Review WA 2023 - Western Australia’s junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes surprised he hadn’t played colts yet. I guess with forward line for Claremont of matthews, Curtin and van rooyen it might be hard for him to break into that forward line I heard he is a very good basketballer also so maybe he had other commitments. Not sure. I am sure it won’t be long before he plays colts.
Hale are certainly the toughest for allowing their players to play outside their program

WA under-18s squad​

Claremont: Daniel Curtin, Kai Dehavilland, Joe Matthews, Sam Van Rooyen
East Fremantle: Kobe Austin, Presley Campbell, Koen Sanchez
East Perth: Bailey Harbour, Lucas Kemp, Tyler Lindberg, Xavier Walsh
Peel Thunder: Bo Allan, Mitch Edwards, Clay Hall, Ethan Logan, Deian Roberts, Reece Torrent
Perth: Oscar Hine-Baston, Coen Livingstone, Aiden O’Driscoll, Elijah Scoble
South Fremantle: Ashton Ferriera, Jacob Whan
Subiaco: Lance Collard, Robert Hansen Jr, Luker Kentfield, Koltyn Tholstrup
Swan Districts: Riley Hardeman, Otis Harvey, Luke Kelly, Evan Smith
West Perth: Odin Jones

WA under-18s squad​

Peel Thunder: Bo Allan, Mitch Edwards, Clay Hall, Ethan Logan, Deian Roberts, Reece Torrent
Awesome mate ...thanks

We should also mention the additional below agers who are part of the squad as train ons - Will Hayes (CL), Cooper Moore (P), Austin Van Der Struyf (CL), Thomas Cathcart (SD), Malakai Champion (S).....was there one other?

Pretty good squad really.

Unlucky players I reckon are Oscar Dees (S) (very unlucky), Jett Sibosado (CL) and possibly Ed Graham (SF) as a big over age defender to give the lads a bit of strength and stability but overall excellent. Got to get Dees in there though. He is a classy player who is in brilliant form for Subi and Scotch.

Still time for the selectors to add to the squad and I think I've read that they are still on the look out.

Last edited:

Awesome mate ...thanks

We should also mention the additional below agers who are part of the squad as train ons - Will Hayes (CL), Cooper Moore (P), Austin Van Der Struyf (CL), Thomas Cathcart (SD), Malakai Champion (S).....was there one other?

Pretty good squad really.

Unlucky players I reckon are Oscar Dees (S) (very unlucky), Jett Sibosado (CL) and possibly Ed Graham as a big over age defender to give the lads a bit of strength and stability.

Still time for the selectors to add to the squad and I think I've read that they are still on the look out.
Yes, I can think of a few others as well but always the way, depends on what the selectors strategy is. It's definitely a very difficult job for WA selectors this year. 2005 in my opinion will see some special midfielders slip through when we look back in coming years as you just can't fit them all in.

Yes, I can think of a few others as well but always the way, depends on what the selectors strategy is. It's definitely a very difficult job for WA selectors this year. 2005 in my opinion will see some special midfielders slip through when we look back in coming years as you just can't fit them all in.
Still time for those guys to do a Kaleb Smith and put their name in front of the scouts by year's end.

WA under-18s squad​

Commentators would have a field day if Harbour ended up at the Dockers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zane zakoletsky I know I’m way off on the name but this guy seems to be a little underrated I’ve seen small amounts of him but he looks top 20 worthy draft type player.

Zane zakoletsky I know I’m way off on the name but this guy seems to be a little underrated I’ve seen small amounts of him but he looks top 20 worthy draft type player.
He's running around in the ruck but at 196cm which is too short for AFL. Therefore can he go fwd or back and play a key position where it's a whole different game.

Some of my notes:
Is a handy player, athletic and gets around pretty well. Wins the hitouts and follows up at stoppages.
Has a good jump at Centre bounces but gets outbodied somewhat around the ground.
Kicking is a real worry & also doesn't have great choice in targets to cover that weakness.

If he's drafted it would be as a rookie project type player IMO.

He's running around in the ruck but at 196cm which is too short for AFL. Therefore can he go fwd or back and play a key position where it's a whole different game.

Some of my notes:
Is a handy player, athletic and gets around pretty well. Wins the hitouts and follows up at stoppages.
Has a good jump at Centre bounces but gets outbodied somewhat around the ground.
Kicking is a real worry & also doesn't have great choice in targets to cover that weakness.

If he's drafted it would be as a rookie project type player IMO.
Fair enough cheers for that seems to find a bit of footy for the ruck, could he be a Bilcavs type utility?

Good to see Sanchez back for EF this weekend v WP. EF Spadanuda as mentioned, on performances alone deserves a state spot...or atleast a train on spot. But being overage and 176cm, obviously doesn't fill that criteria for AFL drafting.

Yet EF team mate Presley Campbell who is a similar height, under age and has similar stats / performances as Spadanuda, playing that same rebound HBF role, gets the nod.

Good to see Sanchez back for EF this weekend v WP. EF Spadanuda as mentioned, on performances alone deserves a state spot...or atleast a train on spot. But being overage and 176cm, obviously doesn't fill that criteria for AFL drafting.

Yet EF team mate Presley Campbell who is a similar height, under age and has similar stats / performances as Spadanuda, playing that same rebound HBF role, gets the nod.
Yeah I wonder sometimes if the AFL clubs (who have a big say in WA state 18's selection) write off over agers just as a matter of course.

When you think of Spadanuda, Cassidy and Graham this year. Michael Sellwood for Peel last year.... and he's stepped effortlessly into league ranks in 2023.

I reckon it's a good squad though. A couple of unlucky players as always but some outstanding players included.

So glad they took the punt on Kobe Austin.

I think Campbell is pretty exciting actually. He's got some tricks and at 176cm players need to have some traits that really stand out and he certainly does. Not that Spadanuda isn't a great accumulator and a very penetrating kick. It was fun to watch him after an opposition point unloading some big kicks that reached the wing/centre.

Interested to see how Clayton Wood does for the Sharks from here on also.

Last edited:
For the 2005 cohort they've had an interrupted state pathway. No 15s schoolboys or State 16s. Had a look back at the 12s schoolboys, of that team the following players have made the 18s. Austin, Sanchez, Hardeman, Torrent, Curtin and Kelly

Xavier Walsh glad he is in the squad will tear a game apart as he builds his match fitness
Mitch Williams is pretty good too

Loving WCE NGA this year lance collard and coen livingston, as a over ager can WCE still NGA Hine-Baston ?
Northern academies can, as long as he doesn’t declare for the mid season draft, you should have priority access to him end of year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back