Local WA Womens Competition - General Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to one of the state league games on the weekend after not having been for a while, and their courage is undeniable, however they really worry me with their lack of awareness and lack of knowledge of how to protect themselves in a contest. A few of the AFLW players were playing as well, so it wasnt just recent learners. The first thing i'd be teaching them if i was coaching is how to enter a contest correctly.
I've thought that the normal rough and tumble of boys growing up is in itself a preparation for footy girls do not get. I remember lots of relatively rough primary school games that were basically confined to boys. A girl taking up footy at 15 has a lot less background of that sort of thing than a boy taking up footy at that age does. This relates to a study that confirmed there are developmental benefits to playing sport, and that the rougher and more team orientated the sport, the greater the benefit, but the benefit is greatest for girls. Probably due to girls not getting exposed to it as much outside organised sport.

All the talk about State of Origin, it will never return in the men's game, it's too much about money, too professional, clubs are too competitive and this has sunk down to the lowest levels of football when it comes to inter-league games.

AFLW is perfect for bringing back State of Origin football. Not sure that the teams would be balanced but... AFLW isn't consumed by money and professionalism yet and players and clubs would be fine with playing it. In women's football there is a big gap between the top players and bottom players, origin would be higher standard in men's but perhaps not a greater spectacle than many finals games but it origin in AFLW would be a significantly greater standard and a great spectacle. It would give spectators a glimpse of what it will become as it becomes stronger.

Not sure when to play it, perhaps mid year in the AFL or right at the end of the season. I think from a marketing perspective that mid AFL season would be a good time to play it as it's mid season for lower levels and it reminds fans that the competition still exists. Good marketing and promoting.

All the talk about State of Origin, it will never return in the men's game, it's too much about money, too professional, clubs are too competitive and this has sunk down to the lowest levels of football when it comes to inter-league games.

AFLW is perfect for bringing back State of Origin football. Not sure that the teams would be balanced but... AFLW isn't consumed by money and professionalism yet and players and clubs would be fine with playing it. In women's football there is a big gap between the top players and bottom players, origin would be higher standard in men's but perhaps not a greater spectacle than many finals games but it origin in AFLW would be a significantly greater standard and a great spectacle. It would give spectators a glimpse of what it will become as it becomes stronger.

Not sure when to play it, perhaps mid year in the AFL or right at the end of the season. I think from a marketing perspective that mid AFL season would be a good time to play it as it's mid season for lower levels and it reminds fans that the competition still exists. Good marketing and promoting.
something like that has been proposed for the break before finals, when last years exhibition game was held. Not sure if anything will happen though.

The local paper today - The West Australian - is doing its best to promote the Womens game in WA with semi-regular articles on the explosion of numbers.
We looked at The West online and could not find todays article by "Rourke Walsh."
It is headed - "Girls footy at an all time high."
Some figures quoted.
In 2016 -87 female teams.
In 2017 -157 female teams. (That is extraordinary growth)
In 2017 more than 70,000 women and girls playing.
Females now 27% of total participation. The big question is how high can that percentage get, and do not know how that relates currently to other States.
The WA footy Commission doing a statewide survey to eventually upgrade all facilities to cater for the demand, which is being driven by the AFLW Comp.
One Junior Club was struggling last year to make one team up - This year now has about 100 involved.
A major point was that huge pressure being put on Ovals and change rooms.

This logistic problem/lack of ovals is already happening in Vic.

The big question is that many public and private schools have ovals, which are only partially used ALL day Sat. & Sun. for AF -will they allow these ovals to be utilised, when vacant, for local clubs, which are Not-For-Profit, at the same cost as Councils charge? Or seek full commercial rates?

Another big battle is looming.

Very prescient observation!
I think a Women's State of Origin should be played at the Perth Stadium, WA vs Vic. -perhaps mid Jan. 2018, not before 7.30 pm Perth time (out of heat as much as possible). Probably attract 30 -40 k.
To obtain maximum publicity and media pre-game coverage, Tv ratings and crowd attendance, elite AFLW or SOO games MUST be played well outside the AFL season.

