West Coast Master Stroke: Have they run circles around Gil and the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whose home game should it be? The team flying up and back on the day to play it?

Neither. Hence an earlier post I made. The AFL could have made all games in this period neutral, they chose not to. The only teams being asked to wear games away from their home ground as home games are the SA and WA clubs. Like I (clearly) wrote, I will be fine with it if it works out in the end. My concern is that with all the uncertainty, it wont be. That remains to be seen however.

Neither. Hence an earlier post I made. The AFL could have made all games in this period neutral, they chose not to. The only teams being asked to wear games away from their home ground as home games are the SA and WA clubs. Like I (clearly) wrote, I will be fine with it if it works out in the end. My concern is that with all the uncertainty, it wont be. That remains to be seen however.
So say the WA and SA teams are in Queensland for 8 weeks and thus have not played any home games, the afl should then schedule their remaining games in SA and WA if they are permitted to play there?

So say the WA and SA teams are in Queensland for 8 weeks and thus have not played any home games, the afl should then schedule their remaining games in SA and WA if they are permitted to play there?

Are you talking about in the current set-up, or one where all the games in the first 8 weeks were neutral?

Hawks have to wear a home game away from their home ground this period and it's at their opponent's home ground which makes it even worse.
Every year Vic teams get some of their home games shafted to another team's home ground.

Commercial agreements don't allow for the allocation of a "neutral" status

Richmond has to get on a plane for the longest flight that exists in the current format, WCE doesn't travel at all, and as we've been told incessantly by WCE fans, getting on a plane (especially for a long flight) is the biggest disadvantage that there ever was!

Yes, we know, only the things you can spin as being WCEs disadvantage qualify as a complete account.

WOW my bullsh!t meter just exploded reading that.

So Richmond is taking the longest flight "currently" in the AFL format. Melbourne to Gold Coast, to play the Eagles at "home" 4,500 km away from their home ground..............oh the injustice.

Hopefully Richmond don't need to travel again this season, it will likely take 10 weeks for them to recover from the 2 hr flight. Poor little fellas. How they won a flag being so brittle is incredible.............actually it isn't after the pampering they got last season. 2019 - The Pampered Premiership.

So Richmond is taking the longest flight "currently" in the AFL format. Melbourne to Gold Coast, to play the Eagles at "home" 4,500 km away from their home ground..............oh the injustice.

Hopefully Richmond don't need to travel again this season, it will likely take 10 weeks for them to recover from the 2 hr flight. Poor little fellas. How they won a flag being so brittle is incredible.............actually it isn't after the pampering they got last season. 2019 - The Pampered Premiership.
4500km?
You could fly to Metricon via Melbourne and it's still not 4,500km.

West Coast fans are the best, their premier doesn’t allow teams to fly to WA to play so they relocate to QLD, they then get the advantage of not having to travel to Victoria to play any away games but still they whinge. It’s laughable but totally expected from the boo boys.

Enjoy your Pampered Premierships.

At least when the Eagles win one they know they earned it. No leg ups or pampering from VFL House.

Makes the wins so, so much sweeter.

You call it complaining. We just like to point out the pampered and the *** next to those pampered premierships.

Commercial agreements don't allow for the allocation of a "neutral" status

Cheers, assume that has to do with game day advertising etc? Advertisers, sponsors etc are getting less games regardless, so changes have already been made to agreements. I can't imagine it would have been that difficult to ensure that a team has their home game sponsorship arrangements for half the games, regardless of the venue. For example, Collingwood could still have their game day advertsing etc. when playing St Kilda at Geelong.

Whose home game should it be? The team flying up and back on the day to play it?

Happy to give up a home game and home ground advantage but not to the current premier.

It should have been another Melbourne club not Richmond. Let a Saint Kilda or Carlton or a Essendon or a Hawthorn or a Kangaroos or a Bulldogs get the benefit of playing an Eagles home game in QLD and avoid travelling to Perth later in the year. Give those lower clubs a leg up to be more competitive and potentially snatch a win.

Isn't the bottom teams supposed to get an easier draw than the premier?

Why should the reigning pampered premier get more pampering?

Hawks have to wear a home game away from their home ground this period and it's at their opponent's home ground which makes it even worse.
Every year Vic teams get some of their home games shafted to another team's home ground.

Did notice the game v North and couldn't work it out. I guess they don't want 2 games on the G on the same day, which would make sense, except for the fact that the AFL floated to idea of playing VFL games as warm ups to AFL games just last year.

In regard to a normal year, all works out the in wash usually for the Vic clubs no? Say you need to play a home game v North at Marvel, you also get to play Geelong at the G.

Happy to give up a home game and home ground advantage but not to the current premier.

It should have been another Melbourne club not Richmond. Let a Saint Kilda or Carlton or a Essendon or a Hawthorn or a Kangaroos or a Bulldogs get the benefit of playing an Eagles home game in QLD and avoid travelling to Perth later in the year. Give those lower clubs a leg up to be more competitive and potentially snatch a win.

If they wanted to pamper the Tigers you would be playing them at the G.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers, assume that has to do with game day advertising etc? Advertisers, sponsors etc are getting less games regardless, so changes have already been made to agreements. I can't imagine it would have been that difficult to ensure that a team has their home game sponsorship arrangements for half the games, regardless of the venue. For example, Collingwood could still have their game day advertsing etc. when playing St Kilda at Geelong.
Yep, club sponsors require airtime.

