Cars & Transportation Vent about all things traffic

Remove this Banner Ad

As the resident cyclist id say yes. Those two are cardinal sins to me, never ride on a footpath (and if you absolutely have to, do it at walking pace and remember you dont belong there). Same for the pedestrian crossing (assuming you had right of way).
The only thing I'd say about this is, pedestrians say bikes don't belong on the footpath, cars say bikes don't belong on the road, leaving bikes what exactly when there isn't a purpose built bike path (which is then called a 'shared path' anyway and the same problems continue). I don't know about Victoria, but here in WA rules were changed to say bikes are allowed on footpaths. My rule is simply be courteous... I don't slow to walking pace on shared paths if I see a pedestrian, but I do slow down, ring my bell. Often get a wave of acknowledgment, which is great. But you always have the pedestrian that panics and darts the wrong way or has headphones in, which is why it pays to slow down.

Last edited:
I went through a Militant Walker Phase when I would tick off cyclists riding on footpaths. Get on the xhebxyrming road you coward. Plenty of times got told to gagf, but sometimes they apologised and moved on to the road. Other pedestrians approved.

there is a narrow pedestrian bridge across the Yarra which is clearly marked no cycling. Blocked a cyclist doing the wrong thing. We had a funny argument with me pointing out the no cycling sign and him saying it was faded and hard to read. Another couple of of much more radical walkers threatened to toss his bike into the river. Cooler heads prevailed on that and the bloke dismounted and walked his bike off the bridge.

The only thing I'd say about this is, pedestrians say bikes don't belong on the footpath, cars say bikes don't belong on the road, leaving bikes what exactly where when there isn't a purpose built bike path (which is then called a 'shared path' anyway and the same problems continue). I don't know about Victoria, but here in WA rules were changed to say bikes are allowed on footpaths. My rule is simply be courteous... I don't slow to walking pace on shared paths if I see a pedestrian, but I do slow down, ring my bell. Often get a wave of acknowledgment, which is great. But you always have the pedestrian that panics and darts the wrong way or has headphones in, which is why it pays to slow down.
illegal unless you are under 12 in Melbourne iirc.

The only thing I'd say about this is, pedestrians say bikes don't belong on the footpath, cars say bikes don't belong on the road, leaving bikes what exactly when there isn't a purpose built bike path (which is then called a 'shared path' anyway and the same problems continue). I don't know about Victoria, but here in WA rules were changed to say bikes are allowed on footpaths. My rule is simply be courteous... I don't slow to walking pace on shared paths if I see a pedestrian, but I do slow down, ring my bell. Often get a wave of acknowledgment, which is great. But you always have the pedestrian that panics and darts the wrong way or has headphones in, which is why it pays to slow down.
I stand to be corrected but legally cyclists do belong on the road and do not belong on the footpath (unless theyre under x age).

Im certainly not saying ive never ridden on a footpath (there is a section along Princes highway that sort of demands it unless you wanna ride on that road) but if im on the footpath im conscious that i shouldnt be there and give everyone else a wide berth (on the nature strip if needed).

Shared paths are different to footpath IMO.

I went through a Militant Walker Phase when I would tick off cyclists riding on footpaths. Get on the xhebxyrming road you coward. Plenty of times got told to gagf, but sometimes they apologised and moved on to the road. Other pedestrians approved.

there is a narrow pedestrian bridge across the Yarra which is clearly marked no cycling. Blocked a cyclist doing the wrong thing. We had a funny argument with me pointing out the no cycling sign and him saying it was faded and hard to read. Another couple of of much more radical walkers threatened to toss his bike into the river. Cooler heads prevailed on that and the bloke dismounted and walked his bike off the bridge.
I think in reality if both cyclist and walker are being reasonable then its gonna be fine all round. If either or both are gonna be flogs then its going to get escalated.

The only "out" i give to cyclists is that pedestrians are completely ****ing oblivious to bike lanes and on shared paths often walking all over the place with absolutely no regard to other people (i include joggers and dog walkers and the like as well).

Ive shared stories of the bike lanes in the city before and having pedestrians with headphones in or faces buried in their phones stepping into oncoming cyclists. It does get frustrating BUT just as i wouldnt want to be judged by every dickhead cyclist i wouldnt want to judge every pedestrian based off the dickheads.

When i travel on the bike path near the new South Gippsland Highway, and then use the pedestrian crossing to cross princess highway, they have purposely built a dogleg with a fence around it, and put up a sign that says "cyclists must dismount" . I promise i will do so, as soon as i see a pedestrian there.

I often exit the crossing when i get to the LHS of princess HWY , then just turn into the service road as soon as i can , before the maniacs get their green light to run me down from behind.

