News Update: Charles Cameron traded to Brisbane for Pick 12

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think that would happen - us turning it down, that is!

My view is that 12 would well overs and a start the car moment. (And I don't think that's a very out there or controversial view!)

Brisbane are surely trying to make it 18/19 (or 20, whatever it is now) - which to me would be something we might reluctantly accept and probably fair enough too.

As for holding him to his contract - well, it's all been said, one way or another, in this thread. I'd rather take 18 now than play the game again at the end of next year, hoping that (1) he has a good/great season and maintains/increases his value, AND (2) his uncontracted vs contracted status doesn't offset that. IMO at his current level, and uncontracted, we'd be very lucky to get something like 18 for him next year.

As for his headspace / ability to contribute his best (and impact on the playing group) - who can say. I'd like to think the people inside the club have a better handle on that than we do. Away from the public faffing of his manager.

Makes me think - maybe every smart club should reserve a space on their list for "player who doesn't want to be with us" and not expect to get any value from that spot, except the value of not being taken for a ride by contracted players.

End of the day, whatever's going on in his head, I think Charlie has been - as I think Nikki said a while back - very badly advised/served by his manager and others around him.
Of a player chooses to sit out a year, can the club sue for breach of contract and claim damages?

That would put the cat amongst the pigeons

Free Agency Years (incorporating current contracts)

Atkins 2020
Betts 2021
Brown 2020
Cameron 2021
Cheney 2022
B.Crouch 2020
M.Crouch 2021
Davis 2024
Dear 2022
Doedee 2023
Douglas 2018
CEY 2019
Gallucci 2024
Greenwood 2023
Hampton 2023
Hartigan 2020
Himmelberg 2024
Jacobs 2019
Jenkins 2021
Keath 2023
Kelly 2021
Knight 2021
Laird 2019
Lynch 2019
Mackay 2018
McGovern 2022
Milera 2023
O'Brien 2022
Otten 2018
Poholke 2024
Seedsman 2023
Signorello 2024
Sloane 2018
Smith 2018

Talia 2021
Walker 2021

Only two must resigns in that list, and one has done an ACL so should be decently trivial. Lets just hope we can get Sloane done quickly.

Who knows we may lose Mackay :D

Don't like your chances with Mayes. He's very settled and his girlfriend just landed a dream job with Triple Eight Racing.

Plus the club is desperate to keep and add players in that age range. Thus our interest in Cameron.

Really felt like Reid was saying "get us Gibbs" to Brisbane today.
That's what I was hearing

I don't think that would happen - us turning it down, that is!

My view is that 12 would well overs and a start the car moment. (And I don't think that's a very out there or controversial view!)

Brisbane are surely trying to make it 18/19 (or 20, whatever it is now) - which to me would be something we might reluctantly accept and probably fair enough too.

As for holding him to his contract - well, it's all been said, one way or another, in this thread. I'd rather take 18 now than play the game again at the end of next year, hoping that (1) he has a good/great season and maintains/increases his value, AND (2) his uncontracted vs contracted status doesn't offset that. IMO at his current level, and uncontracted, we'd be very lucky to get something like 18 for him next year.

As for his headspace / ability to contribute his best (and impact on the playing group) - who can say. I'd like to think the people inside the club have a better handle on that than we do. Away from the public faffing of his manager.

Makes me think - maybe every smart club should reserve a space on their list for "player who doesn't want to be with us" and not expect to get any value from that spot, except the value of not being taken for a ride by contracted players.

End of the day, whatever's going on in his head, I think Charlie has been - as I think Nikki said a while back - very badly advised/served by his manager and others around him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dead
I think the worry is that we saw how poorly he played this year, with the supposed concern regarding leaving, will he be able to push it all out of his mind next year? Or will he have another year of sub par performances.

Personally, if a player doesn't want to play with us, I'd rather get them out sooner rather than later. A pick inside the top 20 is a very good deal given Charlies complete lack of consistency and I understand the part about not wanting to lose another best 22 player, but I just don't see the point in trying to keep him around. I see it as much creating discord amongst the remaining players who have/are committed to the club, as anything else.

I was similar with Tippett, if the player isn't committed to staying, as long as you're getting a half reasonable deal, move him on.

I'd rather now be investing time into Hampton/Gallucci/Poholke in the position, than waste it on a guy who's checked out already.

That has to BS! 12 for a player that does not want to be here and has played maybe 4-5 good games in 2017 and they turn that down, that would be a massive mistake. C'mon get real.

The reporter got it wrong, no where has it been mentioned we were offered 12 and knocked it back.
Yeah I should have watched it before commentating

We haven’t knocked it back just that any deal has to land us a player that makes us better.

I get the feeling that Reid and SOS are working this one together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back