Victorian Country Boys - Biggest Mummy's Boys in Australia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Strange OP,

Plenty of interstate clubs prefer Vic Country kids due to them having often left mums nest to go to boarding school etc and already being used to living away from "home". They equally try avoid Vic Metro due to a re-occuring "homesick" factor that keeps popping up with them, often its their first time away from Mum and they can't handle it.

Doesn't always work out, but even if more Vic Country kids were moving clubs, probably reflects that more of them get drafted interstate to begin with.

player movement due to home/family reasons isn't new

i think of Stenglein leaving the crows, thompson the Dees, Wanga to Port (tho the truckload of money probably helped), headland to Freo, etc, etc.

The power player movement has enabled, plus the family home unit's role in player development in early days will see a lot more of either draftees slipping or asking for trades a year or two in.

Clubs will either need to back their system for retention, or run that risk.
i don't think it's particularly Vic Country/Metro kids though.

I think to the original "Mummys boys" who all left the lions, it was a spread.
Longer, Karnezis, Doch - Vic
Yeo - WA
Polec - SA

For every Bruhn, there's a Rankine, Jackson, JHF
For all the noise around Bergman, there's noise around Redman, etc, etc.

Guess you have remember that in any other job in life, you can quit and move when you like.

Tyson Stenglein post footy is living in Melbourne & a member of the start up community, totally unrelated to footy. There is a life after footy.

If a clubs culture is strong, young players will stay. Not easy for an 18 year old kid to leave a childhood comfort zone, but if they feel comfy at a new club they will stay...especially if they find common ground with team mates

Mummy's boys or wise investors? Geelong has every bloke down at that joint loaded up with enough half-priced acreage to last a lifetime. Bigger cheats than we were with the Brown Paper bags, just hasn't been an investigation into it.

I've been to Geelong a hundred times and can safely say its an absolute hole. Would prefer to be set up in the heart of Glen Waverly getting food poisoning every 2nd day than spend more than a week down there. Only reason half the players are there is property deals and free Fords.

For the same reasons WCE have a far higher retention rate than Freo. Hungry Jacks does a lot of heavy lifting for that joint
So you have been to Geelong hundreds of times, therefore know the club is cheating. Tell me more about your theories?

dons have their 2nd year in a row down there

id be staggered if post development Geelong aren't playing all their home games there barring a marquee event here and there (Easter monday for example)
If Geelong get all their home games there then we will never host Collingwood again and only Richmond, Essendon and Carlton when they are s**t.

For the longest time Victorian players have had the reputation for being the biggest go-home mummy's boys, but perhaps it's a little more specific. Looking at Geelong's list, 90% of their players are from the countryside. In the cases of Jeremy Cameron, Patrick Dangerfield, Tanner Bruhn, Oliver Henry; it wasn't enough just to leave their original clubs, it had to be Geelong or bust. Collingwood in particular have one of the best records of player retention, but not even they could prevent Oliver Henry from demanding to go back to mummy and big brother.

At this point, it's pretty obvious players from the Victorian Countryside struggle badly to adapt away from their comfort zone.

lmblpb8.png

Maybe they are just smart.

Geelong a good club. Successful.

And super cheap cost of living. Great lifestyle and and pubs only costing $1.

Understand building costs down Geelong way also cheap........for Geelong players.

Maybe they are just smart.

Geelong a good club. Successful.

And super cheap cost of living. Great lifestyle and and pubs only costing $1.

Understand building costs down Geelong way also cheap........for Geelong players.
PFFFFFFBFBHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Considering the Bulldogs have to play Geelong at GMHBA every year, while other teams don’t at all, and you train and play in that ground and rarely lose, the losses have mounted up. Hopefully with your latest development the AFL can start to schedule Carlton, Essendon and even Richmond to play you down there more regularly, and you won’t get to play West Coast and North Melbourne twice, when you were a top four side, such as last year, giving you a very generous leg up.
Ah yes, THAT is the reason we won 16 in a row and flogged the opposition in the prelim and GF.

It all makes sense now.

Ah yes, THAT is the reason we won 16 in a row and flogged the opposition in the prelim and GF.

It all makes sense now.
Ah yes, the arrogant Cat supporters

It all makes sense now.
Yeah, strange how you can’t back it up this year. Only one team won it outside top four and it wasnt the cats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah yes, the arrogant Cat supporters

Yeah, strange how you can’t back it up this year. Only one team won it outside top four and it wasnt the cats.
No offence but I doubt Geelong is too concerned with emulating the Footscray model. Joel Selwood alone literally won twice the amount of premierships in his career than the Dogs have currently amassed in their entire history.

