Victorian Country Boys - Biggest Mummy's Boys in Australia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Conception

Debutant
Jun 10, 2023
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For the longest time Victorian players have had the reputation for being the biggest go-home mummy's boys, but perhaps it's a little more specific. Looking at Geelong's list, 90% of their players are from the countryside. In the cases of Jeremy Cameron, Patrick Dangerfield, Tanner Bruhn, Oliver Henry; it wasn't enough just to leave their original clubs, it had to be Geelong or bust. Collingwood in particular have one of the best records of player retention, but not even they could prevent Oliver Henry from demanding to go back to mummy and big brother.

At this point, it's pretty obvious players from the Victorian Countryside struggle badly to adapt away from their comfort zone.

lmblpb8.png

For the longest time Victorian players have had the reputation for being the biggest go-home mummy's boys, but perhaps it's a little more specific.

Interesting claim but its this that amazes me:
'At this point, it's pretty obvious players from the Victorian Countryside struggle badly to adapt away from their comfort zone.'

I'd suggest kids that come through boarding schools have less chance of being 'mummy's boys' than kids still living at home & it applies Australia wide.

The go home factor is much more confused than you are suggesting.

It’s because they are given cheap farm property and somehow always manage to get an amazing price for their cattle. Good to be in the Geelong Footy Club farmers guild
What are you on about? Grand Final tickets for some cows is a fair trade.

Jeremy Cameron's premiership campaign almost got off to a horror start the night before the game, thanks to one of his mates.

Down at another one of Billy Brownless's haunts for Mad Monday, the Wharf Shed, Cameron told Billy he'd organised a swap with his mate.

Two grand final tickets for "four or five cows".

"It was a bit of a swap, yeah," he explained on Triple M's Rush Hour with JB & Billy.

"He was meant to get to my house at 7pm...on grand final eve.

"He calls me at 9 o'clock (and says) 'I've missed the turn, 10 minutes from your house, I'm bogged on the side on the road because I tried to do a u-turn with the trailer on...'"

For the longest time Victorian players have had the reputation for being the biggest go-home mummy's boys, but perhaps it's a little more specific. Looking at Geelong's list, 90% of their players are from the countryside.

At this point, it's pretty obvious players from the Victorian Countryside struggle badly to adapt away from their comfort zone.

If you want to actually argue this - not just sook about Geelong - perhaps you should look at how many players come from Vic Country and where they are playing? Also your mention of Cameron and Dangerfield is ridiculous, both players contributed over many years to their original clubs and left when they became restricted free agents. Bruhn Geelong targeted from draft day. You are really talking about Ollie Henry with a big wash of bullshit to go with it.

Geelong target local players because they are local. They develop, draft local players and support community football in the region - which is a reason why it produces so many players.

Do you think the interstate clubs don't target players who come from their home state?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The list in the OP is wrong for a few players (Clohesy isn't from Ireland and was through the falcons, Blitz wasn't a Geelong VFL player) but I have it as 15 listed players from the Geelong Falcons incl. Stewart who was a falcon before Geelong VFL. In a professional competition with a draft it is unprecented. Yes a handful have come from the "go home" factor but there has also been a strong focus on drafting local, especially with later picks.

I think Geelong actively target local players as they think it's good for their culture, so it's no surprise their list reflects that.

As for the players taking up the offers, they do it for the same reason any player does - money and the prospect of success.

If Geelong were s**t and offered inferior $ then they wouldn't get the players home.

I find Freo has an easier time retaining vic country kids compared to vic metro. But that could be recency bias.

Mummy's boys or wise investors? Geelong has every bloke down at that joint loaded up with enough half-priced acreage to last a lifetime. Bigger cheats than we were with the Brown Paper bags, just hasn't been an investigation into it.

I've been to Geelong a hundred times and can safely say its an absolute hole. Would prefer to be set up in the heart of Glen Waverly getting food poisoning every 2nd day than spend more than a week down there. Only reason half the players are there is property deals and free Fords.

For the same reasons WCE have a far higher retention rate than Freo. Hungry Jacks does a lot of heavy lifting for that joint

Well known that Vic metro are the biggest flight risk. Interstate clubs prefer to draft Vic country recruits over Vic metro where possible.

A Vic metro first rounder is the biggest risk in drafting for an interstate side.

Zac Butters (best player in the AFL this season) was from the outskirts of Melbourne Metro region (Bacchus Marsh) and seems like he is very happy at Port Adelaide.

I think we saw more Vic Metro (and country) players go home in the last few years due to the unique circumstances of the coronavirus and lockdowns, but I think we will see more Vic players sticking fat going forwards to their interstate drafted club (ie Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson at the Suns)

Mummy's boys or wise investors? Geelong has every bloke down at that joint loaded up with enough half-priced acreage to last a lifetime. Bigger cheats than we were with the Brown Paper bags, just hasn't been an investigation into it.

I've been to Geelong a hundred times and can safely say its an absolute hole. Would prefer to be set up in the heart of Glen Waverly getting food poisoning every 2nd day than spend more than a week down there. Only reason half the players are there is property deals and free Fords.

For the same reasons WCE have a far higher retention rate than Freo. Hungry Jacks does a lot of heavy lifting for that joint
Animated GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back