Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Ethan Phillips. 2024 SSP.

Remove this Banner Ad

He was ultra composed which was nice, knows his game in and out and knew when to do what he needed. I am comfortable with him under a high ball to either kill it or mark it, haven't said that much. He was super clean below his knees which surprised me and used his body really well, just had a good debut without any faults, we'll see more in the coming weeks but exciting.

I said it in the game day thread too but the chase to the ball on the back flank/wing (?) toward the boundary, he didn’t look as slow as some have suggested. Maybe more a reference to his acceleration? I think if Easy plays his role the way he did on the weekend then Sicily is going to turn it up and go record breaking.

Edit: Drinking game idea, do a shot every time he says ‘yeah, nah’!

Super rapt for him to have played a tremendous debut game. Played on Finlayson and Dixon as well at times. Game high intercepts and team high spoils. He was defensively very good and did the little things right. Hoping he gets a good crack at it over the next month to show how he can be an important puzzle piece going forward.

Super rapt for him to have played a tremendous debut game. Played on Finlayson and Dixon as well at times. Game high intercepts and team high spoils. He was defensively very good and did the little things right. Hoping he gets a good crack at it over the next month to show how he can be an important puzzle piece going forward.
Hoping they don't drop him due to match ups this week. Bris may only run with 1 tall fwd in Daniher.

I believe he needs a block of 4 games to give him a chance to show what he can do.

I’ve mentioned it a few times through the year, but last year the team (and Sicily) played their best footy when we had Frost + Blanck, allowing Sicily to free up.

Can’t see why it would be any different playing all of Frost, Phillips and Sicily

FB: Impey Phillips Scrimshaw
HB: Sicily Frost Amon

Hardwick as the swing player and allow the likes of CJ, Mass and Weddle to play further up the ground.

I agree that we need to release him if we can, and believe that Phillips is the best option to play CHB to do that.

Both Frost and Blanck are dour defenders that play deep in the backline, at FB. This isn't really Phillips' game, which is why he should be a better option to pair with Sicily and one of Frost or Blanck.

It's hard to say whether we played our best football last season with both Frost and Blanck in the team.

In fact I think the results last season show we didn't, and we played better with only one of them.

However I think Sicily had better performance when the other two were in the side.

Games with only Blanck and Sicily:
R13 vs Brisbane - great performance (W) *
R21 vs Pies - great performance (W) *
R22 vs WBD - good performance (W)
R23 vs Melb - decent performance (L)
R24 vs Freo - insipid performance (L) *

Games with Frost and Sicily:
R3 vs North - good performance (W) *
R4 vs Cats - garbage performance (L)
R5 vs GWS - good performance (L)
R6 vs Crows - good performance (L) *
R7 vs WBD - poor performance (L)
R8 vs Freo - garbage performance (L)
R9 vs Dees - garbage performance (L)

Games they all played together:
R1 vs Ess - garbage performance (L) *
R2 vs Swans - garbage performance (L)
R10 vs WCE - smashed them (W) *
R11 vs Saints - good performance (W) *
R18 vs North - good performance (W)
R19 vs Tigers - decent performance (L) *
R20 vs Saints - poor performance (L)

* denotes the games Sicily had 10< marks and over 25 touches. I know a lot more could be taken into account when looking at what could be considered a good game, but those stats are impressive.

Last edited:
I agree that we need to release him if we can, and believe that Phillips is the best option to play CHB to do that.

Both Frost and Blanck are dour defenders that play deep in the backline, at FB. This isn't really Phillips' game, which is why he should be a better option to pair with Sicily and one of Frost or Blanck.

It's hard to say whether we played our best football last season with both Frost and Blanck in the team.

In fact I think the results last season show we didn't, and we played better with only one of them.

However I think Sicily had better performance when the other two were in the side.

Games with only Blanck and Sicily:
R13 vs Brisbane - great performance (W) *
R21 vs Pies - great performance (W) *
R22 vs WBD - good performance (W)
R23 vs Melb - decent performance (L)
R24 vs Freo - insipid performance (L) *

Games with Frost and Sicily:
R3 vs North - good performance (W) *
R4 vs Cats - garbage performance (L)
R5 vs GWS - good performance (L)
R6 vs Crows - good performance (L) *
R7 vs WBD - poor performance (L)
R8 vs Freo - garbage performance (L)
R9 vs Dees - garbage performance (L)

Games they all played together:
R1 vs Ess - garbage performance (L) *
R2 vs Swans - garbage performance (L)
R10 vs WCE - smashed them (W) *
R11 vs Saints - good performance (W) *
R18 vs North - good performance (W)
R19 vs Tigers - decent performance (L) *
R20 vs Saints - poor performance (L)

* denotes the games Sicily had 10< marks and over 25 touches. I know a lot more could be taken into account when looking at what could be considered a good game, but those stats are impressive.
Pretty clear frost has to go.

