Preview **UPDATE** Changes vs. Sydney - Saturday 11.45am WST

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with dropping players who are out of form is we don't have a decent seconds competition for them to find form in. Darling is a confidence player. Sitting out a game won't improve this.

The problem with dropping players who are out of form is we don't have a decent seconds competition for them to find form in. Darling is a confidence player. Sitting out a game won't improve this.

Meh sends a message at least.

They play GC seconds on Saturday so let him go there and get some confidence and if he gets no goals playing for them....

Darling at his best is a beast but atm he is in his worst form over his 200 game career.

They play GC seconds on Saturday so let him go there and get some confidence and if he gets no goals playing for them....

Darling at his best is a beast but atm he is in his worst form over his 200 game career.

For me you only drop someone like Darling, someone with talent and in their prime years, if he's not putting the work in. If he's working hard but things just aren't falling for him, playing him in the ressies wont' change anything. You're better off changing his role up to get things working again (for example, make his focus on forward pressure/tackles rather than being a target).

The question is, has Darling been working hard or has he been sulking? It's hard to tell watching on TV, all I see is fumbles and dropped marks which doesn't necessarily reflect effort.

For me you only drop someone like Darling, someone with talent and in their prime years, if he's not putting the work in. If he's working hard but things just aren't falling for him, playing him in the ressies wont' change anything. You're better off changing his role up to get things working again (for example, make his focus on forward pressure/tackles rather than being a target).

The question is, has Darling been working hard or has he been sulking? It's hard to tell watching on TV, all I see is fumbles and dropped marks which doesn't necessarily reflect effort.

100% agree BUT ive watched Darling closely and he just isn't doing those 1%'s he would always do even if he wasn't having a good game goal wise.

I mean you could be right in that he could be doing more around the ground that the TV doesnt show.

4 touches at 0%DE, 1 mark, 1 tackle and 3 clangers from 100% TOG in your 200th game has got to sting.

Darling is a club great. As much as i'd like to see some accountability you've got to put the challenge to him and give him the chance to bounce back.

Another poor showing against Sydney, particularly if we lose, will have the pitchforks out. You can't cling to past achievements and performances forever.

Will be pretty shocked if you guys don't get on top of the Swannies this week. Got more class in all areas of the ground. I'm hoping our boys bounce back and give you a scare but could see this easily becoming a blowout.
we don't do blowouts.

We pretty much win uninspiringly or lose by 30-40 most weeks since the start of 2019.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will be pretty shocked if you guys don't get on top of the Swannies this week. Got more class in all areas of the ground. I'm hoping our boys bounce back and give you a scare but could see this easily becoming a blowout.

Your guys have something ours don't which is hunger and determination, ours are soft unfortunately atm, which is prob why you will get over the line this week. I've never seen the Swans put in half hearted efforts like the Eagles have this season.

Ok, having a crack at today’s announcement

Out: Schofield (brainfart), Hickey
In: McGovern, Allen

B: Sheppard, Barrass, Hurn
HB: Jetta, McGovern, Duggan
C: Gaff, Shuey, Redden
HF: Cripps, Darling, Sheed
F: Ryan, Kennedy, Ah Chee
R: Naitanui, Kelly, Yeo
I: Allen, Cole, Brander, Jones
E: Hickey, Waterman, Rotham, Petruccelle

Allen instead of Williams to back up in the ruck. I’d prefer the latter but I think if he was going to debut we’d have heard whispers already.

Axe otherwise stays unswung.

I guess Hawthorn lucked out and had a group of players who wanted to win again and again compared to ours who are content with one flag.

Tom Barrass' comments last year were surreal. I've followed footy since the Brisbane dynasty and I have yet to hear/read a player be as apathetic as him. Drop him and play players who want to win. It's no surprise he cost us the last two games last year. He couldn't give a sh*t.

Just remind me how the Hawks did in 2009, 2010, 2011 if you wouldn't mind

Ok, having a crack at today’s announcement

Out: Schofield (brainfart), Hickey
In: McGovern, Allen

Surely the MC isn't that brave/blatantly stupid to publicly endorse what Hickey brings then have it fail and immediately revert back to what we did a fortnight prior.

They'd have to give him at least another week before making that change. Otherwise where is their credibility?

Different story if it's Williams.

Surely the MC isn't that brave/blatantly stupid to publicly endorse what Hickey brings then have it fail and immediately revert back to what we did a fortnight prior.

They'd have to give him at least another week before making that change. Otherwise where is their credibility?

ForcefulMistyDikkops-size_restricted.gif

Imagine such pearlers as "Mitch Brown to the Forward pocket" are spiralling down the bowl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a bit of horses for courses, they could paint it that way.

If they made a mistake, best to fix it and not make another one by playing him again.

Hickey brings nothing to the table.

It’s a bit of horses for courses, they could paint it that way.

Painting 🎨 it that way would be like saying they are going to make a bold statement then going out on a limb and painting the team BEIGE.

If we are to bring another ruckman in it’s not Oscar it should be Williams, well that’s the way I would like to see them go.
I know it’s a novel idea to play a ruckman in the ruck rather that a young developing KPP but you never know it just might have some merit.

If they made a mistake, best to fix it and not make another one by playing him again.

Well, yeah. I'm certainly not campaigning for Hickey to be retained.

However it just make the initial mistake look all the more stupid. Which is saying something considering it was dumb right off the bat.

If they hurried up and brought in Williams (He was the best second ruck all pre season FFS) then they wouldn't be in this debacle.

Painting 🎨 it that way would be like saying they are going to make a bold statement then going out on a limb and painting the team BEIGE.

If we are to bring another ruckman in it’s not Oscar it should be Williams, well that’s the way I would like to see them go.
I know it’s a novel idea to play a ruckman in the ruck rather that a young developing KPP but you never know it just might have some merit.

I want to see a Williams debut too. I just feel like if it was going to happen this week we would’ve heard already.

Mind you, I don’t think we knew about Jones’ debut until teams came out, so maybe I’m being pessimistic for nothing.

Hickey brings nothing to the table when you pick an endurance #1 Ruck in and play him for 40% TOG.

It's another classic example of how out of touch our MC is. Did they think Hickey was suddenly going to become an athletic beast at low TOG?

There will be no wholesale changes to the team this week. None

Simpson will most likely drop Ah Chee and Brander for Waterman and Allen and crow about how hard he and the match committee have swung the axe 🙄

No excuse this week. Best 22 with Gov back.. ideal football conditions low 20s, clear, and next to no humidity.. playing against a side we have covered for talent (in the skills department not necessarily upstairs). Should really be belting them by 40+ if we’re serious, although would be happy with any win after the last couple of weeks. Season is cooked if we can’t win with all those things in our favour.

There will be no wholesale changes to the team this week. None

Simpson will most likely drop Ah Chee and Brander for Waterman and Allen and crow about how hard he and the match committee have swung the axe 🙄

What an odd comment.

There were four changes last week, all unforced. Can you point to one single example of Simpson crowing about how hard they swung the axe?

how about hickey out, allen in. with allen and JD share the back up ruck role. darling was pretty good with the forward 50 ruck duties last year. could get him in the game more.

Doesn't Darling have two kids under 5 and a beautiful wife sitting 4500km away? I feel for the bloke. That is an unbearably unjust perfect reciepe for s**t form. Once again * you vAFL

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back