2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WCE don't recruit players to their AFL list to play WAFL, they are recruited to play AFL at some stage if they are good enough to. All of those players have played AFL at some stage throughout the season or have been injured at other times when not playing in the WAFL and the amount of injuries that have occurred has contributed to them not playing at all or spending time at senior AFL level.

Of course they wouldn't. I don't think the Eagles are asking for major concessions, just the ability to have one 10-12 point player and perhaps a couple of five point players to provide a decent core of players who are there every week to play alongside whoever else is selected at WAFL level for any particular game. I think any person would say it is reasonable for the club to have a few small concessions in order to be able to have a list of WAFL players who can contribute every week so that the competition can remain as even as possible and maintain its integrity.
I guess this where the invested WAFL fan and the not so invested WAFL fan will always differ in this argument....so if those few concessions WCE seek, were granted, and in an injury reduced season, WCER potentially could field a side of eighteen 5 -12 point players then ....pretty sure no WAFL side is allowed to do that, due to financial and player points constraints.....simply this season, through an abnormally high injury list, has shown the negative end of WCE having a stand alone team in the WAFL.....swings in roundabouts I guess.....worked for Peel a few years back, winning back to back flags by parachuting 17 AFL listed (10-12 pt players) on GF day ...I think a few Subi fans are still banging on about the lack of competition integrity etc from that scenario.

Last edited:
Adelaide are in a similar position to us. They’ve set up a standalone reserves side in the SANFL that doesn’t have a zone or juniors to draw from. They’re currently in second spot on the ladder, despite the senior side being in the bottom four. What have they done differently?

Interesting to hear simmo say will have 14-15 players playing in the wafl in the last 2 weeks of the season, you’d be pissed if u were one of those top 5 clubs that was expecting a easy win, could miss out on a double chance 😂

Adelaide are in a similar position to us. They’ve set up a standalone reserves side in the SANFL that doesn’t have a zone or juniors to draw from. They’re currently in second spot on the ladder, despite the senior side being in the bottom four. What have they done differently?

That's what I want to know too. Asked the question a while back and didn't get a response.

Interesting to hear simmo say will have 14-15 players playing in the wafl in the last 2 weeks of the season, you’d be pissed if u were one of those top 5 clubs that was expecting a easy win, could miss out on a double chance 😂
One of those games is v Peel, so happy WCER putting a spanner in their final plans....though Peel will have 14/15 AFL players as well....game on....think the last one is v Cl, so SF, EF and SD fans won't be complaining if WCER win that one... the Perth fans might though....

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 3.40.49 pm.png

A truly dire looking team. J. Williams, Naish and Trew the only AFL-listed players named. Good thing it's only Perth.

Hopefully we get some better numbers in the last two WAFL games.

This is going to be the most humiliating, pathetic Perth loss since whenever they last played.
scrubs-dr-kelso.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess this where the invested WAFL fan and the not so invested WAFL fan will always differ in this argument....

I'm an invested WAFL fan, have been for decades.

so if those few concessions WCE seek, were granted, and in an injury reduced season, WCER potentially could field a side of eighteen 5 -12 point players then ....pretty sure no WAFL side is allowed to do that, due to financial and player points constraints.....simply this season, through an abnormally high injury list, has shown the negative end of WCE having a stand alone team in the WAFL.....

AFL listed players are worth zero points so that's not correct although I do understand your point. The standalone Reserves' model is the only real choice that the Eagles have at the moment that gives them control over their players on a week to week basis in the WAFL. Distributing players between multiple clubs won't work as the Eagles don't have control over where they will play and no club wants an alignment so that leaves them with little option but to have their own club-run WAFL outfit.

Injuries have certainly played a part in the club's issues in the WAFL this year and I'm sure they'd acknowledge that and the fact they need to be better in the strength, fitness and injury management of their AFL listed players. That's something the club needs to work on to help reduce the issues they've had with their WAFL side next season.

