West Coast - where to now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Form is definitely down from previous years, the question is whether it's enough to move him on and change up the midfield structure.

I don't doubt that he tries his best and give his all for the club but unfortunately that isn't enough to earn you a spot. Especially now you have someone like Partington displaying hot form that could push for his place.

The stats do not support your view. Matt Priddis 6 11 17 1 0 3 1 9

The 9 tackles is elite. Not his fault the Eagels lost. Silly idea to drop him to East Perth. What would that achieve?
Stats splats schmats

The fact that he got run around like a witches hat do

You clearly didnt watch the game

Are you his mother or something? His form is down on previous years.

You are writing him off & that is pathetic at best - yes, he's down on last year, yes we've a severely weakened ruck battery, yes we've not worked out how to use both Pridda & Mitch to best advantage
BUT
the best you can offer is a kid who hasn't played a game yet. That is no solution when finals remain a realistic possibility.

You are writing him off & that is pathetic at best - yes, he's down on last year, yes we've a severely weakened ruck battery, yes we've not worked out how to use both Pridda & Mitch to best advantage
BUT
the best you can offer is a kid who hasn't played a game yet. That is no solution when finals remain a realistic possibility.

His decline is undeniable and given the fact that we have an aging list and an already deficient midfield we need to blood some new kids or the situation is going to be worse in 2018. Parto is in good form and that must be rewarded.
What are your thoughts on Priddis playing on the HFF, i'm sure its something special?

It's glaringly obvious that negative impact Priddis is having on the midfield, no amount of "working out how best to use him and mitch to advantage" or crossing our fingers, closing our eyes and hoping that the midfield just suddenly clicks after so many years is going to work. He's finished, it's time to accept it and move on, the club, priddis and the fans will all be better off for it. We probably won't legitimately challenge this year with or without priddis but if we can move forward and find a better midfield setup for next year, with the return of Nic nat we could return to contention. But if I'm honest I think we have a far better chance of challenging this year if we take Priddis out of the 22, we are essentially playing a man down in the midfield and I dare say we would've won atleast 2 of the GC, GWS and Melbourne games without Priddis in the side, and this thread wouldn't even exist, but it's all speculation so let's just hope the club make the right decision and look to the future.

He's a well known Eagles troll.
Nah he's a well known moron

Karpany looked promising on Saturday night. Cole showed a bit recently too. Barrass is a very good intercept marker.

Critical offseason for the eagles as they need to transition a few senior players out

His decline is undeniable and given the fact that we have an aging list and an already deficient midfield we need to blood some new kids or the situation is going to be worse in 2018. Parto is in good form and that must be rewarded.
What are your thoughts on Priddis playing on the HFF, i'm sure its something special?

Lets see, less tackles, less clearances, less hand balls. To me its on ball, centre bounces or not at all .... be sure, I'm for giving the kids a go & Simpson seems to be rotating them thru :thumbsu: ... no doubt the kid Parto will get his chance & good luck to him.
Surely Jack Darling needs a spell more so than Priddis, perhaps this week IF Lycett is back allowing Vardy to be the extra tall.

It's glaringly obvious that negative impact Priddis is having on the midfield, no amount of "working out how best to use him and mitch to advantage" or crossing our fingers, closing our eyes and hoping that the midfield just suddenly clicks after so many years is going to work. He's finished, it's time to accept it and move on, the club, priddis and the fans will all be better off for it. We probably won't legitimately challenge this year with or without priddis but if we can move forward and find a better midfield setup for next year, with the return of Nic nat we could return to contention. But if I'm honest I think we have a far better chance of challenging this year if we take Priddis out of the 22, we are essentially playing a man down in the midfield and I dare say we would've won atleast 2 of the GC, GWS and Melbourne games without Priddis in the side, and this thread wouldn't even exist, but it's all speculation so let's just hope the club make the right decision and look to the future.

Add a bit of flesh to 'glaring obvious'? Do you mean negative as against last year, do you mean negative as against other members of the midfield?
We'd have won games you reckon/dream/hope without Priddis on the side ..... so Priddis is the only factor, pal, you've one too many yi yeo's :thumbsu:.

Add a bit of flesh to 'glaring obvious'? Do you mean negative as against last year, do you mean negative as against other members of the midfield?
We'd have won games you reckon/dream/hope without Priddis on the side ..... so Priddis is the only factor, pal, you've one too many yi yeo's :thumbsu:.
I mean glaringly obvious as in anyone without their head up their ass can see it. I've been one of Priddis's greatest advocates before this year but it is now apparent that his offensive and defensive weaknesses impact the game more than his contested ball winning ability and clearance work. He's down 25% on contested possessions from last year, 13% on tackles, clearances down 32%.

