West Coast - where to now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagles won’t contend but could well finish top 6 next season like Port this season. Sheed Yep Shuey Gaff is an ordinary midfield IMO but then again, Richmond and Adelaide were grand finalists this season with hardly spectacular midfields.

Next season though, I think the Tigers, Crows, Cats, Swans, Power. could definitely put the Eagles to the sword and rinse them by 50+ points given the experience and quality in each midfield. Could plausibly be 40 Minute stretches with no effective clearances IMO. I know Nic Nat is a gun but almost every side in that group has midfielders who have had to learn the art of sharking the taps from opposition ruckmen.

Whether West Coast finishes top 6 or bottom 8 probably lies within how much the Bombers, Dee’s, Saints, Hawks, Pies, Dockers and Dogs improve. All of these sides, like the Eagles with Duggan, Sheed, Barrass, Venables etc. have got a lot of upside in their youth, some have the likelihood of a better run with injury(Dee’s Hawks) while some sides like the Dockers(Fyfe, Bennell), Dons(Francis Langford Laverde Stringer), Saints(Acres Steven), Pies (Treloar Elliot Fasolo) have some players who really need to take the initiative and start proactively controlling their fates and not accepting their inconsistencies/stagnant development.

IMO the Eagles’ potential is more capped than all of these sides due to their midfield just being so light on depth and proven quality, although this is probably arguable for the Dogs Hawks and Dons. What will likely happen IMO is 3 of the above 7 sides finally kick on and position themselves above the Eagles on the ladder, and start to clean up inferior sides. What could happen is all 7 kick on and start improving which is extremely unlikely. Even more unlikely IMO is all 7 sides stagnate for an extra year allowing the Eagles to seize a top 6 position.

However, if the Eagles themselves get some more bad luck with Nic Nat and another of their top 10players they are prime bottom 4 potential IMO. I don’t think the Eagles will be able to recover from a bad start and surge into finals without Nic Nat. If they make finals they have to do what they did this year and be generally very solid and consistent throughout an entire season IMO.

Sorry, what?

WC were generally very solid and consistent throughout the entire season?
Yeah I definitely don’t think you over or underachieved. Played some good games at home, considering JJK missed 5 and the overall weakness of your midfield partially attributed to Simpson’s insistence to play Priddis that was somewhat rewarded in the first final vs Port, 12 wins and a weaker away record is about fair. Next season you can’t underachieve remotely and will likely have to overachieve to make the finals, not sure if that midfield gets you finals unless Redden, Sheed both have career years

Yeah I definitely don’t think you over or underachieved. Played some good games at home, considering JJK missed 5 and the overall weakness of your midfield partially attributed to Simpson’s insistence to play Priddis that was somewhat rewarded in the first final vs Port, 12 wins and a weaker away record is about fair. Next season you can’t underachieve remotely and will likely have to overachieve to make the finals, not sure if that midfield gets you finals unless Redden, Sheed both have career years
I'd say we were one of the flakiest sides in it. When you look at the games we lost from winning positions, with massive lapses and fade-outs, I don't think you could describe us as being very solid or consistent. That was probably the most frustrating thing about watching WC in 2017.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given Sheed is 22, I think it's very possible he can have a career best season.

Turn it up and read what you posted...how can that be misconstrued? I know who you play in round one to kick the season of with a loss.
Considering the original remark was "when will the Eagles start winning games away from home" I don't think Mat Bas's rejoinder was over the top.
Your pedantic effort however.

Considering the original remark was "when will the Eagles start winning games away from home" I don't think Mat Bas's rejoinder was over the top.
Your pedantic effort however.
Oh boo hoo darling. The post reads what I reads and was a clear question. Maybe a wordsmith like yourself could help a pal out and teach him how to be more witty and not subject himself to ridicule with such posts. What about the victorians playing for theagles? Is that considered as victorians winning in Perth?

Early days but I saw very little against Port that gave me cause for optimism.

Five of the first seven matches at Burswood, so need to hit the ground running as early losses will hurt.
???

Port are fourth in line in premiership betting, Eagles won, and we have two handy ins to come back in NN and JK. Shuey and Redden both played well. There was enough to like in that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back