiah were also given a run out, but it was Saka who impressed most on the left-hand side, showing off his electrifying pace and dribbling ability.

The Englishman was unlucky not to grab a debut goal and always looked a threat in the final third, ultimately earning a glowing review from his manager.

"Every young player, we have the responsibility to give them chances, first to train with us and to be demanding with their performances," Emery told a post-match press conference.

"We give them these chances in the games like today when we can do that.

"They show us in every match positive things. Today Saka also played with a good performance, with a very big personality and we were speaking at half-time.

Exciting times ahead with Saka and ESR

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unai Emery was full of praise for 17-year-old debutant Bukayo Saka after his energetic performance during Arsenal's 1-0 win against Qarabag in Europe on Thursday evening.

Joe Willock and Eddie Nketiah were also given a run out, but it was Saka who impressed most on the left-hand side, showing off his electrifying pace and dribbling ability.

The Englishman was unlucky not to grab a debut goal and always looked a threat in the final third, ultimately earning a glowing review from his manager.

"Every young player, we have the responsibility to give them chances, first to train with us and to be demanding with their performances," Emery told a post-match press conference.

"We give them these chances in the games like today when we can do that.

"They show us in every match positive things. Today Saka also played with a good performance, with a very big personality and we were speaking at half-time.

Exciting times ahead with Saka and ESR
Left back or winger?

Its only been over the past 18 months that he has played consistently on the wing, prior to that he played predominantly at left back. If Emery sticks to three at the back I wouldn't be opposed to giving games as left wing back for home games against the lesser sides or at least have him make the bench. Saka, Amaechi and Nelson should all be fast tracked and given opportunities whilst there aren't many ahead of them, which if they take their opportunities we can spend elsewhere to improve the team.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel now, far too many holes in the list and can’t keep a clean sheet to save ourselves.

Ozil has been horrendous since coming on. Doesn't even look like he wants to run.

I can appreciate what Emery is doing, but despite the improvement we’re still an unpredictable side that rides their luck and usually need 2-3 goals to win a game. The fact we’ve not lead a game at HT this season is a huge worry - we spend too many petrol tickets fighting our way back every game and the injuries are piling up.

Sign a CB this window, another in September, and sell Ozil. Even with Emery doing well top 4 is beyond us - and fixing the backline for next season should be the priority.

Last edited:
I can appreciate what Emery is doing, but despite the improvement we’re still an unpredictable side that rides their luck and usually need 2-3 goals to win a game. The fact we’ve not lead a game at HT this season is a huge worry - we spend too many petrol tickets fighting our way back every game and the injuries are piling up.

Sign a CB this window, another in September, and sell Ozil. Even with Emery doing well top 4 is beyond us - and fixing the backline for next season should be the priority.

What improvement. They only difference between this season and last is we have Torriera and so far we've had Lacazette and PEA for most games. We are conceding more chances and creating less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back