Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow - signed to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

There was one passage of play in particular that caught my eye in the 3rd quarter. After the centre bounce instead of kicking it off the ground he put his head over the ball picked it up then dished it off and we scored a goal, just thought that’s a bit of natural poise coming to the fore

12 disposals 3 clearances 21 pressure acts playing on a norm smith medalist club rate him highly

He’s been killing it in the practice games deserved his chance I’d play him again against freo

Probably comes out when meatball and shedda are back but giving a talented kid a taste of senior footy when he deserves it is always the right call
Super debut from a real skinny raw kid let’s face it.. and playing in such a heated contested matched up vs shuey and the eagles he was very impressive I thought..

reality is he will play next week, maybe a 3rd game if really lucky then either Edwards, Prestia, stack takes his spot. And he would’ve been told this unless he sets the world on fire.

but great start and experience for him and the club. Looks a real player!

There was one passage of play in particular that caught my eye in the 3rd quarter. After the centre bounce instead of kicking it off the ground he put his head over the ball picked it up then dished it off and we scored a goal, just thought that’s a bit of natural poise coming to the fore
Thought it was a good debut. The kid as you said has poise and most importantly appears to be a good decision maker. Quietly confident that he will make it. Could be very good. Well done Thomson

Will be a player good hands and would of learnt alot from cotch and death etc but going head to head with shuey is like an extra 10 games experience for him . Will help him immensely

I was really impressed, particularly in the first half. Nice quick hands.

Good to see Richmond drafting genuine mids with their early picks rather than flankers.

I feel like our future midfield of Bolton, Ross, Collier Dawkins and Dow is looking very promising early.

He had one of those games where you didn't notice there was a 1st gamer out there.

and in that type of pressured environment that is a huge tick. just did the basics well and should get another crack next week!

Lots to like here.

I was really impressed, particularly in the first half. Nice quick hands.

Good to see Richmond drafting genuine mids with their early picks rather than flankers.

I feel like our future midfield of Bolton, Ross, Collier Dawkins and Dow is looking very promising early.

I'd be hesitant to throw RCD in that list given it looks Dow has already motored past him.

But yes, some promising young players. I have said for some time I feel Ross is a genuine best 22 type that has his development hindered by throwing him around position wise and he looks to have lost some strength. Let's hope that's rectified soon.

I'd be hesitant to throw RCD in that list given it looks Dow has already motored past him.

But yes, some promising young players. I have said for some time I feel Ross is a genuine best 22 type that has his development hindered by throwing him around position wise and he looks to have lost some strength. Let's hope that's rectified soon.
Not sure if Dow has gone past him. I think if RCD wasn't injured he would have got the call up first

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good is our system a kid like Dow can jump in and play a role.

he did very well !!
Just kept it simple, didn’t try and do anything crazy showed some good signs, obviously got a good head on his shoulders.
Doubt he’ll retain his spot heading into finals but was good for him to know he’s not out of place.

Just kept it simple, didn’t try and do anything crazy showed some good signs, obviously got a good head on his shoulders.
Doubt he’ll retain his spot heading into finals but was good for him to know he’s not out of place.

Just wondering if, like his brother, he lacks a bit of penetration with his shoe? I just noticed it on one of his long kicks it only barely got about 40m.

All the same nice debut under what must be very tough circumstances. Playing your first game in such a big game with no proper lower grade matches to help prepare us about as tough as it gets for a skinny young kid.

Just wondering if, like his brother, he lacks a bit of penetration with his shoe? I just noticed it on one of his long kicks it only barely got about 40m.

All the same nice debut under what must be very tough circumstances. Playing your first game in such a big game with no proper lower grade matches to help prepare us about as tough as it gets for a skinny young kid.
yeah noticed that to - not a natural sweet timer like Bolton - didn't see a lot of his kicking so hopefully in that instance he was more placing it rather than trying to smash it long. Either way, something that is fixable especially when he gets stronger

A good first up game but surprised me a little. His step and work in traffic were ok but not the 1 wood I was expecting. However, his positioning was excellent- some good intercepts and shows a strong understanding of the game plan and a good reader of the play

The thing that stands out the most for me is that he is a 1 touch player and has lightning quick hands

Others have also pointed it out, but it was a huge tick from me

The thing that stands out the most for me is that he is a 1 touch player and has lightning quick hands

Others have also pointed it out, but it was a huge tick from me

I was just about to post this as well. I liked how he got the ball in tight and then was able to wait that extra split second and hit the player going past to their advantage. A bit Sheds like.

Maybe, maybe not. When RCD wasn't injured Dimma was still mentioning Dow more than RCD.
And he hasn't mentioned Ross at all, so where does that leave him. I don't think we should be measuring players against each other. Where are Caddy and Broad at... the luxury of being a top of the pile with a mini rebuild going on is not a bad place to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back