What (I think) you're describing is keeping two separate tallys over the fixture being:
1. Actual games at home vs away (arguably hub vs non hub as well, but lets keep simple for now); and
2. Home sponsor games vs away games (not necessarily aligned to above).

I'd hazard a guess that these contracts won't have wording that would deal with the above classifications and that it's a pretty lengthy process to renegotiate all sponsorship agreements. Also given the current economic climate, I'd daresay clubs are hesitant to reopen sponsorship discussions and amendments.

From a fixturing perspective, it'd difficult (and potentially impossible once you get to the last block of games) to ensure everyone comes out relatively even in both categories.

LOL. So in essence you just want the easiest draw possible?

Remember, we were meant to play each-other at home once each. But playing at a neutral venue the Eagles will be based at for a month beforehand is pampering the tigers? Cringe.

If they wanted to pamper the Tigers you would be playing them at the G.
This

Did notice the game v North and couldn't work it out. I guess they don't want 2 games on the G on the same day, which would make sense, except for the fact that the AFL floated to idea of playing VFL games as warm ups to AFL games just last year.

In regard to a normal year, all works out the in wash usually for the Vic clubs no? Say you need to play a home game v North at Marvel, you also get to play Geelong at the G.
Works out for us whilst we keep getting double ups with Cats at the G. Pies + Tigers yes, Cats it never works out.

LOL. So in essence you just want the easiest draw possible?

Remember, we were meant to play each-other at home once each. But playing at a neutral venue the Eagles will be based at for a month beforehand is pampering the tigers? Cringe.

This

Just ignore Obeanie1.

Never happy unless he is whinging and moaning about something.

Yep, club sponsors require airtime.

What (I think) you're describing is keeping two separate tallys over the fixture being:
1. Actual games at home vs away (arguably hub vs non hub as well, but lets keep simple for now); and
2. Home sponsor games vs away games (not necessarily aligned to above).

I'd hazard a guess that these contracts won't have wording that would deal with the above classifications and that it's a pretty lengthy process to renegotiate all sponsorship agreements. Also given the current economic climate, I'd daresay clubs are hesitant to reopen sponsorship discussions and amendments.

From a fixturing perspective, it'd difficult (and potentially impossible once you get to the last block of games) to ensure everyone comes out relatively even in both categories.

In regard to the bolded in your post, that's a great point and not one I considered.

You are correct in what I was describing.

I do agree it is difficult in regard to the fixture. I do feel that it would be much easier to react to the possible changing environment if they don't allow themselves to get so far back in regard to equity of home ground games.

If all games were currently neutral, then at end of this current block their position would be this:

Owed a home ground game: Fremantle, Port, Brisbane,Melbourne,Geelong,Sydney, Collingwood, Blues

+1 on a home ground game: Eagles, Suns, Dons, Giants,Dogs,Crows,Hawks,Tigers

Already even: North, Saints

During this "Neutral Period", schedule the following: Lions v Eagles @ Gabba, Swans v Giants @ SCG, Blues v Hawks @ Marvel, Geelong v Tigers @ GMHBA, Collingwood v Essendon @ MCG, Melbourne v Dogs @ MCG

This leaves after "Neutral Period": Freo and Port owed a home ground game, Suns and Crows still needing to play away. Doesn't matter if the hubs are extended again, as long as the games are neutral everyone is on a reasonably even draw, and can be still tweaked to get it all even.

As it stands, if there is an issue, and the hubs get extended for another 4 weeks, Fremantle and Port will need to be owed 8 home ground games, Eagles and Crows 7. Seems like a much harder scenario to deal with. This may not occur, and they may be able to tweak the draw to make it far more even after this initial period, but the factors that will dictate that are completely out of their control.

Enjoy your Pampered Premierships.

At least when the Eagles win one they know they earned it. No leg ups or pampering from VFL House.

Makes the wins so, so much sweeter.

You call it complaining. We just like to point out the pampered and the *** next to those pampered premierships.
Just like trump fans sprouting “fake news” after orange face ran with it now these sheep running with “pampered” after their premier used it to get re-elected.

I’d say the Afl scheduled us there early to have a huge game in the early rds the same reason why there are lots of big match ups early on. I also see we were supposed to play you in rd 5 of the original fixture.

I take it you don't like it when I use your arguments back against you.

These are just the things WCE fans continually try and present as being the MASSIVE impediments the "VFL" put in their way.

WC relocate for a month. You just erase that? WC is starting a mile behind.

And the game at the neutral venue counts as a WC "home game". Richmond fly in to that neutral venue and then go home. So who is worse off?

A complete account would acknowledge the facts above.

Is it "spin" to say that relocating for a month is a disadvantage? Or that "hosting" a team at a neutral venue as opposed to your home ground is a disadvantage? Is that "spin"?

As I said, everything must be spun so as to foster your victim mentality.

Just so long as the facts get ignored.

The venue is a neutral venue. Is that disputable? But one team is playing "at home", even though they aren't.

What is a "neutral contest"?

We don't know the cost/benefit of being relocated somewhere for a month. You assume it's an advantage. Granted, you wouldn't want to fly anywhere the day of the game if you had a choice. But I think I'd still prefer to be in Richmond's shoes i.e. a flying visit for an "away" game at a neutral venue, before going home.
Good to know. Next time an non-Vic team whines about having to play an MCG tenant at Marvel I'll quote this post. That interstate travel the day before to play against a team on a neutral venue is not only not a disadvantage, but might even be an advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back