News Vale Danny Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah I think it's exactly the sort of thing Spud would have laughed his arse off about. It was clearly said in jest.

Could not fault the service. Laughs, tears, reflection. A stirring lap of honour. The only thing that went wrong was the foxtel broadcast timing out in the middle of Lyon's speech. But the beautiful day turned on was great and it was a good way to get some closure and pay my respects and I congratulate the family, friends and colleagues who were all brave and did Spud's memory proud.

Could not fault the service. Laughs, tears, reflection. A stirring lap of honour. The only thing that went wrong was the foxtel broadcast timing out in the middle of Lyon's speech. But the beautiful day turned on was great and it was a good way to get some closure and pay my respects and I congratulate the family, friends and colleagues who were all brave and did Spud's memory proud.
Watched it live on Fox for a bit Jason Dunstalls speech was from the heart and he shed a tear , Lyons speech was good however in this day and age I don’t know how the yarn about the celebrity trots race in Ballarat when he said Spud pulled out the whip and beat the crap out of this old horse he’d been lent would be received. It was supposed to be an example of how competitive he was and no whips were allowed but Danny F had one hidden and produced and used it when he looked like he was going to lose the race . Regardless of it being a funeral anecdote I think certain sections of the public would’ve been up in arms at that .

Last edited:

Watched it live in Fox for a bit Jason Dunstalls speech was from the heart and he shed a tear , Lyons speech was good however in this day and age I don’t know how the yarn about the celebrity trots race in Ballarat when he said Spud pulled out the whip and beat the crap out of this old horse he’d been lent would be received. It was supposed to be an example of how competitive he was and no whips were allowed but Danny F had one hidden and produced and used it when he looked like he was going to lose the race . Regardless of it being a funeral anecdote I think certain sections of the public would’ve been up in arms at that .

Well like Lyon said Spud himself didn't care for being PC.

Was tough to watch. Some great stories and heartfelt speeches. Personally fount it a bit disappointing that Campbell tried to incorporate the 'let Toby play' discussion into his speech but maybe that was just me.

The yarn about a fan giving him coaching advice at the urinal at half time and then Spud implementing said advice was golden.
What did Campbell say?

Not sure whether it has been mentioned but I turned on the Storm, Raiders game on the weekend and was surprised that they held a minute's silence for Frawley before the game. Really impressive.

It may not be an entirely legitimate comparison but it would be a bit like a Phil Gould or Fatty Vaughtan passing away and the AFL holding a minute's silence at the MCG on Friday night.

Maybe Frawley may have had some connection with the rival code that is unheralded or that he just had a greater influence on Australian sport in general than we realise.

Not sure whether it has been mentioned but I turned on the Storm, Raiders game on the weekend and was surprised that they held a minute's silence for Frawley before the game. Really impressive.

It may not be an entirely legitimate comparison but it would be a bit like a Phil Gould or Fatty Vaughtan passing away and the AFL holding a minute's silence at the MCG on Friday night.

Maybe Frawley may have had some connection with the rival code that is unheralded or that he just had a greater influence on Australian sport in general than we realise.

More an influence on Melbourne I would say, I doubt hard core rugby fans north would know who he was.

I liked Spud from what I knew of him on TV.
I did not know him personally.
I know he was a flint hard full back for the Saints.

I hope that tonight was a fitting end to his story.

Watched it live on Fox for a bit Jason Dunstalls speech was from the heart and he shed a tear , Lyons speech was good however in this day and age I don’t know how the yarn about the celebrity trots race in Ballarat when he said Spud pulled out the whip and beat the crap out of this old horse he’d been lent would be received. It was supposed to be an example of how competitive he was and no whips were allowed but Danny F had one hidden and produced and used it when he looked like he was going to lose the race . Regardless of it being a funeral anecdote I think certain sections of the public would’ve been up in arms at that .
You honestly can't say anything these days without some nuff taking offence, so I doubt Garry Lyon nor anyone in the room really gave a * to be honest

Just wanted to say, for those who never watched Danny F and Dunstall over the last ten years, those two together are probably the funniest duo in football, it’s a mere coincidence that they were also great players, some might not have known if they never tuned in, but those two together were just brilliantly funny football personalities and like best buddies as well on radio and on Foxtel. A lot of that goes amiss for people as they weren’t really on free to air tv formats.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine getting triggered by this. Boy oh boy, wowee.

Imagine being triggered by animal abuse?

I'm not saying this was the case here, maybe Gary put some Mayo on it to be a good story.. but lord help you if that doesn't trigger you.
It's a ******* funeral story mate piss off

0c48d78a14ed83abb51ebc6de951fc074bb3fb58

I'm not saying this was the case here, maybe Gary put some Mayo on it to be a good story.. but lord help you if that doesn't trigger you.
I heard not everyone at the funeral was vegan. Makes me sick really

Imagine getting triggered by this. Boy oh boy, wowee.
I’ll say it again I wasn’t at all triggered or offended myself my point was someone would’ve been. If Lyon hadve told the same yarn at a sportsman’s night they would’ve been
All over him .He basically said that Spud belted the crap out of the horse with a whip .

Thousand of cats are currently ripping the heads of birds, lions eating zebras alive, bigger fish eating little fish..

And yet your main focus of concern is a horse been smacked on the skin.

Tragic end for a legend..
I always felt that he was a troubled soul, he always put on a brave front, but I wasn’t surprised at his passing.

Vale Danny.. RIP

Tragic end for a legend..
I always felt that he was a troubled soul, he always put on a brave front, but I wasn’t surprised at his passing.

Vale Danny.. RIP

I never once knew about his troubles and have been following this sport for a good 25+ years now.
Didn't even realize he opened up about his mental state 5-6 years ago either. I assume this was something that was well publicized on pay tv? We have never had pay tv or anything like that so that may explain things.

To me, he always came across as a laid back individual who would of been more than obliging if you wanted to stop him in his tracks and ask a question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back