Autopsy vs Eagles - Round 19

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd think people would learn from players like Polec, Hall, Higgins and Pittard that bringing in one quick outside player doesn't automatically make your team fast.

We could draft Ash, but that would just make us a slow team with a quick player in it. It wouldn't hurt bringing in somebody like that, but we're a slow side because our midfield is one paced and doesn't transition well. If you want us to play like a quicker side then you need to address Cunnington, Ziebell and Dumont.

It's easy to point at guys like Jetta and Ryan as an example of why West Coast are quick, but that doesn't give enough credit to guys like Yeo, Gaff, Shuey and Sheed who are constantly able to get to the next contest and have an impact on it. At the clearances both teams are spreading to the next contest once the ball comes out; for most of the year our midfield has been second place in getting to that next contest and it's the biggest thing hurting us. Until we figure this out, we're not a side that deserves to make finals.

Good post. If we added one quick player across each line, that would make a difference. But to do this you have to change the mix. Tyson is the example of how this works. When your mix isn't right, decent players get left out. We seem to struggle with that concept. Dumont is the obvious issue here, Tyson Mk 2, where he can be a solid player for sure but if you have a few like him he becomes obsolete. I think JMac might be similar, where a player with Crocker's skillset should slot straight into his position when ready because he brings the mix of players closer to the ideal setup.

You heard correctly - after Yeo had the run round the wing Healy said "Only a couple of years difference in age." 4 and a half actually...

Yeo has been in the AFL for 5 years longer. If you compare the numbers that each player is putting up in their 3rd year, Jy is out performing him.

I’m not saying that Jy will be as good Yeo, who knows. But the comparison was ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No doubt he'll repeat this crap tonight on "On The Sauce".
That was as close to a JLT performance as you could get.
A free shot at the eagles on their deck and when they kicked 6 straight goals in the 3rd quarter unlike * and Brisbane who kicked behinds, well that there is the difference. Our own luck caught up with us today.

This performance was coming though. Has been brewing for weeks and the wake up call came after half time.

Our shot to get 4 points was last week at the Gabba and once Fisher took that away from us, well this trip was always going to be tough.

The Pies felt the effects of consecutive travel against GWS after they travelled to Perth and after playing a close one first up, we did the same. Nonetheless we end up with zero.

You can bet your bottom line Geelong will play a close one tomorrow against Sydney and then get done by Freo in Perth. Guaranteed.

s**thouse fixturing by the AFL as usual.

Again, the only thing I asked for this week knowing a struggle was coming was for our leaders to stand up and again a poor performance. Cunningtons last 4 weeks have been pathetic. Goldstein is giving first use and he is nowhere to be seen.

Ziebell has been deplorable. Has dropped right off again and as captain he just can’t be that flakey barometer. Useless unless he’s going at a 100 miles per hour. Astounding to think he can get away with it.

Atley and Dumont are just going through the motions - and when that happens you to tend to get injured. Since that howler against * Shauns dropped right off and it’s sad to his year end like this.
I mean this group is so predictable and is so ingrained in the Laidleyesque/Scott mantra that as soon as we hit 10th and had a chance to play finals - we bottle the * game and have the Lions steal last week away, effectively killing off our year.

We simply cannot deal with expectation and it’s concerning.

I have no issues with our kids as they develop their craft, but we must do something about the midfield.
I am not convinced on the list at all.
Thompson needs replacing and Goldi is getting on, but it’s our lack of small forwards that alarming.

(WC) Rioli, Ryan, Cripps, Cameron
(RCHM) Rioli, Castagna, Butler, Baker, Higgins, Lambert
(GEE) Ablett, Rohan, Dalhaus, Myers
(BL) Cameron, Rayner, Christensen, Mcarthy

It’s clear the top teams have drafted for this need and we have Zurhaar and Thomas but both aren’t blessed with geniune speed. Gordon ‘Pockets’ Narrier came and went and is one reason why Joyce’s is out of a job. We need to do better. Be better. Get better.

I know this is still Brads team but remarkably, remarkably, the season isn’t over and Rhys has 4 weeks to get something out of the year.

We start 3 games as favorites. Two at Marvel and 1 in Hobart.
We play a faltering Geelong at KP after they play in Sydney tomorrow, then back it up in 6 days time with a game in Perth before coming back to Victoria and playing us with a days less rest.

