West Coast - where to now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

What's wrong with Gaff? I quite like him as a player.

Gets a lot of the ball but doesn't hurt as much as he should with it.

Still easily first 18 but if a good offer comes in I'd take it.

What's wrong with Gaff? I quite like him as a player.
This, not hating on Gaff i quite like him. But if we could get a Cripps like player id be all for it.
Gets a lot of the ball but doesn't hurt as much as he should with it.

Still easily first 18 but if a good offer comes in I'd take it.

Its all about youth in the middle.

Only Duggan and Sheed under the age of 25 as mids on Saturday night - by comparison, Melbourne had Viney, Oliver, Petracca, Stretch, Harmes, Bugg, ANB, Tyson. Now, I'm not saying they dont still have time - Shuey is still 27 - but they are closer to the end than the beginning.

Need to draft best available mid this year. Probably 2 or 3.

Only Duggan and Sheed under the age of 25 as mids on Saturday night - by comparison, Melbourne had Viney, Oliver, Petracca, Stretch, Harmes, Bugg, ANB, Tyson. Now, I'm not saying they dont still have time - Shuey is still 27 - but they are closer to the end than the beginning.

That's not unexpected when comparing a team who has been around the top of the ladder for the past 10 years with one that has been on the bottom. From the WA perspective since we get bombarded with WC articles every day all year round, it was apparent that WC had loaded up for a last tilt at the cup with their Dad's army list before the GWS behemoth takes over (if they can keep their injuries to a minimum). It just looks like the attempt will unlikely come off before the next rebuild (and the media hype has died down since). A pity since their best player by a country mile in Kennedy is about to enter his 30s and will start the downward trend towards retirement (and the achilles inj. won't help).

That's not unexpected when comparing a team who has been around the top of the ladder for the past 10 years with one that has been on the bottom. From the WA perspective since we get bombarded with WC articles every day all year round, it was apparent that WC had loaded up for a last tilt at the cup with their Dad's army list before the GWS behemoth takes over (if they can keep their injuries to a minimum). It just looks like the attempt will unlikely come off before the next rebuild (and the media hype has died down since). A pity since their best player by a country mile in Kennedy is about to enter his 30s and will start the downward trend towards retirement (and the achilles inj. won't help).

Yeah, it was a flag tilt that has gone wrong. I still think a 2018 push is possible if Mitchell plays next year and largely maintains his form.

It all depends on how Naitanui recovers and if Shuey can step it up another level to become truly elite. I'd argue those two are just as if not more important than Kennedy. The good thing is that our top 10 draft picks so far (I count Sheed because we correctly gambled on him slipping from 6 to 11) haven't been busts. Even in our annus horribilis of 2010 when we 'won' the wooden spoon we only got pick 4 because of Gold Coast concessions. It's hard to build a quality midfield with middling draft picks, need a bit of luck on that front.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're in that terrible list management spot where the team is built around trying to go for the flag but we're no where near that, so we either stay where we are, mid table for the next few years, or start trading some of our players that have some currency like Gaff, go back down the bottom of the ladder, and rebuild through the draft, I'd rather go to the bottom and work back up than stay mid table ala Richmond for the next 5 years

F/S freebie (4 picks before Viney was selected, joke), pick 4, pick 2, pick 3 (ex-GWS, traded for pick 2) in that lot.

'Best available mid' is relative. Sheed was pick 11 in 2013 after we traded pick 6 for pick 11 and Yeo, Duggan pick 11 in 2014. Gaff turned 25 two weeks ago and was pick 4 in 2010. Hutchings, Mitchell, Priddis were all picked up for nothing. Jetta traded for Sinclair who was a rookie. Shuey was pick 18, Cole 36. I don't think I missed anyone. Masten is the highest drafted mid we have but can't get a game.

Melbourne have had picks 4, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 2, 2, 3, 6, 8 to play with over the last decade. Some hits and misses, and Scully obviously turning from 1 into 4 & 14 2 years later, but that's access to top end talent streets ahead of any club not called Gold Coast or GWS. By comparison we had 2 (Naitanui), 7 (Sheppard), 4 (Gaff), 6 (Sheed & Yeo) plus 3 from the Judd trade. Call it a whinge if you want, but it's really just how it is in a competition with a draft. We'd love a Petracca or Bont or Kelly etc. but we simply haven't been s**t enough to get them. That may rectify this year, but we look about a mid table side so will end up with a pick around 10ish. Now that the expansion drafts and compo picks are out of the way I think the days of clubs getting multiple picks in the top 5 are done for everyone excluding the NSW/Qld clubs with academy selections. Our best bet is trying to pry away someone like Coniglio from GWS then going to the draft.

