News & Events Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton 'embarrassed' after caught speeding

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton has been caught speeding on the Peninsula Link freeway in Melbourne's south-east.

Mr Ashton was caught by a speed camera at Moorooduc on December 13 going 108 kilometres per hour in a 100kph zone.

He will be docked one demerit point and fined $190.

In a statement, Mr Ashton said he was "embarrassed" to have gone over the speed limit.

"As Chief Commissioner of Police I am deeply committed to road safety and am embarrassed and disappointed to find I have gone above the speed limit," he said.

"This was as a result of a lapse in concentration, which does not excuse my actions, but does highlight the need for constant attention behind the wheel."

He said he should known better having spent time with the victims of road accidents caused by excessive speeds.

"As Chief Commissioner I know the dangers of straying even a little over the speed limit," he said.

"Speeding contributes to approximately 30 per cent of all road traumas in Victoria and those extra few kilometres over matter.

"I regret my actions and believe I should be held to a higher level of accountability than the general community."

Commissioner Ashton said he would make a donation to Road Trauma Support Services in addition to paying his fine.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-08/victoria-police-chief-graham-ashton-caught-speeding/7077048

Should have done the Russ Hinze if pulled over.
The following item is illustrative. It comes from Barry Cohen’s book “Whitlam to Winston”:
So many stories circulated about Russ that many believed that the more bizarre were in fact apocryphal.
One story that gained circulation was of his being pulled over by a traffic cop on the outskirts of Brisbane. The policeman informed him that he had been exceeding the speed limit and was about to be booked.
Russ. It was alleged, looked at the traffic policeman quizzically, leaned over, opened the glove box and withdrew a road map of Queensland. Then he slowly extricated himself from the car, opened the map and spread it across the bonnet.
“Now,” he was reported to have said, pointing at the map, “which particular outback country town would you like to be posted to?”
It was discovered that the story was true when Russ was asked on a television current affairs program whether he had been guilty of such outrageous behaviour. He looked amazed that anyone would see anything wrong with what he had done.
“Well,” he replied, “you’d think he’d have enough bloody brains to know his own Minister, wouldn’ya?”

Was he placed in a Divvy van ? :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back