Game Day West Coast v Port Adelaide Preseason Training Drill @ Lathlain 4.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hewett looked so good because he was on of the few players other than Yeo and Ryan who actually looked explosive and dangerous.

He'd hunt the ball, or he'd hunt the opposition in a tackle. Lots of intensity, felt dangerous whenever he was around the footy.

Him getting to that clearance ahead of HornFranFlog (who shows a lot of intensity himself mind you) win the footy, shrug that kents tackle attempt off and pump it long inside our F50 stood out like dogs balls. Especially after Yeo disappeared and we had to watch plodders like Sheed, Gaff and Culley snail along attempting to win a clearance.

30 secs later Hewett crunches in again and lays a hard contest on FranFlog. Couple minutes later he bursts (once again) through a stoppage and snaps the best goal of the day.

Moment later he's at the CBD, almost winning the clearance again but crunching in on top of Wines.

Along with Shuey and Yeo (not sure about Ginbey yet) he brings some much needed power and swervabilty at the coal face. Kelly, Sheed, Gaff and Culley don't have much of that in the kit bag.

At worst you'd think he'd be a shoe in as the sub for round 1 now.

"Culley's a plodder"

"Culley will never be an elite AFL player"

"Culley likes pineapple on his pizza"

Just coz the kid made you backflip on deleting your account Dark Sharks doesn't mean you have to target him with your negativity.

"Culley's a plodder"

Just coz the kid made you backflip on deleting your account Dark Sharks doesn't mean you have to target him with your negativity.

I think Culley is going to be fine. He will probably just be a more defensive mid as he develops.

Insane tackle numbers last year and his big frame should be put to good use blocking and making space for our more explosive guys around the stoppages. Height and goal kicking ability when drifting forward.

I'm still high af on him but those expecting a Shuey or Yeo clone need to calm their **** a little. Perfect foil to Hewitt.

I think Culley is going to be fine. He will probably just be a more defensive mid as he develops.

Insane tackle numbers last year and his big frame should be put to good use blocking and making space for our more explosive guys around the stoppages. Height and goal kicking ability when drifting forward.

I'm still high af on him but those expecting a Shuey or Yeo clone need to calm their **** a little. Perfect foil to Hewitt.

If he's not the next Sam Walsh he's a list clogged IMO.

"Culley's a plodder"

Never said he won't be a good AFL player.

Squashface nailed it earlier. He's a very reactive player, and unfortunately all the pre seasons in the world probably won't do much for his pace and agility.

Those the facts. Doesn't mean I'm not rooting for him or think he can be a good player, but my point about him having one gear stands.

So did Priddis, Redden, Gaff, Bock etc, so being slow is hardly a death sentence on your career :shrug:

People get so offended about any sort of criticism unless the players been around 4 years. Brayden was bad day 1 but you're a campaigner if you pointed it out until year 4 when everyone else is allowed to join in apparently.

Squashface nailed it earlier. He's a very reactive player, and unfortunately all the pre seasons in the world probably won't do much for his pace and agility.

Those the facts. Doesn't mean I'm not rooting for him or think he can be a good player, but my point about him having one gear stands.

So did Priddis, Redden, Gaff, Bock etc, so being slow is hardly a death sentence on your career :shrug:

People get so offended about any sort of criticism unless the players been around 4 years. Brayden was bad day 1 but you're a campaigner if you pointed it out until year 4 when everyone else is allowed to join in apparently.

You're entitled to make an early prediction on a player's ability and career - temper expectations, limited abilities etc - as are others allowed to counter your comments and perhaps employ a bit more patience in making their own calls.

You can paint it however you want, but he played a half of a scratch match - if you think that is sufficient enough exposure to make calls then great, unfortunately I don't agree - even if you may be right come the future.

No one is offended, but I can say "jeez mate, did he push off the dumbbell rack or something?".

You're entitled to make an early prediction on a player's ability and career - temper expectations, limited abilities etc - as are others allowed to counter your comments and perhaps employ a bit more patience in making their own calls.

You can paint it however you want, but he played a half of a scratch match - if you think that is sufficient enough exposure to make calls then great, unfortunately I don't agree - even if you may be right come the future.

You act like I'm writing him off or pointing out fixable things in his game, like skills, intent, tackling or endurance or something.

I'm pointing out his pace, or lack thereof. In what world is that going to change? Patience is fine, but there's things that will be consistent regardless of how many pre seasons he does. It's like seeing Sean Darcy play round one and saying "that man is tall".

It's not exactly a bold statement.

You act like I'm writing him off or pointing out fixable things in his game, like skills, intent, tackling or endurance or something.

I'm pointing out his pace, or lack thereof. In what world is that going to change? Patience is fine, but there's things that will be consistent regardless of how many pre seasons he does. It's like seeing Sean Darcy play round one and saying "that man is tall".

It's not exactly a bold statement.

You called him reactive 2 posts ago.

DS you’re missing the point, well let’s just say that’s a normal state of affairs for you. No one really gets offended in a forum such as this, it’s more a state of “pissedoffedness” after reading the predictable and repetitive garbage you post. If you’re harpooning Culley this early on then I think you’re well and truly off target. The Brayden comment reinforces you’re acidic side and what a “piece of work” you really are. How ‘bout you stop being a total prat and try posting in a more balanced mode, who knows, you make actually start to enjoy it.

Culley was one of the offseason/training standouts, coach+senior players talking him up.
Asking for a friend - can someone like Gaff be offloaded in the midseason trade, regardless of contract? (;

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:thumbsupemoji:

Well actually squashy did, and I agreed. So Yes.

I called an AFL player reactive, holy s**t I better pack my bags, that means prison.

Well mate, I think you're the one going towards the offended campaigner levels there eh. Fair for you to have your opinion, fair for me to have mine.

Did Culley ever do any of the athletic testing/profiling for the mid season draft (or even his years intake for national)?

Can't really recall seeing any combine numbers from him.

DS you’re missing the point, well let’s just say that’s a normal state of affairs for you. No one really gets offended in a forum such as this, it’s more a state of “pissedoffedness” after reading the predictable and repetitive garbage you post. If you’re harpooning Culley this early on then I think you’re well and truly off target. The Brayden comment reinforces you’re acidic side and what a “piece of work” you really are. How ‘bout you stop being a total prat and try posting in a more balanced mode, who knows, you make actually start to enjoy it.

Cheers for chapter 2 babe.

:handpointright::handok:

'If my intel is correct, and it pretty much always is"......your intel manifests itself in your own mind! The garbage you constantly regurgitate on these forums has rendered you irrelevant and the only person who puts any value on your posts is, guess who, YOU!

I didn’t see him do much at centre bounces or stoppages which is the main reason we have him in the guts. He looks slow, has the turning circle of the QE 2 and so far hasn’t got his hands on the footy much in there. Hopefully he gets a lot better to justify his spot in there. Otherwise maybe he can play forward with his height and strength?
You’re being a bit harsh here I reckon. The guy’s really not the plodder you’re making him out to be. Give him some time in the middle to learn the ropes a bit more and his size and thirst for the contest will see him become a damaging midfielder for us sooner rather than later.

Would be good to hear from anyone who was at the game to let us know how he went in the second match because apparently he went alright.

"Culley's a plodder"

For the record...I love pineapple on my pizza but can't stand beetroot on a burger!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back