As a daily bike commuter there definitely is a lot of ****wit cyclists. Idiots run reds or don't slow down at all at intersections just asking for trouble. Also until you are on the bike you don't realise how completely unaware your average pedestrian is. I've had people straight up walk into my stationary bike at a traffic light crossings (shared paths) glued to their phones and have a go at me. Also try and use the bell as little as possible as it seems to make people think they've been transferred to the shadow realm and jump all over them place making it even worse.

Anyway, should be more seperated bike paths instead of shared paths which just invite trouble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, just go single file and let cars, who pay rego, use the bloody road. Selfish, you have a bike lane, stay in it
Ignoring the stupid argument that's been proved misleading time and time again, when bikes ride single file, plenty of cars see the bike on the left, car in the right lane and think, **** it, I'll make it, sideswiping the cyclist in the process. Riding two abreast forces the car to wait and overtake only when it's safe, something they should be doing naturally.

I only ever ride on my own to work, so it's not an issue for me, but given the number of shit motorists around, I understand it.

Truckies are my no.1 that I hate.

****ing rude inconsiderate pricks who scare the hell out of me.

/and no- I dont cut in front of them, ever.
I don't mind driving to Perth on Thursday or Friday arvo/night only problem is you to negotiate passing 15-20 trucks.

Road is pretty good these days with quite a few overtaking lanes but it's still a hassle.

I don't mind driving to Perth on Thursday or Friday arvo/night only problem is you to negotiate passing 15-20 trucks.

Road is pretty good these days with quite a few overtaking lanes but it's still a hassle.
Trucks are not allowed in the right lane on the Princes.

Shits me to tears- I just want them the **** away from me and not terrorising me in the left fking lane.

Trucks are not allowed in the right lane on the Princes.

Shits me to tears- I just want them the * away from me and not terrorising me in the left fking lane.
I reckon they are usually some of the better road users.

Exception is with using the right lane as you say, the odd selfish flog will overtake in front of you in an overtaking lane slowly inching around another truck or 2.. and then you have f*** all time/room left to do it yourself. Let the car that will just fly around in a small fraction of time go first.

I reckon they are usually some of the better road users.

Exception is with using the right lane as you say, the odd selfish flog will overtake in front of you in an overtaking lane slowly inching around another truck or 2.. and then you have f*** all time/room left to do it yourself. Let the car that will just fly around in a small fraction of time go first.
Yeah well my usual experience with them on the freeways is them up my ass.

I loathe them, they can get ****ed.

I used to work next to the port here in Brisbane and can confidently say the truck drivers there were the worst the road has to offer. It's to do with deadlines which just made these people completely unhinged driving up people's ass and merging dangerously.

Which makes Ute driving even crazier. No deadlines, No desire to work, yet always driving like they want to kill someone

Do you have these nice little things.
Bike lanes that suddenly appear on a busy three lane road for about 5 or 10 meters , then disappear again?

Do you have these nice little things.
Bike lanes that suddenly appear on a busy three lane road for about 5 or 10 meters , then disappear again?
Not that I know of, but then, you'd never catch me dead riding my bike on a three-lane highway (and there's a few near me). I find alternative routes that keep me on quieter streets. Along the train line is the best.

When i travel on the bike path near the new South Gippsland Highway, and then use the pedestrian crossing to cross princess highway, they have purposely built a dogleg with a fence around it, and put up a sign that says "cyclists must dismount" . I promise i will do so, as soon as i see a pedestrian there.

I often exit the crossing when i get to the LHS of princess HWY , then just turn into the service road as soon as i can , before the maniacs get their green light to run me down from behind.
Yeh, i think the same with cyclists who slow down and creep on the red for a pedestrian or traffic light (i do it to get ahead of the cars who i know arent going to move around me if im directly alongside them) etc. Being reasonable about breaking rules seems okay to me but again, doing shit like that in built up/busy areas is asking for trouble.
As a daily bike commuter there definitely is a lot of ******* cyclists. Idiots run reds or don't slow down at all at intersections just asking for trouble. Also until you are on the bike you don't realise how completely unaware your average pedestrian is. I've had people straight up walk into my stationary bike at a traffic light crossings (shared paths) glued to their phones and have a go at me. Also try and use the bell as little as possible as it seems to make people think they've been transferred to the shadow realm and jump all over them place making it even worse.

Anyway, should be more seperated bike paths instead of shared paths which just invite trouble.
I gave up on the bell and just yell now, its more effective if sometimes a little jarring.
Shits me no end when cyclists ride 2 wide so you can't overtake. So bloody selfish

For every 1 good cyclist there's 10 *******s.

Nah, just go single file and let cars, who pay rego, use the bloody road. Selfish, you have a bike lane, stay in it
Cool story mate.
Not that I know of, but then, you'd never catch me dead riding my bike on a three-lane highway (and there's a few near me). I find alternative routes that keep me on quieter streets. Along the train line is the best.
Agreed, i use slip lanes and the like along Princes Highway, ive ridden on that road once when i got on the wheel of a bloke absolutely flying, never again its insanity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back