Strategy Welcome James Frawley to the HFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes they seem to have conveniently overlooked the fact the the Hawks bottomed out for 17 years before getting the picks that netted Franklin and Roughy............but lets just try and help send them back to that situation.
Not to get in the way of yet another "The AFL has it in for Hawthorn" spiel, but the bolded statement is simply wrong.

Sure there were 17 years between the '91 and '08 flags, but in the 17 years leading up to the 2004 draft we won three flags and made the finals 10 times (including the '01 Prelim).

Either way, the only years we could say we truly bottomed out (since the '91 flag) were '95, '97 and '04, finishing 2nd-last each time; in '98 we finished 13th (of 16). Otherwise we've either played finals, or just missed the cut. Hardly evidence you'd want to be using in the case of 'AFL versus Hawthorn'.

Not to get in the way of yet another "The AFL has it in for Hawthorn" spiel, but the bolded statement is simply wrong.

Sure there were 17 years between the '91 and '08 flags, but in the 17 years leading up to the 2004 draft we won three flags and made the finals 10 times (including the '01 Prelim).

Either way, the only years we could say we truly bottomed out (since the '91 flag) were '95, '97 and '04, finishing 2nd-last each time; in '98 we finished 13th (of 16). Otherwise we've either played finals, or just missed the cut. Hardly evidence you'd want to be using in the case of 'AFL versus Hawthorn'.

So we threw a few punches during the 17 year flag hiatus. We were deemed enough of a basket case to be given a priority pick which we used successfully. The logic of then giving us Pick 18 for Franklin and potentially pick 2 to Melbourne for Frawley is totally unbalanced whichever way you want to spin it. We are being 'equalised'.

Ironically after half a decade of lacking outside run, we're probably going to be short inside grunt from when Mitch/Sewell retires.

Lewis, Shiels, Anderson, Hallahan, Woodward...

There's a bit there but need a top flighter. Joey Kennedy would be perfect.

So we threw a few punches during the 17 year flag hiatus. We were deemed enough of a basket case to be given a priority pick which we used successfully. The logic of then giving us Pick 18 for Franklin and potentially pick 2 to Melbourne for Frawley is totally unbalanced whichever way you want to spin it. We are being 'equalised'.

Agreed it is a total joke - the sooner compensation is scrapped all together the better

Recruiting Frawley would be the worst thing this club could do, the bloke has Jonathon Hay Mark II written all over him. All you need to do is cue the Benny Hill music when you watch him play. Why do you think Melbourne are so eager to get rid of him?

I supported the club not committing to Franklin due to the extortionist terms being pursued; but to lose Franklin and then replace him with Frawley must mean the club wants to change ladder positions with Melbourne.

The only thing that makes sense with the saving by not signing Franklin is to use this war-chest is to sign an A-grade midfielder.

Frawley will not replace Lake, Gibson or Spangher as KPDs and the club has an abundance of HBFs.

Pardon the intrusion. I couldn't help but take a slight interest in this thread, given that Geelong have been heavily linked to Frawley in recent times. A point of interest I'd like to make, if I may: Not every individual is the same, but if you take Jared Rivers for example, it's interesting to note just how much he's thrived under the "Geelong system". Had it not been for a bad run of injuries last year, the rich vein of form he's currently exhibiting would have, I firmly believe, been on display a lot earlier than from mid 2014.

Frawley is a different Kettle of fish again. Rivers was always a serviceable-to-good defender, who read the play well and was a good contested mark and reliable overhead. Frawley has shown time and again that he's an elite stopper and, considering the onslaught he's had to defend against week in/week out, it only adds to his credentials, in my opinion. I don't think there's a need to worry about whether he's "selfish" or any other undesirable attribute which could justifiably be used to describe him.

If, and I mean IF Frawley chooses to leave Melbourne, and if he chooses to leave Melbourne for a more successful club, it'll more likely be for the glory, rather than for the money. And, if that's the case, I'm going to bet that when he arrives at his new home, the liberation he'll feel won't be able to be described by any adjective that I can think of. As disrespectful as it may sound to Melbourne, toxic cultures destroy poeple and potential. Whether it be Geelong, Hawthorn or whoever else, if he chooses to leave Melbourne... may the most enticing club win!

Pardon the intrusion. I couldn't help but take a slight interest in this thread, given that Geelong have been heavily linked to Frawley in recent times. A point of interest I'd like to make, if I may: Not every individual is the same, but if you take Jared Rivers for example, it's interesting to note just how much he's thrived under the "Geelong system". Had it not been for a bad run of injuries last year, the rich vein of form he's currently exhibiting would have, I firmly believe, been on display a lot earlier than from mid 2014.