I'd have agreed with you at the start of the season, but fast forward however many weeks and Frost is having a career best year.

I don't think we'd have seen this at all had Blanck been fit and playing. I suspect Frost would have been in/out of the side, and his gametime would have been matchup dependant.

Frost is a short-term option for now (2 years?), and Blanck may prove to be a long-term option in the future. But Frost is playing out of his skin and if Blanck was putting in that kinds of performances we'd be overjoyed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty clear our midfield being crap at defending opposition ball movement upfield had more to do with the team’s crap performances than the make up of our KPDs on any given day.

I'd have agreed with you at the start of the season, but fast forward however many weeks and Frost is having a career best year.

I don't think we'd have seen this at all had Blanck been fit and playing. I suspect Frost would have been in/out of the side, and his gametime would have been matchup dependant.

Frost is a short-term option for now (2 years?), and Blanck may prove to be a long-term option in the future. But Frost is playing out of his skin and if Blanck was putting in that kinds of performances we'd be overjoyed.
Frost is doing nothing different compared to every other season that he has played… bar one thing… he is now being safe with his disposal. He successfully did one risky pass into the centre, but that is it. The resurgence of Frost comes from one thing… being safe with the ball.

Frost-ball has been his thing for 8 years of his career. So what has changed? Sam Mitchell… or maybe Ethan Phillips?

I contend that Ethan Phillips’ certainty to be safe with disposal has rubbed off on Frostly.

Whether I am right or wrong matters not. What matters is that Frosty is having a career best season and we love what he is producing.

It was a joke.
I’ve always been supportive of Frost and felt the criticism was way overdone. It was mental over the preseason.

Looking ahead at list management decisions though, I think it will rest on whether the club views Blanck and Phillips as a viable partnership.

They may want to invest in that w more games together and have McCabe as the developing player who comes in and out of the team, or swinging through various roles.

Sometimes you are cut for reasons outside your control.

Nah, the criticism wasn’t overdone. Frosty was always a good defender, but a massive liability wit ball in hand and gave away a goal every game or two via turnovers and another every game or two through a I’ll-disciplined free kick.

Happy to say he’s improved tremendously. The best compliment I can give - I barely even notice him or his man out there!

It was a joke.
I’ve always been supportive of Frost and felt the criticism was way overdone. It was mental over the preseason.

Looking ahead at list management decisions though, I think it will rest on whether the club views Blanck and Phillips as a viable partnership.

They may want to invest in that w more games together and have McCabe as the developing player who comes in and out of the team, or swinging through various roles.

Sometimes you are cut for reasons outside your control.
He's triggered another year and will be staying.

Yes, prior to this season I didn't think he would be able eliminate the frostball from his play and would remain 'back up'. Those sort of clangers are soul destroying for a team. I really thought it was a case of Leopards can't change their spots. But he did and good on him. He brings lot's of good attributes to the game. I guess it's a successful example of 'a man's gotta know his limitations.'

At present I could not see Blanck and Phillips playing in the same team at AFL level.

As good a debut as it was, do we maintain both on the list when list spots are tight? Backup for backup of each other??

I assume Phillips has only been signed for this year, so would need an extension to stay on the list. I hope he gets it as I see him as being solid at the level after that performance. He has the remainder of the year to impress and reinforce that debut.

At present I could not see Blanck and Phillips playing in the same team at AFL level.

As good a debut as it was, do we maintain both on the list when list spots are tight? Backup for backup of each other??

I assume Phillips has only been signed for this year, so would need an extension to stay on the list. I hope he gets it as I see him as being solid at the level after that performance. He has the remainder of the year to impress and reinforce that debut.
Both offer completely different skill sets, plus Blanck will take a while to get on field and back to his best. Would be crazy not to sign Phillips for another year, especially after that performance on the weekend.

Frost is doing nothing different compared to every other season that he has played… bar one thing… he is now being safe with his disposal. He successfully did one risky pass into the centre, but that is it. The resurgence of Frost comes from one thing… being safe with the ball.

Frost-ball has been his thing for 8 years of his career. So what has changed? Sam Mitchell… or maybe Ethan Phillips?

I contend that Ethan Phillips’ certainty to be safe with disposal has rubbed off on Frostly.

Whether I am right or wrong matters not. What matters is that Frosty is having a career best season and we love what he is producing.

Reigning in the Frostball has helped tremendously.

But last season he was leading he reverse coleman until he missed the last few games.

I'm not sure this was because of our midfielders not performing either, which has been suggested, given we were one of the better clearance sides in the league last year and we have regressed in this area this year.

I'm not sure how much is gameplan related either way - were we exposing him last season with our set-up and are we helping him play to his strengths and mitigate his weaknesses this season?

Whatever the reason(s), he was performing at a much lower level compared to this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back