• Merge with another Vic club

Votes: 24 17.3%
  • Relocate interstate

Votes: 68 48.9%
  • Drop down to the VFL

Votes: 47 33.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No, you (and Ade,WC the ade media and the perth media) seem to have a comprehension problem.

This competition is a club premiership competition, it is not state rep footy. Never has been never will be.

Now all those who wish it to be can pretend as much as they like but it will not change what this competition is. A club premiership competition.

You seem quite dim.

Seeing how Geelong is already in the VFL, wouldn't you support them if they were no longer in the AFL?

I know if it were Collingwood who are also in the VFL I'd be supporting them, I imagine if there was no Collingwood in the AFL the VFL variant would have a huge following.

If Geelong didn't exist in the AFL, it would have a big impact on the VFL side. But no, I wouldn't follow the VFL side.

If the same club goes to the VFL or VAFA would you support it?

THE 138 year old Fitzroy Football Club still plays in the Fitzroy jumper, at its original home ground, and represents the suburb of Fitzroy as it was created to do back in 1883. The only football club to play in the VFA, VFL, AFL and VAFA. Why wouldn't a Fitzroy supporter support the club now?

I wouldn't - but I am not a Fitzroy supporter and I can't speak for them.

Not top level competition so I wouldn't be interested. Each to their own though.

Why does that matter? If a big club like Geelong were to end up in the VFL only then that would absolutely bolster the profile and standard of the VFL.

Imagine if 8 vic clubs were to exit the AFL and still have their teams exist in the VFL, that would just about make the VFL the highest profile comp - at least level one would think.

Why does that matter? If a big club like Geelong were to end up in the VFL only then that would absolutely bolster the profile and standard of the VFL.

Imagine if 8 vic clubs were to exit the AFL and still have their teams exist in the VFL, that would just about make the VFL the highest profile comp - at least level one would think.

A 12 team revamped VFA would also be an interesting concept
- Port Melbourne, Williamstown, Coburg, Preston, Fitzroy, University Blacks, Footscray, St Kilda, North Melbourne, Box Hill, Sandringham and Frankston

A 12 team revamped VFA would also be an interesting concept
- Port Melbourne, Williamstown, Coburg, Preston, Fitzroy, University Blacks, Footscray, St Kilda, North Melbourne, Box Hill, Sandringham and Frankston

Agreed! IF that come to pass AND all the 8 clubs who have 2nds in the VFL ended up out of the AFL. That would make for an interesting footy landscape across the country.

I'd imagine the remaining 8 non vic clubs could survive in whatever that AFL would be.

Be nice if the Dandy redlegs returned to!

Of course this would never happen but it would be very very interesting.

You seem to have a problem with comprehension. It's not what it should be, it's what it is. The Crows were set up as a quasi state team. Well everyone in the state except Port. They took the State colours, called themselves the Crows, they are the "Pride of South Australia", their whole ethos is built on kick a Vic and were seen as an extention of the State of Origin team and were treated as such, particularly before Port came in, and it has continued to this day, the media in Adelaide still runs with this narrative.
West Coast's initial set up was less overt, but essentially the same thing happened, especially given their early success.

I think the club songs can say a lot about the identity of clubs.

I also think the age of supporters means they have different life experiences.

I lived in Melbourne in the early 90’s and went to many Eagles games including the 1991 finals series. The abuse I copped wearing an Eagles jumper was significant. So my perception is influenced by that.

The result has been I am a proud Western Australian and Eagles fan who also has a huge amount of affection for the Crows.

The Crows say-
“We’re the pride of South Australia, we’re the mighty Adelaide Crows...”

But I think it’s nothing compared to these very parochial lyrics from the original Eagles song. Most of the words reflect how I felt after a tough day of abuse at an Eagles away game.

Most teams were bearable and some were actually quite polite (Hawthorn). The GF was OK. The Preliminary Final against Geelong was the worst.

I actually think the third verse was written for people like Robert Walls.

The lyrics really sum up what being an original Eagles fan means to many. Having the privilege of going to the Eagles first game is something I will treasure forever. It was one of the top few days in my life.

“For years they took the best of us

And claimed them for their own
But now we've got them back again
Our Eagles have come home

(Chorus)
We're the Eagles
The West Coast Eagles
And we're here to show you why
We're the big birds, kings of the big game
We're the Eagles, we're flying high!

For years we learned the lessons
And we learned them very well
And now we've added West Coast magic
And we'll give you merry hell

Chorus

So watchout all you know-alls
All you wisemen from the east
Cause you'll get more than just a footy game
You'll get a West Coast Eagles feast!

Chorus

We're the big birds, kings of the big game
We're the Eagles, we're flying high!
We're the Eagles, we're flying high!”

Sounds pretty parochial to me.

Agreed! IF that come to pass AND all the 8 clubs who have 2nds in the VFL ended up out of the AFL. That would make for an interesting footy landscape across the country.

I'd imagine the remaining 8 non vic clubs could survive in whatever that AFL would be.

Be nice if the Dandy redlegs returned to!

Of course this would never happen but it would be very very interesting.

It’s sad you guys have lost so much of your local footy. I still have Subiaco and the WAFL as we have discussed before.

One of the most exciting things about the WAFL was going to watch people you knew playing. Getting a knowing smile or look!

Now I get to follow my mates kids playing under age/colts for Subi or East Freo.

I think we’ve ended up with an AFL that disenfranchises so many grassroots supporters.

I also think the 8 Interstate clubs are nothing without the Victorians.

It’s Collingwood v Eagles or Richmond v Eagles I want. Adelaide are the only other interstate club where I am excited.

It’s sad you guys have lost so much of your local footy. I still have Subiaco and the WAFL as we have discussed before.

One of the most exciting things about the WAFL was going to watch people you knew playing. Getting a knowing smile or look!

Now I get to follow my mates kids playing under age/colts for Subi or East Freo.

I think we’ve ended up with an AFL that disenfranchises so many grassroots supporters.

I also think the 8 Interstate clubs are nothing without the Victorians.

It’s Collingwood v Eagles or Richmond v Eagles I want. Adelaide are the only other interstate club where I am excited.

Vic still has 10 of the original clubs from the VFL expansion (apart from University).

I have a bit more confidence that the 8 non vic clubs in a separate league would still garner enough public interest to be marketable, very marketable. Chuck in another club or two like a South Freo or Norwood and you've got yourself a league with a huge following - even without. Certainly clubs like gws and gc would have to ride the coattails of wc and ade for example but they do now anyway.

I agree about to a point about grass roots fans, still grass leagues like the mpnlf (mornington peninsula) still have good gate takings and followings, many other examples around the country too.

Remember there are a lot of fans, if you read the room, that would like nothing more than to be a separate league from the vics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back