Autopsy We pissed it in v the pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Daicos was great last night, but the difference between him and Gulden is Daicos will go the short pass when under pressure. Gulden manages to evade and find a long piercing kick.

I still think Daicos was great, easily their best and a toss between him and Heeney as best on ground for me
I know who will get 3 votes on Brownlow night, despite his team being thumped.

Daicos was great last night, but the difference between him and Gulden is Daicos will go the short pass when under pressure. Gulden manages to evade and find a long piercing kick.

I still think Daicos was great, easily their best and a toss between him and Heeney as best on ground for me
daicos was probably their best but i don't think he was in the best half dozen or so on the ground ... we dominated and he didn't do much to lift his team
but i noticed him get rid of the ball quickly and blindly a couple of times to teammates under pressure ... i'm sure we rattled him last night, i don't think he hurt us at all

Brownlow votes:

3. Heeney
2. N Daicos (unlucky to not get 3)
1. Warner
emoji41.png

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Brownlow votes:

3. Heeney
2. N Daicos (unlucky to not get 3)
1. Warner

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk
heeney and warner dominated c'wood, and kicked goals, they'll get 3-2 ... if there was any justice in the afl (ahhhh hahahahahaha) mccartin would get a vote

You might get one cheapie being average, but you don't get 4 "cheapies" unless you work hard.

Mcdonald has to improve of course, especially in the marking contests but the workrate is great

still young, learning while his body grows into his position ... it's coming ... that big mark last night was exactly what he needs, just to prove to himself he can dominate his opponent at afl level, as he did at junior level ...
but yes, indeed, he works hard ... and will get hands and knees dirty when required, too

Hayward tried to be too clever at times, which cost us a couple of goals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

didn't he also get a couple back for us? i know he got us at least one, and i'll bet his pressure contributed in other ways ...
i'm not his biggest fan but i prefer him in the team

didn't he also get a couple back for us? i know he got us at least one, and i'll bet his pressure contributed in other ways ...
Clever tap to Papley for a goal.. great tackle on crisp. Fluffed a couple but team oriented mistakes..can't knock that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Leigh Montagna said on Fox that he couldn't see Sydney making the finals yet he could see St.Kilda being a Top 4 side.
I think that Montagna might get a shock when the Swans steam roll over the top of his Saints.
Montagna is a swans-hating buffoon.

Campbell - on replay he is involved in a lot of good players either directly or indirectly, would love him to get his numbers up more as it will benefit us big time, just doesnt quite get enough touches yet.

ralso Florent is going a bit unoticed , but having a good start to the year

florent is another one who holds his nerve under pressure, he stayed calm in hectic moments several times last night, got us out of trouble
and campbell will be a star

Well two things I wanted to see from us in this game both happened.

1. It was mentioned in one of the post-game interviews that it was our strategy going into the game to pressure Collingwood's defenders up the ground and then get it in quick to "leapfrog" them out the back, which is how we managed to get so many opportunities to run into open goals.

Exactly what I'd hoped for in the preview thread.

I think it will be important for us to keep our forward structure this week. Collingwood's defence pushes really high up and set up so well between the arcs, it's a big part of their intercept --> rebound --> repeat forward entries. But it can make them prone to getting exposed if the ball gets out the back. GWS numerous times were able to get a loose forward or two inside 50 because the Pies' defenders had pushed up too high and GWS' forwards held their position and their mids got it in there quickly.

Obviously Howe will help their defence but this was also how the Pies back six operated last year and though successful it still did get exposed the same way, like in the GF a couple of times. So it's a definite weak spot for them if we can successfully exploit it.

2. This is more overall team thing for this year, but for a few years now I have banged on about wanting us to have something of a handball game going. I love our kicking as much as anyone, and when the chance to take those kicks are there, we should take them, especially with the talented kicks we've got in the team. But to get through fierce opposition pressure and defensive structures you really have no chance if you can't run and carry by hand successfully.

We looked absolutely determined to do so every chance we got last night. Just running hard, surging forward in numbers, always using that free Swan ahead of the ball by hand. It didn't always work, and it won't always work, but it is so difficult to stop and it's why I think we never let any of Collingwood's "answer-back" goals deter us from what we knew would hold us in good stead. If we can become as dangerous by hand as we are by foot then we become close to the complete team.

Nah complete w***er in my books. His attitude and philosophy towards the game stink in my opinion. He hides it behind a casual demeanour and a twinkle in his eye but when you actually listen to some of the stuff he says it's awful.
I agree.

One thing on McRae.

Both this week and last week. He's looked super flustered on the bench. Even when the pies were up.
Like he doesn't have a hold on what his side is doing.
Totally different demeanor to last year.
Maybe it's the lack of puffer jacket?

When you win like that, it is often hard to find players who were sub-par. Hayward made a couple of mistakes which get highlighted quickly but he played his role well for 95% of the other time.

I actually think that Grundy was the player who had the least impact for us which actually augers well for further improvement.

Why would I prefer that, but not every game you will get freebies and youll need to do thigns the hard way

2 weeks in a row he hasnt executed on key actions a fwd needs to do

Amartey iffy too

I'd be disappointed if the coaches weren't quietly concerned about our talls fwd regardless of the win

Its about winnign the flag and its a small worry right now. I said theres the whole season to try address this
I think the coaches will give the talls a bit of time to show what they can do and if one of them is struggling we have Reid waiting in the wings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back