Game Day West Coast v Port Adelaide Preseason Training Drill @ Lathlain 4.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you haven't aleady have a read of "Save Our Sleep" by Tizzie Hall. Got both our kids onto it and they were 12 hour sleepers after 2 weeks.

This one is far more effective:

images (6).jpeg

If you haven't aleady have a read of "Save Our Sleep" by Tizzie Hall. Got both our kids onto it and they were 12 hour sleepers after 2 weeks.

Oh pal.

Got it, downloaded it, printed off and binded the PDF booklet schedule thing for us and everything...

Pitched the idea to the missus and midwife and they both went "Reeeeeeeeeeeeeee...."

💀

Worked amazing for our first (mainly cause we were pretty young and had no idea what to even do with a baby 😂) but it worked a treat, and he slept through the night at 8 weeks old. Just gotta be able to handle a bit of crying when you know they’re fed and clean etc, and just let them cry it out for a bit. Can be brutal at first but found it worked really well. Second child had horrible reflux, third had mad ear infection issues and grommets at 9 months old cause they were so bad, so the routines went out the window for the 2nd and 3rd, but worked at certain stages. So long story short, I’d recommend trying it before saying it’ll never work 👍 gone quite off topic haven’t we 😂

Was so lucky, my little bloke was a professional sleeper from day dot.
I remember going to stay at a resort for a week with another couple that had a newborn and they were blown away by his sleeping habits, would go to sleep about 7'ish, up for a feed about 1am (clockwork)then out like a light until 8 or 9am.
Once he went onto the bottle he'd just sleep right through.

People getting very defensive when someone points out that Culley actually probably isn't the second coming of Judd.

He isn't quick and isn't particularly agile with high tackle numbers (which suggests he is often second to the ball). That doesn't mean he won't be a nice defensive mid.

Have a gander at the list of Chas winners. Lots you wouldn’t describe as particularly ‘quick’. Not saying a mid season pick is going to be crazy good but he has plenty going for him that I don’t think one pre season horseshit match sim detracts from.

Think about this - someone like Hewett (who I love the look of btw) has been spoken up to now as maybe 3rd in line from new draftees (Ginbey & Long) to possibly score a round one berth. Hewett rightly so decidedly comes out and goes at 100% when it’s fair to say some that are more secure / locked to figure get a little semi competitive hitout in and go more through the motions of a scratchy and log minutes / focus on certain areas / whatever.

I kind of think that Culley who only got proper serious with his training after his first eligible draft year (when he has said he had no belief he’d get picked up) - to how hard he worked and got to no1 mid season status - to being a workhorse trainer who has significantly since arriving increased his endurance etc bodes well to be a very, very good inside midfielder for us that can also push forward and hit the scoreboard due to his height and strength. I also think the club often temper their projected views on the new guys a bit historically but he has been talked up a bunch from what they see behind closed doors - both immediately after arriving and now with much further hype with the nick he’s in after his first preseason. I tend to think they know far more than us and that strong view on his worth should be taken into consideration when aiming to comment on his limitations going forward. I for one think he’s a lock on ball rd one, will be a beast inside around the contest very shortly and eventually be a huge cog in the middle for us

Last edited:
Have a gander at the list of Chas winners. Lots you wouldn’t describe as particularly ‘quick’. Not saying a mid season pick is going to be crazy good but he has plenty going for him that I don’t think one pre season horseshit match sim detracts from.

Think about this - someone like Hewett (who I love the look of btw) has been spoken up to now as maybe 3rd in line from new draftees (Ginbey & Long) to possibly score a round one berth. Hewett rightly so decidedly comes out and goes at 100% when it’s fair to say some that are more secure / locked to figure get a little semi competitive hitout in and go more through the motions of a scratchy and log minutes / focus on certain areas / whatever.

I kind of think that Culley who only got proper serious with his training after his first eligible draft year (when he has said he had no belief he’d get picked up) - to how hard he worked and got to no1 mid season status - to being a workhorse trainer who has significantly since arriving increased his endurance etc bodes well to be a very, very good inside midfielder for us that can also push forward and hit the scoreboard due to his height and strength. I also think the club often temper their projected views on the new guys a bit historically but he has been talked up a bunch from what they see behind closed doors - both immediately after arriving and now with much further hype with the nick he’s in after his first preseason. I tend to think they know far more than us and that strong view on his worth should be taken into consideration when aiming to comment on his limitations going forward. I for one think he’s a lock on ball rd one, will be a beast inside around the contest very shortly and eventually be a huge cog in the middle for us
Culley is a lock. I'd bet my dentures on it.

Any chance the coaches are trying to find a second position for Gaff, as he's cooked as a Wing?
The coaches tried him as an inside mid in 2021 and 2022. Excuse - we had no option and he did well consider he was carrying an injury

There is a very strong correlation with being 18th in ground ball gets and contested football and Gaff as the inside bull.

If Simpson continues this approach, Daniel Curtin will be available with our first round pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Squashface nailed it earlier. He's a very reactive player, and unfortunately all the pre seasons in the world probably won't do much for his pace and agility.

The kid hired a running coach and in the time between missing out on getting drafted and the start of a new season improved his speed and acceleration measurably.

But at 19 and in a professional environment, you believe he has no further improvement left? Bit pessimistic I would have thought.

Say what you want about his odd flourbag turnover, but I love it when McGovern takes a grab, doesn't move an inch back off the mark, complains about the defender having overstepped, and then stabs one straight through the middle of the park :eggplant:💦

I personally agree Culley is reactive but I also reckon his best footy will be a few years away (still should make an impact at AFL level). Like noted previously he hasn’t come from an elite pathways like majority of kids and I don’t think he was a natural mid (could be wrong). While physically he seems to be getting fitter and stronger, his midfield craft has a long way to go. That doesn’t improve overnight and it’s also something that improves by getting out there and actually being thrown in the guts. The kids has a strong work ethic and he also seems to smarter than a lot of 18 year olds. Doesn’t happen a lot as it used to but I actually don’t mind seeing used as a tagger in the early years so he can actually learn of the best players and see their running patterns/and their craft at stoppages.

Is anyone actually expecting Culley to be the second coming of Chris Judd?

Culley isn't quick, granted. But, he fills a glaring need. He is a tackling machine, loves to fight for the contested ball, is a bigger body, and is capable of hitting the scoreboard. The guys excels at getting his hands dirty each week and even though it's not exactly glamorous, it's effective

If we've got another good young mid on our hands that is excellent at the doing the grunt work, via the mid season draft no less, we have got ourselves a bargain

The polish and pizzaz in the years ahead can come from Ginbey and Hewitt

Is anyone actually expecting Culley to be the second coming of Chris Judd?

Culley isn't quick, granted. But, he fills a glaring need. He is a tackling machine, loves to fight for the contested ball, is a bigger body, and is capable of hitting the scoreboard. The guys excels at getting his hands dirty each week and even though it's not exactly glamorous, it's effective

If we've got another good young mid on our hands that is excellent at the doing the grunt work, via the mid season draft no less, we have got ourselves a bargain

The polish and pizzaz in the years ahead can come from Ginbey and Hewitt

Exactly.

I also don't think a glorified training run of keepy off vs Port suited his game style either.

Come a contested slog in wet weather, against bigger bodies, he'll be rolled gold.

I'd love for Culley just to be the next peak Yeo - a BIG bodied mid who tackles and runs both ways.

Imagine if he became that at the same time as Ginbey became a Cripps and Chesser becomes a Cousins-lite.

Peak Yeo was 2018 yeo when he was more balanced and also an offensive threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back