Review WA 2023 - Western Australia’s junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Gonna get in early here.

Thank you for the coverage of WA's best 2023 names Futbolista.

Biggest name to jump for me was Zane Zakostelsky while Hardeman, more or less, stayed in round 1 contention.

The 2024 thread will be your primary thread.

Cheers.
Thank you very much for the support. Yeah the 2024 list will be interesting.

Last edited:
I watched the game for a second time just to be sure and to see how things compare from then to now.

Maybe I did mark Austin a little bit too high and to read that he has had knee issues before now is a worry. I'm not sure what others thought but here is my goalkickers/best.

WA Black 14.13 (97)
WA Gold 6.7 (43)
Goals WAB: Kentfield 4, De Masi 2, Tholstrup 2, Logan 2, Hall, C Kelly, Harbour, Collard 1
WAG:Taylor 2, Cahill, Tangney, Smith, Parasiliti 1

Best WAB: Tholstrup, De Masi, Kentfield, Crane, Hall, Logan, Gianoncelli, Harbour, Chapman
WAG: O'Driscoll, L Kelly, Hawksley, Banfield, Livingstone
Hi mate, a little bit of perspective on this one. I know it's a year later but some interesting info on Chapman.

I'm a close friend of his, been so since 2015, and we keep in regular contact, even though I'm across the country. He had a torn ACL while playing in a Colts game for Subiaco in Round 2, 2022. He was ruled out for the season and had surgery afterwards. His recovery was slow, as per any ACL reconstruction, and he returned around July, but not for Subiaco, rather for his school, Wesley College. A viral goal went its rounds online after he did the ice hockey equivalent of going end to end and scoring. The link to the video is here:

He returned to Subiaco's Colts squad from round 20, 2023, and featured in both postseason games, recording 10+ disposals each time. He hasn't however scored since Round 1, but then again he did score that viral goal for Wesley.

His father, Steve, has been appointed Colts coach for West Perth beginning next season. He has been with the organisation since 2016 (his son being with Subiaco is something I questioned, to no avail), so it will be interesting to see whether Austin will move across to WP or not. By indications he has mentioned to me he has no intention to, however it is dependent on the draft. On the small likelyhood he is drafted then there's not much question where he'll go. If he isn't, then it'll come time.

Hope this provided some interesting insight into Chapman

Hi mate, a little bit of perspective on this one. I know it's a year later but some interesting info on Chapman.

I'm a close friend of his, been so since 2015, and we keep in regular contact, even though I'm across the country. He had a torn ACL while playing in a Colts game for Subiaco in Round 2, 2022. He was ruled out for the season and had surgery afterwards. His recovery was slow, as per any ACL reconstruction, and he returned around July, but not for Subiaco, rather for his school, Wesley College. A viral goal went its rounds online after he did the ice hockey equivalent of going end to end and scoring. The link to the video is here:

He returned to Subiaco's Colts squad from round 20, 2023, and featured in both postseason games, recording 10+ disposals each time. He hasn't however scored since Round 1, but then again he did score that viral goal for Wesley.

His father, Steve, has been appointed Colts coach for West Perth beginning next season. He has been with the organisation since 2016 (his son being with Subiaco is something I questioned, to no avail), so it will be interesting to see whether Austin will move across to WP or not. By indications he has mentioned to me he has no intention to, however it is dependent on the draft. On the small likelyhood he is drafted then there's not much question where he'll go. If he isn't, then it'll come time.

Hope this provided some interesting insight into Chapman

Wow awesome info.

Don't get me wrong I can see he has skill. And we saw that in the finals.

His dad is coaching WP. Now that's a bit awkward mate. The rivalry out there with Subi and West Perth with the zone overlapping is quite intense to begin with.

Wow awesome info.

His dad is coaching WP. Now that's a bit awkward mate. The rivalry out there with Subi and West Perth with the zone overlapping is quite intense to begin with.
I joked with him as to a possible move. He deflected the question, but I will admit it'll be interesting to see whether a dinner table conversation could lead to a switch of allegiance. Then again, he has expressed some disappointment with the club, especially with the early stages of injury, but it is all speculation at this present moment.

Wow Lawson Humpries has been picked up abit of a suprise as his interest from the combine invite to know has obviously show they were keen on him. Congrats to him

Wow Lawson Humpries has been picked up abit of a suprise as his interest from the combine invite to know has obviously show they were keen on him. Congrats to him
It just goes to show that you only need one recruiter to take a liking to a player and suddenly a basic reserves WAFL player is now on an AFL list.

Equaly it just just takes one AFL recruiter to downgrade a player and the word spreads like a cancer and that player is out of the picture.

It's not as fine tuned as some make out.

It's crazy. Recency bias and combine would factor in massively. If the draft was held 6 months earlier or 6 months later it could be really different, certainly in the later rounds. Timing is everything.

What’s the knock on Sanchez (injuries), very suprised Freo picked up Delean over him and why do you think Edwards went so late. Reading on WC board they were mentioning something about his character.

What’s the knock on Sanchez (injuries), very suprised Freo picked up Delean over him and why do you think Edwards went so late. Reading on WC board they were mentioning something about his character.
I have no idea. He was highly rated by most of Big Footy.

I can only think that maybe some clubs think he is too small or perhaps they were put off by his injuries.

Surely worth a rookie spot today though.

That's it then for 2023. Remarkably WA has 17 taken in both 2022 and 2023 across the mid/main/rookie drafts.

Wade Derksen (PT) M-S
Brynn Teakle (EF) M-S
Sebit Kuek (EP) M-S
Reuben Ginbey (EP)
Jedd Busslinger (EP)
Elijah Hewett (SD)
Ed Allan (CL)
Darcy Jones (SD)
Hugh Davies (CL)
Jed Adams (PT)
Kaleb Smith (EF)
Steely Green (SF)
Hamish Free (SF) R
Josh Draper (PT) R
Tyrell Dewar (S) R
Jordyn Baker (EP) R
Conrad Williams (CL) R

Robert Hansen Jnr (S) M-S
Jaiden Hunter (P) M-S
Jack Buller (CL) M-S
Daniel Curtin (CL)
Koltyn Tholstrup (S)
Riley Hardeman (SD)
Lance Collard (S)
Mitch Edwards (PT)
Clay Hall (PT)
Joseph Fonti (CL)
Zane Zakostelsky (CL)
Aiden O'Driscoll (P)
Lawson Humphries (SD)
Reece Torrent (PT)
Coen Livingstone (P) R
Odin Jones (WP) R
Xavier Walsh (EP) R

2023 surprises
No club interested in Koen Sanchez (EF)
Lawson Humphries who is an occasional mature age league but mainly reserves player, albeit talented, from Swans - taken by Geelong.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sanchez much like Hagan last year....not big enough not fast enough.... disappointing for the lad.
Hopefully the Sharks hold onto Sanchez unlike Hagan. Koen is an instant league player I reckon......even if it's just in a forward pocket to start with.

Wow awesome info.

Some intriguing breaking news coming out in regards to the Chapman position.

It has been revealed to me by sources that West Perth have paid a transfer fee to Subiaco to bring Austin across effective this upcoming season. The price touted was around $1000. It was confirmed when Chapman was seen in West Perth's training facilites and in the locker room today.

I had suspected this for a while given Austin's dissatisfaction with the Subiaco Football Club due to their handling of his initial knee injury. His father, obviously now the Colts coach at WP, has seemingly poached him across. However, it is unknown whether he will play the first few games of the season as he has recently had a double shoulder operation.

Hope this provides some more news.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back