He was well and truly elite at the above things before this year, which mitigated the effect his glaring weaknesses had. He is no longer an inside bull, and as soon as the ball gets more than 2 or 3 metres out of a contest he is rendered absolutely useless, I don't think I've ever seen someone plod along behind someone carrying the ball without ever getting close enough to tackle them as often as Priddis does. He also seems to be putting people under more pressure with his handpasses than in past years and his kicking somehow seems to be worse.

It wouldn't be as much of a problem if we didn't already have a relatively slow plodding midfield, but with the addition of Mitchell it has just exacerbated the problem, and I can say with 100% confidence that just about anyone you ask would prefer Mitchell in the centre if forced to choose between him and Priddis.

Is that enough flesh for you?

Like NM they loaded up for a tilt at a flag but it appears they will miss the 8 completely.

Can't see them dropping or retiring Priddis et al which will mean 2018 we can expect a slower midfield but a dominant ruckman.

I think they're in all sorts of trouble short and long term and I think Simpson is too stubborn to rebuild.

Where are they at and what should their strategy be going forward?
Not in as much trouble as us!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean glaringly obvious as in anyone without their head up their ass can see it. I've been one of Priddis's greatest advocates before this year but it is now apparent that his offensive and defensive weaknesses impact the game more than his contested ball winning ability and clearance work. He's down 25% on contested possessions from last year, 13% on tackles, clearances down 32%.

He was well and truly elite at the above things before this year, which mitigated the effect his glaring weaknesses had. He is no longer an inside bull, and as soon as the ball gets more than 2 or 3 metres out of a contest he is rendered absolutely useless, I don't think I've ever seen someone plod along behind someone carrying the ball without ever getting close enough to tackle them as often as Priddis does. He also seems to be putting people under more pressure with his handpasses than in past years and his kicking somehow seems to be worse.

It wouldn't be as much of a problem if we didn't already have a relatively slow plodding midfield, but with the addition of Mitchell it has just exacerbated the problem, and I can say with 100% confidence that just about anyone you ask would prefer Mitchell in the centre if forced to choose between him and Priddis.

Is that enough flesh for you?

Enough flesh :thumbsu:
Negative on last year, fine with that.
Replace him with a rookie is a step too far IMHO at this point.
I also agree Mitch is outperforming Pridda to date.

Enough flesh :thumbsu:
Negative on last year, fine with that.
Replace him with a rookie is a step too far IMHO at this point.
I also agree Mitch is outperforming Pridda to date.
That's generally what you do when a senior player has past their expiry, you drop them and bring in someone else who is performing in the 2's. Priddis shouldn't be exempt from that, and Partington has been absolutely killing the WAFL the last few weeks.

There are obvious weaknesses in the WC midfield, but it hasn't stopped them being a good to really good side the past couple if years.

The obvious difference for me is that they're missing their two best players for long stretches of time. Just because they're talls rather than accumulating mids doesn't mean that they're more expendable - they're probably even more important.

Kennedy and NicNat in that side from the start of the season and they're probably 8-5 at worst imo. Imagine what any other team's win loss would look like without their two best players for a large chunk of the season.

Maybe GWS still survive without two of Cameron/Shiel/Shaw/Kelly or whoever you think their best two players are. Melbourne are going well without Hogan and missed Gawn for a stretch, so that's comparable, but Viney is probably their best player. Honourable mention though.

But two of Sloane/Talia/Betts missing and Adelaide are average. Sydney without Franklin and Kennedy? Port without Gray and Ryder or Dixon? Bulldogs without Bontempelli and maybe Wood and many of us would almost pack up and go home.

And Geelong. Jesus, where the hell would they be?

Bit of an awkward position for them because on paper, they have a 22 that should be top four but unfortunately, that midfield isn't as dominant as it should be and it affects the forward delivery negatively and they are struggling to kick winning scores. I don't think they have the short term assets to go for a premiership or the long term assets to stay up and challenge again in a short while.

Powell-Pepper is a bit miss who would have been everything West Coast need in that midfield, and I think they should have targeted McCarthy as a young tall option to take heat off Darling and to have insurance if Kennedy replacement doesn't go according to play. I think they need to head strictly to the draft and hit up the FA market and find some middle-aged talent, from as big as Fyfe to someone who can be a risk but can reward highly like Motlop.

I can. We're travelling pretty badly at the moment.

Bit of a cripple fight but you guys should easily account for us.

All I ask for is none of that soft corralling s**t, we go hard and we tackle like every opposing player was Clayton Oliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back