Some observations:

- wanting to move home, or to a place that has a close resemblance to it, doesn’t make someone ‘soft’ or a ‘mummy’s boy.’ It makes them the same as 95 per cent of the world’s population. I like being within 2 hours of where I grew up and I’m looking forward to moving closer in the next few months. Oh wow I must be a sook for liking where I grew up.

- I’m sorry do Melbourne and the other capital cities not have a real estate market? See I always thought they did. But it turns out I was wrong. Oh so wrong. Geelong is the only area that has land and a real estate market. We are the only club who could conceivably offer extra incentives to players when we try and sign or retain them. Houses in Melbourne are free, such is my understanding of how it works. Hawthorn or St Kilda or Essendon could not offer players any extras when they sign their contract because all houses and apartments and land in Melbourne is free anyway. ‘Why are you offering me a cheap deal on this townhouse Mr McGuire? If I want it I’ll just put my stuff in it and have it anyway.’

- I also thought all clubs had sponsors as well. But no, I was wrong there too. Cotton On and Geelong are the only company and club who have a financial relationship, and as such Geelong are the only club who would have the potential to offer third party incentives to a potential recruit. The Eagles never got a cent out of Hungry Jacks based on what I’m learning in this thread.

It’s all very interesting and completely destroys the idea that people will just make up any old excuse as to why a club succeeds.

The irony of all this is that in a thread about the softness of a particular demographic, the softness of a lot of footy followers is on full display.

It’s blokes kicking a ball: dedicating time to inventing conspiracy theories as to why one team does it better than others because you aren’t able to cope with it - now that is soft.

Some observations:

- wanting to move home, or to a place that has a close resemblance to it, doesn’t make someone ‘soft’ or a ‘mummy’s boy.’ It makes them the same as 95 per cent of the world’s population. I like being within 2 hours of where I grew up and I’m looking forward to moving closer in the next few months. Oh wow I must be a sook for liking where I grew up.

- I’m sorry do Melbourne and the other capital cities not have a real estate market? See I always thought they did. But it turns out I was wrong. Oh so wrong. Geelong is the only area that has land and a real estate market. We are the only club who could conceivably offer extra incentives to players when we try and sign or retain them. Houses in Melbourne are free, such is my understanding of how it works. Hawthorn or St Kilda or Essendon could not offer players any extras when they sign their contract because all houses and apartments and land in Melbourne is free anyway. ‘Why are you offering me a cheap deal on this townhouse Mr McGuire? If I want it I’ll just put my stuff in it and have it anyway.’

- I also thought all clubs had sponsors as well. But no, I was wrong there too. Cotton On and Geelong are the only company and club who have a financial relationship, and as such Geelong are the only club who would have the potential to offer third party incentives to a potential recruit. The Eagles never got a cent out of Hungry Jacks based on what I’m learning in this thread.

It’s all very interesting and completely destroys the idea that people will just make up any old excuse as to why a club succeeds.

The irony of all this is that in a thread about the softness of a particular demographic, the softness of a lot of footy followers is on full display.

It’s blokes kicking a ball: dedicating time to inventing conspiracy theories as to why one team does it better than others because you aren’t able to cope with it - now that is soft.
You do realise this is the kind of post the OP is looking for?

Great melt by the way:thumbsu:

You do realise this is the kind of post the OP is looking for?

Great melt by the way:thumbsu:

Calling something a melt because it has more than 2 sentences doesn’t make it a melt. Someone making observations about an argument that, whether you think it was trolling or not, is becoming more and more common, is not a melt.

Using an emoji doesn’t make the post you’re replying to a melt. Address what was written.

Calling something a melt because it has more than 2 sentences doesn’t make it a melt. Someone making observations about an argument that, whether you think it was trolling or not, is becoming more and more common, is not a melt.

Using an emoji doesn’t make the post you’re replying to a melt. Address what was written.
Ok mate,nice melt:thumbsu:

Great. We are in buzzword mode rather than simply addressing the topic.

Well I’m a bit out of my league here.
No mate you did ok, you got to get most of the league into your post, a sponsor and even a name, some sarcasm and even got to have a go at the OP, good on you.

I think it's a melt, but by the sounds of things, I can't have an opinion.

No mate you did ok, you got to get most of the league into your post, a sponsor and even a name, some sarcasm and even got to have a go at the OP, good on you.

I think it's a melt, but by the sounds of things, I can't have an opinion.

A meltdown is someone getting emotionally taxed and blowing up about something.

Being slightly baffled by, and Pointing out, some poor logic being applied to a pretty widely held conspiracy theory is not the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back