Player Watch Darcy Cameron

Remove this Banner Ad

"....Darcy has the instincts of a natural footballer. I think he will give Nathan and the coaching group real flexibility."

Big comment right there for mine - are Cox's ticket's punched? At the very least it now seems he will face stiff competition from Reid, Cameron and possibly Wilson (later on in the year) for his spot, which is welcome news.

Cameron is a ruckmen who can rest forward, Cox has turned into a forward who can help out in the ruck.

I think he’s a less-experienced Jordan Roughead type selection.

He gets sold to us as a “versatile, provide cover in a number of areas” choice, and we all say “well that makes sense, insurance for ruck AND key defence”.

Nek minnit, he plays practically every game in the same position and locks it down as his own.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cameron play a lot up forward. In some of those clips he was able to take marks while holding his position under a ball.

I thought he looks like he has the aggression required to play the game also not the worse choice that probably would have been Jenkins imo at least Cameron has time on his side.

It may not work out but it does not come at a great cost and Roughead has worked out very well.

I thought he looks like he has the aggression required to play the game also not the worse choice that probably would have been Jenkins imo at least Cameron has time on his side.

It may not work out but it does not come at a great cost and Roughead has worked out very well.

Interesting, lets hope Cameron > Jenkins in 2020 and much more so beyond that. It often works out that way too.

I am very disappointed in this board and feel the Big Footy collective may be slipping - 7 pages in and not one 'Late Bloomer' or 'Big Blokes Take Longer' cliche in the whole thread!

That said, 'Back-Up', 'Insurance' and 'Cover for....' seem to be getting a good workout

Staggering, I've watched 2 minutes of video and seen nothing that warrents his selection. Hopefully the recruiting department at CFC found a longer you - tube clip.
I think you’ll find they do a bit more than just watch clips when choosing a player.

That’s an exciting review.

Very revealing and which clearly exposes why swans let him go. They are big on “ competitiveness”, per an interview I heard with Kinnear Beetsen some time ago.

It does beg the question therefore why they recruited him in the first place - hopefully it’s just a motivation issue that a change of environment will fix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Staggering, I've watched 2 minutes of video and seen nothing that warrents his selection. Hopefully the recruiting department at CFC found a longer you - tube clip.

They would seen a lot more than a Minute Highlight Video

They would seen a lot more than a Minute Highlight Video

Yep, at a minimum they'd have watched all his NEAFL games in their entirety. Most via video, some live.

Yes your correct there.And I will.
Look all I can say is the standard of the NEAFL is not the best compared to other leagues.
Having Aspley and Redland Bay in there I just shrug.

Have to see how he goes during the Pre-Season Games before we really can start making Judgments

Colin Wisbey Report about Cameorn:

(Before I go further, Josh Fraser was clearly a *better* player; I'm now merely comparing aspects of style/type)

- Main seeling point of both is arguably athleticism / mobility (for such height), albeit Cameron had (has?) iffy tank and Josh was "naturally" slim whereas Cameron was always a stronger build. (BTW, my understanding is that Cameron has worked on his tank and conditioning in recent years)

- Better overhead than Josh

- Not as adept / prolific as "ruckrover"

- Tap work very good but, like Josh, hasn't been someone who relishes the physicality of ruck contests. (That's a significant negative for me re any ruck)

- My main concerns / issues with him were intensity / competitiveness, ethic / workrate. Those are major aspects in any big man role. Were it not for those (historical) issues, I would have deemed him a decent AFL draft prospect back then. Because of those issues though, he was never in danger of making my rankings.

My immediate thought was Cameron Wood like. Jesus I hope I am wrong. But at least we paid a hell of a lot less.

Don’t have high hopes but I don’t like judging players too quickly so look forward to see how he goes over the next 12 months.

I think you’ll find they do a bit more than just watch clips when choosing a player.
Plus how often is a camera on him during NEAFL games?
Do they record every game?
Maybe limited highlights available.
I’m sure they sent recruiters to watch him live anyway.
Just have to believe in their judgement.

My immediate thought was Cameron Wood like. Jesus I hope I am wrong. But at least we paid a hell of a lot less.

Don’t have high hopes but I don’t like judging players too quickly so look forward to see how he goes over the next 12 months.

Spot On. People who are Already Calling him a Dud need to give the Bloke sometime to get use to Playing and Being a Collingwood

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back