As mentioned before, I don't think it is unreasonable for the Eagles to be allowed a few minor recruiting concessions, especially given they are the 10th club in the competition and are a legitimate pathway to playing AFL.

swings in roundabouts I guess.....worked for Peel a few years back, winning back to back flags by parachuting 17 AFL listed (10-12 pt players) on GF day ...I think a few Subi fans are still banging on about the lack of competition integrity etc from that scenario.

The difference with what Peel Thunder did back in 2016 and 2017 was using loopholes in the rules at the time to play a number of players in the WAFL despite such players having played the vast majority of the season at AFL level, essentially dropping a good portion of the first XXII back to Peel Thunder. The WAFL's lax rules on this at the time didn't help either.

Last edited:
I guess this where the invested WAFL fan and the not so invested WAFL fan will always differ in this argument....

Can’t believe how condescending this is.

The poster you’re replying to literally has his WAFL side as his avatar.

He’s also run the tipping comp on the WAFL board for as long as I can remember.

So I think you might be the not-so-invested fan here.

I will say, if you care about the WAFL in 2022 as anything other than a feeder comp for the real footy, you’re wasting everybody’s time. It’s a serviceable tool for the talented kids to test themselves against tradies and accountants, while they await a chance with the actual comp.

Good on you all for having a hobby but imagine being on your high horse about suburban footy in 2022.

If anyone has a response, please hang up your landline and fax it through to me.

You dont get to force everyone to listen to years of crap about Leeds, and how good the championship is and blah blah blah and then s**t talk the WAFL.
Not at all analogous, unless Perth won a bunch of games and now play in the AFL? Feel like I missed that story.

A nice try nonetheless, something to look back on fondly when teletext delivers the news that Claremont has folded.

I'm an invested WAFL fan, have been for decades.
Apologies for sounding specific to you in my comment, was intended to be a general reference merely on my observation from what I have read on the WCER thread here about the WAFL. Kudos for all your efforts in flying the WAFL flag here on big footy....they are appreciated.

Out of interest are you a pre or post Millenium Subi fan, got a lot of pre Millenium Subi fans who say life has been much kinder for them post Millenium....was a tough gig being a Subi fan pre WCE especially.....
AFL listed players are worth zero points so that's not correct although I do understand your point.
They are not worth zero points though when playing for a WAFL club and being a non local....Dixon was worth 10 - 12 pts when playing for EF in the WAFL last year, this year when playing in the WAFL for WCER, he is worth 0 pts. Thus my point WCER already get concessions for playing 10-12 pt valued players in the WAFL for 0 points....plus having access to the best footy facilities in WA footy.....let alone a $30 million dollar plus bank account.....not sure many other WA surburban footy clubs playing in an AFL feeder comp have those concessions.

Last edited:
Can’t believe how condescending this is.

The poster you’re replying to literally has his WAFL side as his avatar.

He’s also run the tipping comp on the WAFL board for as long as I can remember.

So I think you might be the not-so-invested fan here.
Kudos for going in to bat for your fellow WCE fan there and calling out my condescending ways for being a high horse riding, landline, fax loving, surburban footy feeder comp fan watching footy in 2022....

Last edited:
Kudos for going in to bat for your fellow WCE fan there and calling out my condescending ways for being a high horse riding, landline, fax loving, surburban footy feeder comp fan watching footy in 2022....

That’s not why I called you condescending.

I called you condescending for implying that if someone had a different view from you, they must not be as avid a follower of the league as you are.

i Love the WAFL still, I don’t know what real footy means anymore as I am not even sure I know what sport they are playing in this new sport called AFL.
Handed in our 25year plus Eagles memberships 3 years ago. We were not attending and going to far more West Perth games than AFL games. Refused to attend Sunday AFL games.
Each to their own of course but the WAFL is not a feeder comp in my view, maybe the colts comp is?? But for the league teams it a serious business of winning the WAFL premiership.

On another note I would love for this new sport called AFL to be returned to the great sport of of Aussie Rules football. Such a great shame they stopped playing that.

Who's going to watch the WAFL boys finish off this hellscape of a season? can't be worse than the AFL crapshoot we just witnessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back