If Rhys wants the job he wins the next 4, splits the season at 11-11 and who the fu** knows what happens next.
Cunnington is being tagged, in this case by two players at a time. All midfielders go through it, once they get a bit of publicity. The trick is for his team mates to be aware of it and get in and help him out. Once we started to put pressure on them, they started to make mistakes. We just need to focus for longer, and help each other out.

Cunnington is being tagged, in this case by two players at a time. All midfielders go through it, once they get a bit of publicity. The trick is for his team mates to be aware of it and get in and help him out. Once we started to put pressure on them, they started to make mistakes. We just need to focus for longer, and help each other out.

That's true but I was more referring to his comments re Taz and AA selection.

My young fella was copping it at junior footy yesterday and will again at school on Monday. He's constantly being bagged by his class mates about North. I feel guilty for causing that.
I'm not sure why, we gave them a thumping last year. I know it wasn't in Perth. They just need to hang in there. West Coast don't bother me. We just need to straighten up in a few areas and we'll beat them.

You heard correctly - after Yeo had the run round the wing Healy said "Only a couple of years difference in age." 4 and a half actually...

Was that the one where he was talking about Simpkin learning a lesson? Can only assume the lesson in this instance was that he should have been born 20% faster because he got torched on speed from what I saw, not effort or chase. Not an overly practical lesson to be learning...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Froggy was pretty filthy with his and our performance against the Eagles

At least someone's owning up to it.

Good on him for being honest.

Didn't look like Shawry was too happy either judging by his first words at the press conference.

You'd think people would learn from players like Polec, Hall, Higgins and Pittard that bringing in one quick outside player doesn't automatically make your team fast.

We could draft Ash, but that would just make us a slow team with a quick player in it. It wouldn't hurt bringing in somebody like that, but we're a slow side because our midfield is one paced and doesn't transition well. If you want us to play like a quicker side then you need to address Cunnington, Ziebell and Dumont.

It's easy to point at guys like Jetta and Ryan as an example of why West Coast are quick, but that doesn't give enough credit to guys like Yeo, Gaff, Shuey and Sheed who are constantly able to get to the next contest and have an impact on it. At the clearances both teams are spreading to the next contest once the ball comes out; for most of the year our midfield has been second place in getting to that next contest and it's the biggest thing hurting us. Until we figure this out, we're not a side that deserves to make finals.

I'd like to see Hall reinvent himself as a hard running mid who can get inside the contest and win the ball and spread or chase hard the way those WC guys you mentioned do. I think its also why we see Polec doing a bit of that as well (tho he's not really that good at it.) LDU can move okay. Normally Jed's alot quicker too. I think he's carrying something and that in itself emphasises the slowness of the rest of the midfield.

Coaches votes

10 Josh Kennedy (WCE)
7 Elliot Yeo (WCE)
6 Jack Darling (WCE)
3 Andrew Gaff (WCE)
2 Lewis Jetta (WCE)
1 Dom Sheed (WCE)
1 Willie Rioli (WCE)
That should be on the whiteboard this week..

C
I'm not sure why, we gave them a thumping last year. I know it wasn't in Perth. They just need to hang in there. West Coast don't bother me. We just need to straighten up in a few areas and we'll beat them.
Could be worse, if you were a dorkers supporter.

I agree, just watching some of these guys, you just shake your head. A running coach would fix a lot of problems.

Apparantly Higgo did that at some point in the last few years. He has great running form now and its obviously benefitting his movement and his ability to break tackles. (Not so much his defensive work but anyway...)

Apparantly Higgo did that at some point in the last few years. He has great running form now and its obviously benefitting his movement and his ability to break tackles. (Not so much his defensive work but anyway...)
Yep I had a basketball coach at one time that also was trained in running. He always said it is usually a matter of changing the way they run which will increase speed. He also said that explosion of the mark is the most important, it can give you 3-4 steps on your opponent before he get moving. I watched Jy and LDU on the weekend and it would really help both of them, mind you the whole group would benefit.

No need to buy tickets for perf games

The Burswood Peninsula’s burgeoning sporting mecca status has been strengthened by the unveiling yesterday of a giant outdoor screen outside Optus Stadium.
The 142sqm LED screen – twice the size of that in Melbourne’s Federation Square – holds its debut broadcast on Saturday evening with a free live-stream of the Bledisloe Cup.
Future West Coast and Fremantle home games will also be broadcast on the screen, providing a free alternative for those unable to secure tickets to the games.

Carrying a $2.5 million price tag, the screen is located opposite a grass sloped in the BHP Amphitheatre with seating capacity for around 1000 people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back