Coaching Staff VFL Head Coach: Brent Stanton - Part time runner for the AFL team? - 21/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Former Essendon star Brent Stanton will return to the club as its VFL coach in 2022.

The 35-year-old re-joins the club he played 255 games for after spending four seasons at Carlton in various coaching roles.

Following a 13-season career at the Bombers, where he currently sits 13th for most games played, Stanton arrived at the Blues as a development coach at the end of the 2017 season.

He then rapidly rose through the ranks to become an assistant coach, having also overseen Carlton’s midfield and ball transition in recent seasons.

Stanton is a highly regarded figure within the NEC Hangar, having earned seven top-five placings in the Crichton Medal count during his career, which included three third-places and one runner-up.

Mahoney says:
General manager of football Josh Mahoney said Stanton’s appointment was an important step for the club as it looks to put more resources into its VFL program.

“Our VFL program plays a very important role in the development of our AFL-listed players, as well as an avenue for VFL-listed players to maximise their potential. We’re delighted to have Brent return to the NEC Hangar as the VFL senior coach,” Mahoney said.

“He’s a much-loved figure here at Essendon after forging a wonderful career as a player.

“This appointment benefits both the club and Brent. This additional resource allows experienced coach Leigh Tudor to focus entirely on the development of our AFL players, as well as being an important next step in Brent’s coaching career to coach his own team.

“We look forward to him getting familiar with our game style and having a positive impact on our VFL program.”

Stants says:
Stanton said he was thrilled to return home.

“I’m really excited by the opportunity to coach the Bombers’ VFL side,” Stanton said.

“I have so much admiration for this club which I called home for the whole of my playing career.

“It’s clear to see the talent unearthed at the club this year, and I’m determined to facilitate an environment which helps our younger and developing players grow in our VFL program to ensure they’re ready to impact at AFL level.”

Stanton is one of three additions to the Bombers’ 2022 coaching line-up, joining new forwards coach Dale Tapping and part-time development coach Alex Rance.

eth-dog so Tudor is going to be exclusively working with the AFL development players now. Don't know what that means for Cam Roberts though? (In the Mahoney quotes.)

I'm not sure how I feel about this. He didn't appear to be doing a smashing job at Carlton. Should I be excited? Someone tell me how to feel please.
I'm not convinced anyone looks like they're doing a smashing job at Carlton. Is it because they're all garbage at their jobs, or just not an environment where anyone looks good?

He was in charge of the midfield at Carlton so yeah, doesn't seem like a great appointment, unless we sent him there as a double agent. I wonder if he does the 2 km TT with them, IIRC he has done with Carlton and was finishing pretty high up the board still.

Still no stoppages coach bemuses me

I'm not convinced anyone looks like they're doing a smashing job at Carlton. Is it because they're all garbage at their jobs, or just not an environment where anyone looks good?

A bit of column A, bit of column B?

Doesn't (didn't) seem like the best environment, but they also cheaped out on their assistant coaches.

He was in charge of the midfield at Carlton so yeah, doesn't seem like a great appointment, unless we sent him there as a double agent. I wonder if he does the 2 km TT with them, IIRC he has done with Carlton and was finishing pretty high up the board still.

Still no stoppages coach bemuses me
A midfield full of unaccountable half-backs and front runners though, with Patrick Cripps playing under an injury cloud. The tail really does seem to wag the dog at Carlton. Not saying he's a good midfield coach I just don't think there's a lot of evidence either way under those circumstances.

Hopefully walking into an established VFL program that already has things set up and the previous head coach and senior assistant still there, he should just be doing what we were already doing and running the same game plan as we have at AFL level as devised by Rutten and Caracella. We're not asking him to reinvent our VFL team so they play like Carlton.

A midfield full of unaccountable half-backs and front runners though, with Patrick Cripps playing under an injury cloud. The tail really does seem to wag the dog at Carlton. Not saying he's a good midfield coach I just don't think there's a lot of evidence either way under those circumstances.

Hopefully walking into an established VFL program that already has things set up and the previous head coach and senior assistant still there, he should just be doing what we were already doing and running the same game plan as we have at AFL level as devised by Rutten and Caracella. We're not asking him to reinvent our VFL team so they play like Carlton.
I'm on the fence until we see what happens but on face value it doesn't seem like a great appointment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t want to hate on a bloke who gave so much to club. But he’d want to hit the ground running is all I’ll say…

Was also a development coach to start, and they had some of the worst development in the comp.

Player I know was at northern blues where Stanton took listed and non listed players for development work. He said Stanton was easily the best of development
and line coaches at Carlton. Said he has an excellent football brain and reads the game as it unfolds. Don’t know how this will translate into coaching his own team but hope that he does well. Have met him a couple of times at Banyule FC and he seems like a decent bloke.

Wow Stanton's role has not changed.

Who the hell knows when assistants and development coaches are doing well.

For every assistant who is responsible for a dysfunctional part of the ground there is a senior coach taking credit for something that is all the assistant's doing, or so I am supposed to believe.

Stanton to lead the vfl side. Very questionable appointment.
Have to say it does leave me with a few questions given he was Carltons midfield coach and they only ran one way. Lets hope he was just following instructions.

On the plus side it looks like the VFL is going to get a bit more attention going forward.

Have to say it does leave me with a few questions given he was Carltons midfield coach and they only ran one way. Lets hope he was just following instructions.

On the plus side it looks like the VFL is going to get a bit more attention going forward.
Well they were either following his instructions or not listening to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back