I've thought that the normal rough and tumble of boys growing up is in itself a preparation for footy girls do not get. I remember lots of relatively rough primary school games that were basically confined to boys. A girl taking up footy at 15 has a lot less background of that sort of thing than a boy taking up footy at that age does. This relates to a study that confirmed there are developmental benefits to playing sport, and that the rougher and more team orientated the sport, the greater the benefit, but the benefit is greatest for girls. Probably due to girls not getting exposed to it as much outside organised sport.
Can you provide name, author, publisher etc of this Study?

And you are right, too many females don't know how to protect themselves, turn their body away (to protect their head) from their oncoming opponent etc. These skills must be inculcated into females asap.

Can you provide name, author, publisher etc of this Study?

And you are right, too many females don't know how to protect themselves, turn their body away (to protect their head) from their oncoming opponent etc. These skills must be inculcated into females asap.
No, I read a report about the study, not the study itself, which was a study looking at wether the stated development benefits of playing sport were real. This was some years ago. It stuck in my mind because it rated the degree of benefit by the type of activity

I have looked for it, but there are so many sports studies it is a bit of a needle in a haystack.

I especially remember the bit about the benefits being greater for women as my first thought was, physical sports gives something to women that society in general doesn't. A socially acceptable opportunity to be brave, aggressive, get knocked down, etc.

Guys in the process of growing up get more of this outside sport, although not now as much as they used to.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Very prescient observation!
I think a Women's State of Origin should be played at the Perth Stadium, WA vs Vic. -perhaps mid Jan. 2018, not before 7.30 pm Perth time (out of heat as much as possible). Probably attract 30 -40 k.
To obtain maximum publicity and media pre-game coverage, Tv ratings and crowd attendance, elite AFLW or SOO games MUST be played well outside the AFL season.

Yeah you couldn't run it up against the regular AFL games. Perhaps the AFL could change how they run the mid season bye. I think there is a big gap where people kind of forget about AFLW that needs to be addressed and perhaps a good dose of it in the winter or spring time would be a good way to just remind ppl that it still exists and is a good product. Perhaps run it at the gap between the H/A season and finals?

Southwest region rep team just finished playing Peel region, running out 21.9 136 to 0.1 1

Southwest had some decent players from a comp in its 1st year.

Still not sure who the Peel players represent, as it wasn't the WAWFL team Peel thunder, and I didn't think there was a peel comp.

Southwest region rep team just finished playing Peel region, running out 21.9 136 to 0.1 1

Still not sure who the Peel players represent, as it wasn't the WAWFL team Peel thunder, and I didn't think there was a peel comp.

Discussed with some of the South's girls after who said Peel were very young, 16 - 18 year olds. So maybe drawn from youth girls.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

This weekend showed up what a farce the WAWFL is. Top three played the bottom three with a combined scoreline of 438-1. Two of the best players from the recent U23 tour play for the two of the bottom teams. How can they show what they can do? How can you judge the quality of players when you are winning by 10-20 goals most weeks? It's hurting womens football. The WAWFL had a big opportunity to do something about it and cash in on AFLW. They did nothing.

As Thunderbirds played today it was probably the players who didn't make their youth girls team. They have a cuople of junior teams below the youth girl level.

This weekend showed up what a farce the WAWFL is. Top three played the bottom three with a combined scoreline of 438-1. Two of the best players from the recent U23 tour play for the two of the bottom teams. How can they show what they can do? How can you judge the quality of players when you are winning by 10-20 goals most weeks? It's hurting womens football. The WAWFL had a big opportunity to do something about it and cash in on AFLW. They did nothing.

As Thunderbirds played today it was probably the players who didn't make their youth girls team. They have a cuople of junior teams below the youth girl level.

