Week off = Better quality finals series?

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst decision and kneejerk reaction to fremantles resting players.

Finals are poor and gifting chances to teams like Bulldogs to get players back from injury.

No way dogs win the flag in 2016 if there was no bye.
Ahh yes, that old chestnut.

I love winning a flag with an advantage afforded to EVERY ONE of the other 7 teams in the finals.

It just so happened we rushed a few blokes back earlier than they should have for our first final in Perth. With those blokes in the side for the 2 months prior to the finals we would have most certainly made the top 4 anyway and wouldn't have to put up with this lame excuse from West Coast supporters for years to come.

Finals are poor and gifting chances to teams like Bulldogs to get players back from injury.

But that's more coincidence rather than a product of the week off. A bloke who's 2 weeks away doesn't get up for the first week. You could argue the whole season would be different without the week off as every round would be played 1 week later.

Ahh yes, that old chestnut.

I love winning a flag with an advantage afforded to EVERY ONE of the other 7 teams in the finals.

It just so happened we rushed a few blokes back earlier than they should have for our first final in Perth. With those blokes in the side for the 2 months prior to the finals we would have most certainly made the top 4 anyway and wouldn't have to put up with this lame excuse from West Coast supporters for years to come.

Nice try.
Point is you didn't have them and you shouldn't have had them.

Simple. Premiership gifted

But that's more coincidence rather than a product of the week off. A bloke who's 2 weeks away doesn't get up for the first week. You could argue the whole season would be different without the week off as every round would be played 1 week later.

The players who were brought back in wouldn't have played.

Key players. Injuries have always shaped seasons for clubs.

The point of the bye for the top four who win in the first week is null and void.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol with 5 key players back.

You would have been smashed without them.

Jesus christ, can't believe you guys are still salty about that.
It's not like the Bulldogs had that advantage that the other 7 teams didn't have, literally every team had the bye

Complaining that injuries didn't play a bigger role is just ******* backwards logic, they were unlucky to have the injuries in the first place

I love this argument, it's unfair that teams can get players back from injury. So is it more fair if teams only win because the other side is missing players?

It's also ridiculous how so much gets blamed on a week off. This finals series has been ordinary, but attributing that to the bye is strange reasoning. Hate to break it to people, but there were one sided finals prior to the week off being introduced.

I love this argument, it's unfair that teams can get players back from injury. So is it more fair if teams only win because the other side is missing players?

It's also ridiculous how so much gets blamed on a week off. This finals series has been ordinary, but attributing that to the bye is strange reasoning. Hate to break it to people, but there were one sided finals prior to the week off being introduced.

Finals have been s**t ever since the bye was introduced.

Jesus christ, can't believe you guys are still salty about that.
It's not like the Bulldogs had that advantage that the other 7 teams didn't have, literally every team had the bye

Complaining that injuries didn't play a bigger role is just ******* backwards logic, they were unlucky to have the injuries in the first place

What a load of trash.

Let's I troduce a bye between prelim and grand final week.

And let's assume that Chris Judd, Ben cousins and Daniel Kerr are available and wouldn't have been if there was no bye

It's not that hard to comprehend

Wouldn't be so bad if it had been this way for the previous 100+ years.

How's that for you

You picked three games out of 18 and try to push that as a convincing case?

Lmao

You don't think there's always been good and bad finals? Tell me exactly how the bye has made this finals series ordinary? Do you think tonight would have been an amazing match if the teams hadn't have had a week off a fortnight ago?

Everyone is fresh so the pressure and chasing is all at 100%. No space for skillful players to do their thing, just a big mass of humanity throwing the ball towards their goal. Get rid of it, if you are games clear on top you have the luxury to manage your team as you see fit. It's a balancing act, you don't want to disrupt your team's rhythm by resting absolutely everyone anyway. It's a knee jerk reaction to one instance. Again.

You don't think there's always been good and bad finals? Tell me exactly how the bye has made this finals series ordinary? Do you think tonight would have been an amazing match if the teams hadn't have had a week off a fortnight ago?

Tell me how it's made them better?

The wear and tear on players is part of the game and endurance part of our competition.
Remove this and games become less desperate as we have seen.

Try and compare one day cricket to test matches. Absolute daylight in toughness and endurance in teams.

Last edited:
Tell me how it's made them better?

I've never said it's made them better, it's like it's always been, there are some great finals and some duds.

I just think blaming the quality of finals on a week off is ridiculous and forgets that there were bad finals before the dreaded bye was introduced.

For starters, could anyone claim the 2015 finals series without a bye was better then the 2016 finals series?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back