Victorian Country Boys - Biggest Mummy's Boys in Australia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mummy's boys or wise investors? Geelong has every bloke down at that joint loaded up with enough half-priced acreage to last a lifetime. Bigger cheats than we were with the Brown Paper bags, just hasn't been an investigation into it.

I've been to Geelong a hundred times and can safely say its an absolute hole. Would prefer to be set up in the heart of Glen Waverly getting food poisoning every 2nd day than spend more than a week down there. Only reason half the players are there is property deals and free Fords.

For the same reasons WCE have a far higher retention rate than Freo. Hungry Jacks does a lot of heavy lifting for that joint
You do know the majority of the list don't live in Geelong right? They're all down the surf coast, mainly in Torquay.

On the bolded, it's a lifestyle thing. A lot of the country boys don't want to live in the city and hang out with fake influencer chicks, they prefer the fishing, surfing, camping life...or at the very least a life outside of the hustle and bustle.

FWIW, I grew up in metro Melbourne, and have family in Geelong...I probably wouldn't want to live there either, I just prefer the urban city lifestyle....but we're all different people. Most of the Geelong players don't, and family and where you grew up plays a huge part in that.

On the sponsorship stuff, there's no doubt that occurs, but it would be completely naive to think it's not happening at every club. The company Visy ring a bell? It happens all the time.

Weird thread. Pretty sure non-Vic clubs target Vic Country players as they are less of a flight risk. Brisbane quite deliberately did this after the go home five saga.

As for Geelong, they have done wonderfully well with recruiting locally throughout the Western district and attracting players back to the club from that region. I don’t doubt that lifestyle is a factor but it also helps that they’ve barely missed finals for the past two decades.

It’s more the property developments in Greater Geelong that have brought considerable wealth to a lot of people from Geelong Football club, especially when a past President was there, lots of rumours but none ever substantiated.

I think having to drive through Corio and Norlane does Geelong no favours, but the Bellarine and Surf coast is very attractive for a number of reasons including the surf, outdoor sports, property prices, less traffic congestion etc.

Geelong FC has come along way from the council offering free memberships if you bought a property there.

Got any names of the pubs? Wanna check domain and the sale transaction history....

No idea. Ling got teased during a pre game on channel 7 and the joking was about how many pubs around Geelong sell for a dollar.

Danger and Tex had a pub in Adelaide. Id bet all my money they paid very little for it because the seller just happened to be a rich supporter of the Crows.

Im sure all clubs do similar, but for Geelong it is land packages and pubs.

Zac Butters (best player in the AFL this season) was from the outskirts of Melbourne Metro region (Bacchus Marsh) and seems like he is very happy at Port Adelaide.
For now sure, at some stage the bigger Vic clubs will come knocking and will offer stuff that Port (and others) simply can't match.

No idea. Ling got teased during a pre game on channel 7 and the joking was about how many pubs around Geelong sell for a dollar.

Danger and Tex had a pub in Adelaide. Id bet all my money they paid very little for it because the seller just happened to be a rich supporter of the Crows.

Im sure all clubs do similar, but for Geelong it is land packages and pubs.

Suddenly backtracking. Funny about that.

So you have no evidence at all. Funny about that.

And they always manage to find pubs along the coastline for sale for $1. Private listings too.

Who knows how they manage to find such steals.
Owning a pub is a great way to lose money these days.

What's a good way to make $100,000 - buy a pub for $1,000,000.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the longest time Victorian players have had the reputation for being the biggest go-home mummy's boys, but perhaps it's a little more specific. Looking at Geelong's list, 90% of their players are from the countryside. In the cases of Jeremy Cameron, Patrick Dangerfield, Tanner Bruhn, Oliver Henry; it wasn't enough just to leave their original clubs, it had to be Geelong or bust. Collingwood in particular have one of the best records of player retention, but not even they could prevent Oliver Henry from demanding to go back to mummy and big brother.

At this point, it's pretty obvious players from the Victorian Countryside struggle badly to adapt away from their comfort zone.

lmblpb8.png
There are a significant amount of players on that list that have only ever played for Geelong; how can they be judged as struggling to adapt out of their comfort zone when they are still at the club they were drafted to? Surely you’re looking at players who were drafted out of the Geelong region whom have come back to Geelong?

Zac Butters (best player in the AFL this season) was from the outskirts of Melbourne Metro region (Bacchus Marsh) and seems like he is very happy at Port Adelaide.

I think we saw more Vic Metro (and country) players go home in the last few years due to the unique circumstances of the coronavirus and lockdowns, but I think we will see more Vic players sticking fat going forwards to their interstate drafted club (ie Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson at the Suns)
Bacchus Marsh is country.

It’s more the property developments in Greater Geelong that have brought considerable wealth to a lot of people from Geelong Football club, especially when a past President was there, lots of rumours but none ever substantiated.

I think having to drive through Corio and Norlane does Geelong no favours, but the Bellarine and Surf coast is very attractive for a number of reasons including the surf, outdoor sports, property prices, less traffic congestion etc.

Geelong FC has come along way from the council offering free memberships if you bought a property there.

Unless you live in Corio or Norlane there's really no reason to drive through them, that's why there's a ring road.

Driving to the Surf Coast via the ring road cut out 27 sets of traffic lights from the drive.

You need to get out more and educate yourself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back