The problem is frankly is that the depth of quality isnt there in the womens game over here just yet. Just my thoughts
  • The Wawfl Have promoted WP and EP up, but their talent pool hasn't come up yet- Their top 6 (esp at WP) is as good as some of the AFLW players, but the other 16 player's skills haven't hit an acceptable level. The basic fundamentals havent been developed (e.g going back from the mark, executing a 15m to the correct option)
  • Coastals, Swans have all of the good players and enviable depth which is reflective of strong clubs.
  • The colts league wide coming through appear to be talented, but there is a major dearth of talent between colts and league level. The Ressies level is the typical park ammo footballers, rather than the 3rd level below the AFLW.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have no idea if this has been posted before, but came across it while on the WA Amateurs web site checking on a family members club Kingsley.
It looks like there is some interest from the Amateurs in getting involved in the Womens game per the WA footy Commission.
It will increase the base in WA.
http://www.waafl.com.au/news/12671/senior-womens-community-carnivals

Went to one of the state league games on the weekend after not having been for a while, and their courage is undeniable, however they really worry me with their lack of awareness and lack of knowledge of how to protect themselves in a contest. A few of the AFLW players were playing as well, so it wasnt just recent learners. The first thing i'd be teaching them if i was coaching is how to enter a contest correctly.

Bingo,

Thought exactly the same thing myself, i may have replied to you, as i have said the same thing to other posters that have relayed the same message.

Years ago my daughter was playing for a WAFL womens team after she got involved through a friend and not me being a footy fan, so i helped out cooking the BBQ etc on game day when they played at home etc, she only played for a couple of years and then got a job up North and stopped playing, it was the first thing i noticed and i still noticed it during the maiden AFLW season, lack of awareness of teammates and opponents and going in blindly and dangerously to a contest.

It is pretty frightening watching it unfold, it is something you learn as a junior on how to position your body side on to potential tacklers and dangers coming front on.

I am sure it will sort it self out as more players come through from junior ranks.

Know quite a few of players and coaching staff.

The bloke on the far right Dave Burton has coached the women's team from day 1, very selfless man, put 100 of hours of volunteer work in, volunteer of the year at one stage.......

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...r/news-story/b4e27c7a9abf9ced76ee9e69c2d4cbd9

Also has one of the junior footy divisions at West Perth named after him

Good on Dave, great bloke.

Know quite a few of players and coaching staff.

The bloke on the far right Dave Burton has coached the women's team from day 1, very selfless man, put 100 of hours of volunteer work in, volunteer of the year at one stage.......

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...r/news-story/b4e27c7a9abf9ced76ee9e69c2d4cbd9

Also has one of the junior footy divisions at West Perth named after him

Good on Dave, great bloke.
Totally agree - The West Perth footy club is smack in the middle of the expanding northwards coastal sprawl of Perth.
These suburbs have received most of the boom migration since 2005 and are made up in part of Soccer football/Rugby oreniantated people.
That club should receive some sort of extra financial reward for their efforts in trying to keep our game to the fore in the area.

Totally agree - The West Perth footy club is smack in the middle of the expanding northwards coastal sprawl of Perth.
These suburbs have received most of the boom migration since 2005 and are made up in part of Soccer football/Rugby oreniantated people.
That club should receive some sort of extra financial reward for their efforts in trying to keep our game to the fore in the area.

Huge area for UK, Irish migration with a fair amount of Saffas and Kiwis, it is representative of the rest of Australia - maybe, but probably not.

Having said that, some of the local juniors clubs in the far Northern Suburbs are amongst the biggest in WA and whatsmore, there are many kids of those clubs with recently migrated parents, it is pretty heartening to see.

Would you select someone for the AFLW who is 36?
Apart from Swans (who have Janz, Chout, Houghton and the U18s ruck McAuliffe) the competition in the ruck in the WAWFL is very poor. Pretty easy to stand out.

Would you select someone for the AFLW who is 36?
Apart from Swans (who have Janz, Chout, Houghton and the U18s ruck McAuliffe) the competition in the ruck in the WAWFL is very poor. Pretty easy to stand out.
In a new comp where athleticism is still sub elite, it isn't as much a handicap as it is in the men's. Plenty of country footballers playing in pretty decent country leagues play into the 40s.

She only has to last 8 games after all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back