Training VFL Practice Match: Sat 29/3, 11am v Richmond True Value Solar Centre (2 point loss)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review:

7. Leroy Jetta - Clearly best on ground today. Kicked five goals. His pressure was good, his tackling was good, his disposal was excellent and set up a number of scoring opportunities. If only he could apply himself like he does in the VFL, when he gets the chance at AFL. Was fantastic today and would certainly be in line for a call-up next week.

8. Jason Winderlich - Class above. Took his time to get going, don't think he touched it in the first quarter, but was prolific afterwards. There was a mention today that they may give him one more game in the VFL, however pulled up very well and kicked three goals and set up a number of others.

10. Nick O'Brien - Liked his game today. Played through the midfield and bigger body and played the role quite well. Played on Daniel Jackson at times and did quite well on him. Kicked the opening goal of the match and covered the ground quite well. Definitely improved over the pre-season and in the practice matches from what I've seen.

14. Jason Ashby - For a second year player, I have feeling this guy is going to be something similar to what Gleeson is becoming. His run off half back and onto a wing today was fantastic. A true leader as well. Very vocal, even too senior players. Makes a few errors but does he best to rectify them at the next opportunity.

15. Courtenay Dempsey - Much like Winderlich, was quiet early but worked his way into the game. Finished with two goals at the end of the match, before walking off the ground and straight into the gym to get medical attention. Emerged with ice applied to his left hamstring, however Skippy said that he has pulled up OK, but is no certainty to take on Carlton next week and may spend another week in the VFL to build match fitness.

16. Tayte Pears - Was fantastic. Kept Aaron Edwards to one goal for a half before Edwards went off injured and didn't return. Was moved onto McBean who did kick four for the match, but just the two after Pears was moved onto him.

17. Jake Melksham - Ready to go. He'll come in next week and have an impact. Found the ball at will today and was probably second best behind Jetta. Disposal has improved a great deal and will most certainly come into the side next week.

19. Shaun Edwards - Today was the first day that I've seen Shaun play and I don't know if it is just me but doesn't quite look like he is ready for senior football. Didn't get a hell of a ball and when he did, didn't do much with it. Did have an injury interrupted pre-season but was a little disappointed with him today.

25. Ariel Steinberg - Played in defence and was opposed to Todd Elton. Put in some fantastic spoils and came in as third man time and time again to help out team-mates. Took a fantastic hanger out on the far wing. Didn't get much of the ball, but did his job.

28. Elliott Kavanagh - Concerned. That's the only word I can find to describe his game today. Couldn't find the football, had little impact and hardly noticed him to be honest. Not much to write about Kav unfortunately.

29. Cory Dell'Olio - Lively as always but didn't impact the scoreboard today, however was pushing more up the ground, onto a wing and even into defence at times. Did set up a few opportunities at goal and his pressure was fantastic.

32. Travis Colyer - Liked his game today. And used the ball well when going at full tilt, which as we all know has been his major problem. Kicked a nice set shot from 50 on a 45 degree angle. Broke the lines on a number of occasions and linked up well. On the brink of senior selection after being named twice as an emergency. Certainly did himself some favours today.

33. Dylan Van Unen - Again, hardly noticed him, which is probably a good thing because he did his job. Read the play well and was competitive against Bathie.

37. Sean Gregory - Didn't get a hell of a lot of game time. Did a few nice things, however too many times today he brought the ball to ground instead of fisting it towards the boundary, which ended up in goals. But today I saw some good signs in his development. Definitely going to take time.

43. Kurt Aylett - Was good. Didn't get much of the ball, but when he did, he used it nicely and set up a Jetta goal to put us within touching distance of the lead in the last. Was a good passage of play where he had the ball and showed a good burst of speed from the contest to hit a team-mate up the ground.

44. Fraser Thurlow - Definitely capable to fill the void if Ryder doesn't come up for Carlton. Ruck work was terrific today against Stephenson and he covered the ground well. Took a few clunking marks as well, so also gives us that forward option next week if he does happen to be selected.

(Fantasia and Rayner did not play)

So just a precautionary with Demps?

Good to hear, be nice to have him next week but any risk needs to be assessed.

And Leeeeeeroy kicking 5? Give him a few more weeks in the VFL and if form continues then hopefully a sign he's pulled the finger out and wants a football career to continue

This is my second year working for the club :). I'll be writing all of them this year and also doing the stuff on Facebook and Twitter :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back