Welcome Daniel Jackson, Leadership Development Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Given Fagan has appeared to pull rank on the others I'm hopeful of change. A lot is riding on Chappy actually following through with his decision to step down mind you.
Seems to me Fagan has strengthened the footy dept immeasurably it’s hard to see how even poor administration will have an impact on that (unless funds are withheld). Before, with Burton as head, and campo as senior assistant, whatever admin did, exacerbated our existing problems. I can’t see Kelly bowing down to Roo or Chappy.

Seems to me Fagan has strengthened the footy dept immeasurably it’s hard to see how even poor administration will have an impact on that (unless funds are withheld). Before, with Burton as head, and campo as senior assistant, whatever admin did, exacerbated our existing problems. I can’t see Kelly bowing down to Roo or Chappy.
I've been around various business a while now, and long enough to know that there's many ways to * things up.

Good things have happened for sure, let's remain vigilant, positive change is not a fait accompli.

I imagine someone pointed out the obvious thing that once you structure leadership right, then culture will inevitably improve.

Good culture is an outcome, not a tactic.

You can put culture in the title, but it's a bit redundant. It also can be a bit of an empty phrase - fixing leadership and management is the tangible thing were doing, and obviously what Daniel is experienced at.

Last edited:
Like many of you I suspect, the last 12-18 months (maybe longer) has been very difficult. In fact it is the lowest I remember feeling about the club and, as I had said several times, if Burton wasn't sacked, I was going to cancel my membership.

Now, for the first time in a long time, I genuinely feel optimistic about the future. I'm hoping the penny has finally dropped at Crow land and we will see the importance of not rewarding mediocrity just because they are 'good blokes' or 'good clubmen' or 'loyal servants' or whatever other BS you come up.
It actually feels like we are seeking and appointing good people. This can only be a positive.

Whilst I expect us to finish in the bottom 6, I'm actually more optimistic about the clubs future than I would have been had we won the 2017 GF. That would have actually been a disaster for the club long term.

Now if Chapman could P!55 Off that would be great. The sooner his snivelling, lying, boys club mentality leaves the club the better.

Like many of you I suspect, the last 12-18 months (maybe longer) has been very difficult. In fact it is the lowest I remember feeling about the club and, as I had said several times, if Burton wasn't sacked, I was going to cancel my membership.

Now, for the first time in a long time, I genuinely feel optimistic about the future. I'm hoping the penny has finally dropped at Crow land and we will see the importance of not rewarding mediocrity just because they are 'good blokes' or 'good clubmen' or 'loyal servants' or whatever other BS you come up.
It actually feels like we are seeking and appointing good people. This can only be a positive.

Whilst I expect us to finish in the bottom 6, I'm actually more optimistic about the clubs future than I would have been had we won the 2017 GF. That would have actually been a disaster for the club long term.

Now if Chapman could P!55 Off that would be great. The sooner his snivelling, lying, boys club mentality leaves the club the better.
I like you agree with all of the above, the last piece to fall is Chapman I would like to see him gone ASAP before he can do anymore damage or influence any new faces👍

There is a first time for everything

Nah, I don't usually weigh into these sorts of things (I don't really know a whole lot about who the candidates etc are). My only critique of them occurs when there's something plainly suspicious, like another internal promotion.

It looks to me that we've brought a quality person into the club, who is not from the club's existing network. That seems like a good thing to me.

That's not to say that all problems are fixed etc, but we can resume discussion of that at a later time.

I expect them to not spin it, for once. It was an identified weakness at the review, without them even mentioning culture in their release how do we know if they actually plan on addressing it? Leadership and culture are 2 different things.
The board actually endorsed the following: "the creation of a new position, Head of Leadership and Culture, to deliver a new player leadership program across all areas of the football department, including AFL and AFLW"

My bold.

So the required outcome from this person is all about leadership, so aligning the title with the job seems more than sensible.

The above quote also answers the question someone asked, "why just the football department?"

cheers

Why? I was happy with Kelly so blow that up your arse, I’m also not unhappy with the appointment as I know nothing about the guy.

What I picked up on is the obvious exclusion of the word culture in the title and release and given the external review identified culture as an issue, this is an obvious exclusion hoping the masses will focus on leadership and forget the club has a culture issue.

Some supporters fall for it and lap up the spin, some of us are a bit more discerning and hope given the issues identified over the last couple of years we moved away from the spin to become more authentic.

It is only a title though. I am sure the position description hasn’t changed. Any title that includes culture in the name is lame anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is only a title though. I am sure the position description hasn’t changed. Any title that includes culture in the name is lame anyway.
Id rather not continue this, I’ve said my piece but everyone just seems to be focusing on the title, I also mentioned the release. It seems we’ve gone out of our way to mention the word culture.

Id rather not continue this, I’ve said my piece but everyone just seems to be focusing on the title, I also mentioned the release. It seems we’ve gone out of our way to mention the word culture.
No worries EC. I’d prefer though that you don’t box us supporters Who don’t share your views. Your some lap it up and others discern has a twist of superiority to it. I am sure you did not mean it that way

No worries EC. I’d prefer though that you don’t box us supporters Who don’t share your views. Your some lap it up and others discern has a twist of superiority to it. I am sure you did not mean it that way
Me box? Have a read from the beginning of the thread, I gave my opinion and then what happened?

Me box? Have a read from the beginning of the thread, I gave my opinion and then what happened?
I admit I was reading from the beginning, commented on your post, but have not gone back to finish the thread, so perhaps I should and I definitely am not up for a fight nor debate. I think I understand your position and you are fully entitled to it.

Quite pleased with this, and must say that it's nice not to feel that sense of immediate disappointment that has often accompanied club decisions. Looks like Jackson is well suited to the role, which is more than can be said about some of our previous appointments which have turned sour. Looking forward to what he can bring to the club.

Nothing to see here, seems an appropriate type of appointment

my concern is not for our cultural problems per se, but how exactly did we all this problem to manifest itself?

It’s bit much to expect Jackson to make a big impact when then people who facilitated the bad ju ju are still in place

if the problem was Pyke, Burton & Campo, what about those who endorsed, recruited, encouraged, protected or praised them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back