F/S freebie (4 picks before Viney was selected, joke), pick 4, pick 2, pick 3 (ex-GWS, traded for pick 2) in that lot.

'Best available mid' is relative. Sheed was pick 11 in 2013 after we traded pick 6 for pick 11 and Yeo, Duggan pick 11 in 2014. Gaff turned 25 two weeks ago and was pick 4 in 2010. Hutchings, Mitchell, Priddis were all picked up for nothing. Jetta traded for Sinclair who was a rookie. Shuey was pick 18, Cole 36. I don't think I missed anyone. Masten is the highest drafted mid we have but can't get a game.

Melbourne have had picks 4, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 2, 2, 3, 6, 8 to play with over the last decade. Some hits and misses, and Scully obviously turning from 1 into 4 & 14 2 years later, but that's access to top end talent streets ahead of any club not called Gold Coast or GWS. By comparison we had 2 (Naitanui), 7 (Sheppard), 4 (Gaff), 6 (Sheed & Yeo) plus 3 from the Judd trade. Call it a whinge if you want, but it's really just how it is in a competition with a draft. We'd love a Petracca or Bont or Kelly etc. but we simply haven't been s**t enough to get them. That may rectify this year, but we look about a mid table side so will end up with a pick around 10ish. Now that the expansion drafts and compo picks are out of the way I think the days of clubs getting multiple picks in the top 5 are done for everyone excluding the NSW/Qld clubs with academy selections. Our best bet is trying to pry away someone like Coniglio from GWS then going to the draft.
So Tanking works!

I can see us being dumb enough to trade a first rounder for Darling, because we are desperate for a ready made 2nd tall forward.

West Coast should still make the finals. They are still in the 8 and have 5 more games in Perth. They should beat Collingwood at Etihad, and they are getting the Bulldogs at a good time, the Bulldogs are an average team at the moment.

Its ok mate, the crows will play you back into form next week...
We're on different wavelengths mate. Friday night at AO i can see us getting our pants pulled down in a big big way.

The momentum the crows will gain from that will probably propel them deep into September lol

We're on different wavelengths mate. Friday night at AO i can see us getting our pants pulled down in a big big way.

The momentum the crows will gain from that will probably propel them deep into September lol
Either way who cares hey? you won the flag last year the pressure is off

So Tanking works!

Whether they tanked is a controversial issue but they've had a whole heap of top 10 picks since 2007 and eventually you are bound to get it right. For most seasons they didn't tank - they were just s**t.

Melbourne deserve their success - after all you still actually have to develop the players - but let's not pretend that they have been hard done by come draft time.

I don't think "topping up" for a flag for this year and next was necessarily bad policy. Not doing so would have wasted the last few best years for Kennedy and Nic Nat, who as players, don't come around very often. What was bad was taking far too long to drop under performing "mid-tier" players, like Masten, Redden, Lecras... even Priddis currently. Last year was a similar story. The only time sticking with an under-performing player has clearly worked for us was Yeo last season, he was shithouse, but also young himself and growing as a player. Persisting with a 22 year old Yeo is different to a 27 year old Masten or 32 year old Priddis.

This meant that none of our youth apart from Duggan and Sheed (who were both coming back from injuries last year and struggled) have not had consistent exposure, despite in some cases outstanding WAFL form (Partington). Hence we look like "Dad's army" and none of our other younger players have had adequate experience. Now due to form and injury, we have to play several inexperienced players at once which obviously isn't ideal when the aim is top 4. This will be great for future seasons obviously, but isn't so good when the aim is top 4 and flag and for utilising current key assets (Kennedy, Mitchell, Nic Nat next year.)

I can see us being dumb enough to trade a first rounder for Darling, because we are desperate for a ready made 2nd tall forward.
Well if you miraculously find his 2012 form it might be worth it, and without being too critical of Richmond, he would be better than many of the other 2nd talls you have tried over the last few years. Might give some of your other players some flopping classes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back