Frawley is a different Kettle of fish again. Rivers was always a serviceable-to-good defender, who read the play well and was a good contested mark and reliable overhead. Frawley has shown time and again that he's an elite stopper and, considering the onslaught he's had to defend against week in/week out, it only adds to his credentials, in my opinion. I don't think there's a need to worry about whether he's "selfish" or any other undesirable attribute which could justifiably be used to describe him.

If, and I mean IF Frawley chooses to leave Melbourne, and if he chooses to leave Melbourne for a more successful club, it'll more likely be for the glory, rather than for the money. And, if that's the case, I'm going to bet that when he arrives at his new home, the liberation he'll feel won't be able to be described by any adjective that I can think of. As disrespectful as it may sound to Melbourne, toxic cultures destroy poeple and potential. Whether it be Geelong, Hawthorn or whoever else, if he chooses to leave Melbourne... may the most enticing club win!

All true but some here don't get it!

Story is you guys are into him as well, possibly Freo as well.

Could be an interesting out come, but hard to imagine him not being a handy edition to wherever he ends up.

Nah

1. Paul Roos says that all Melbourne players are damaged by the tanking 7 years ago.

2. Paul is a Master Coach.

3. Ergo Frawley will never play good football again.

QED

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recruiting Frawley would be the worst thing this club could do

I don't know if it is quite that bad but from what I have seen of him this year, he certainly isn't the Messiah.
I actually hope we are targeting someone else.

Ironically after half a decade of lacking outside run, we're probably going to be short inside grunt from when Mitch/Sewell retires.

That's ok. That's what free agency is for.

If it's our only hole in 2 years time then we can recruit / trade for it

I think history shows it was more than "a few", but anyway...

As for the compensation aspect of the AFL's version of free agency, I think it's completely unnecessary. I'm not aware of it in any other major sport that has free agency. However, it's the same rules for every team. I don't think we can claim it as a specific 'attack' on Hawthorn. Assuming the system stays in its current form, we'd be the beneficiaries of a high pick if we "bottomed out" again.

Recruiting Frawley would be the worst thing this club could do, the bloke has Jonathon Hay Mark II written all over him. All you need to do is cue the Benny Hill music when you watch him play.

Depressed and addicted to sleeping pills ?

Why do you think Melbourne are so eager to get rid of him?

They had been trying to sign him since last year...he rejected it. Now they have accepted he is leaving and have planned the defence for life without him. For 5 football clubs to be chasing his signature, including ours.......he must be pretty average. Of course your opinion over our football clubs proven track record at recruiting players from other clubs should be ignored. Throw in Geelong with that.

I supported the club not committing to Franklin due to the extortionist terms being pursued; but to lose Franklin and then replace him with Frawley must mean the club wants to change ladder positions with Melbourne.

The club not committing to Franklin...think it was the other way around bud. We had a 900K carrot dangling in front of his head, when he ignored it.....we took it away.

The only thing that makes sense with the saving by not signing Franklin is to use this war-chest is to sign an A-grade midfielder.

That's a big if. Dangerfield will cost somewhere in the vicinity of 900 and above, The club has already said it won't throw that kind of money like it did with Franklin ever again. If we have to trade for and A grade midfielder be prepared to throw away a Breust Birchall and all others of our elite.

Frawley will not replace Lake, Gibson or Spangher as KPDs and the club has an abundance of HBFs.

Lake is 32 and suffering old man injuries, Gibson is 30, making him accountable takes plenty away from our defence.
Spangher can't take big bodied KP forwards, ditto Shoey.....when Jenkins is kicking goals against you something is a miss. If Spangher has to take the best forward every week then we have real issues.

Last edited:
I think history shows it was more than "a few", but anyway...

As for the compensation aspect of the AFL's version of free agency, I think it's completely unnecessary. I'm not aware of it in any other major sport that has free agency. However, it's the same rules for every team. I don't think we can claim it as a specific 'attack' on Hawthorn. Assuming the system stays in its current form, we'd be the beneficiaries of a high pick if we "bottomed out" again.

Not sure about this.....Cats got 2 first rounders for Ablett, we got an end of first rounder for Buddy!

O.K Ablett is the best in the game, but Bud is the best forward & they are way harder to replace than mids....His contract was also way longer & worth more which also puts the lie to the special circumstances stipulation of compensation being based upon those aspects.

Finally the Clinton Young & Xavier Ellis compensations, or lack thereof also lend credence to the fact that the AFL has a vested interest in screwing us over royally....Even neutral football supporters were aghast at the compensation, or more specifically, lack thereof that we received for Franklin!

James Frawley playing in the right team will be All Australian again.

People are judging him this year being played as a forward in a team that kicks 7 goals a game FFS.

Do we really think Schoey will hold down FB? Kurt Heatherly (maybe in 3 years)

Clarko will be judging our list right now and what it's capable of in the next 3-4 years. I think Frawley fits into that period nicely.

I reckon someone will get him for 2.4 over 4 years and at 600k a year he is well and truly worth it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back