Club Focus Western Bulldogs 2020 - Hannan, Martin, Treloar, Ugle-Hagan, Bedendo

AFL Club Focus

What should the Western Bulldogs prioritise this off-season?

• Getting more draft points to match a bid for Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Getting an early pick before a bid comes for JUH

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Bulldogs club focus thread
So a finalist is going to get the consensus best player in the draft and at least three clubs are going to pass on him to be nice to the Dogs.

I'm assuming we don't bid at pick 1 because we've done a cosy deal with late picks for Dogs pick 14 and we want to lump the pick 1 Adelaide media and supporter pressure on some poor saviour kid we pick. But why wouldn't North bid on JUH at pick 2? North were done no favours with Thomas. FMD this competition is broken.
Didn't see where in my comment I mentioned the reason being "to be nice to the Dogs"?

McDonald and Hollands both have very good claim to be taken before Ugle-Hagan, especially McDonald. There's also a lot of word going around about Adelaide wanting Thilthorpe at Pick 1. If they did, North would likely take McDonald or Hollands at 2. That leaves Sydney at Pick 3, to decide between what's left of those two, or to even consider DGB who has been strongly linked to them. Hawthorn at Pick 4 would then almost certainly make the bid.

Can you point me to what's so wrong there? JUH was considered a "top 5" pick end of last year. Now, without playing any footy this year, people are acting like he is the outright clear Pick 1 suddenly

So a finalist is going to get the consensus best player in the draft and at least three clubs are going to pass on him to be nice to the Dogs.

I'm assuming we don't bid at pick 1 because we've done a cosy deal with late picks for Dogs pick 14 and we want to lump the pick 1 Adelaide media and supporter pressure on some poor saviour kid we pick. But why wouldn't North bid on JUH at pick 2? North were done no favours with Thomas. FMD this competition is broken.

Cal Twomey had Thomas as a possible top 5 prospect at the start of his draft year, and while going at 8 wasn't the greatest for North it's pretty close to where he was expected to go. Doubt they'd be upset about it.

Just makes so much sense for the Doggies to trade out #14 to the Crows as it really does fill both clubs needs
* Crows want to move up and have the later junk picks that equal good points
* Doggies need to most points they can get and only the crows have these as dispensable
* Dealing with the crows who also hold #1 would ensure that is not used to bid ensuring at worst its #2 saving another 500 points
* Gives Crows still 5 picks inside #25 which is what they are after
* Pick #14 also enables the crows to get ahead of Port to bid on the Jones Kid

Just makes so much sense for the Doggies to trade out #14 to the Crows as it really does fill both clubs needs
* Doggies need to most points they can get and only the crows have these as dispensable
* Dealing with the crows who also hold #1 would ensure that is not used to bid ensuring at worst its #2 saving another 500 points
* Gives Crows still 5 picks inside #25 which’s is what they are after

What do you mean get ahead of Port? Our first pick is near on 30 and it’s more likely Adelaide bid on Jones at #9 already.

* Gives Crows still 5 picks inside #25 which is what they are after
We’ll see me at the end of trade period but I suspect we will be getting a fair few offers not just Crows. North depending on what they get for Ben Brown for example.

We’ll see me at the end of trade period but I suspect we will be getting a fair few offers not just Crows. North depending on what they get for Ben Brown for example.
Hope the crows bid on JUH with pick1 unless a trade for 14 is done. If bulldogs trade with another club expect to pay the extra points that come with a pick 1 bid

Hope the crows bid on JUH with pick1 unless a trade for 14 is done. If bulldogs trade with another club expect to pay the extra points that come with a pick 1 bid

Wouldn’t worry me if we had too.

Great story to sell to our members. Finals and the number 1 pick.
I hope you get caught draft tampering by putting this stipulation in your trade offer.

Pick 14 will likely be live traded and the crows will have the most to offer for it. They should bid then trade.

Pick 14 will likely be live traded and the crows will have the most to offer for it. They should bid then trade.
If they bid, then the price is set and bulldogs can trade with anyone, if a trade is done before hand, the crows could pick someone else first

How? The bid for JUH will come well before pick 14, so there won't be any deals done prior to their pick, which means they will lose pick 14 before someone can live trade for it?
They need it gone before the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How? The bid for JUH will come well before pick 14, so there won't be any deals done prior to their pick, which means they will lose pick 14 before someone can live trade for it?
They need it gone before the draft.
They will live trade after the bid is placed and before it is matched.
WB wont want to take a pile of third round picks to the draft as they need a list vacancy for each pick.

They will live trade after the bid is placed and before it is matched.
WB wont want to take a pile of third round picks to the draft as they need a list vacancy for each pick.

Can they actually still do that, didn't Sydney do something similar a couple of years ago and they closed that loophole?

If they bid, then the price is set and bulldogs can trade with anyone, if a trade is done before hand, the crows could pick someone else first
Yes, they could trade with anyone. But as Adelaide will have the most to offer they'll trade with them.

Can they actually still do that, didn't Sydney do something similar a couple of years ago and they closed that loophole?
Sydney's match for Callum Mills was before they limited picks to the number of available list spots, as well as what perplexed said above

After today's pick swap with Collingwood how do the Dogs look leftover pickwise in each case for matching a bid at either pick 1, pick 2 or pick 3?

They have 2319 points.

If a bid comes in at 1, they need 2400 points.

OK if I follow correctly then a Pick 1 bid equals a small points deficit with picks 33, 41, 42 and 54 shifting to the back of the draft. Next year would see the points deficit applied in either the first or second round, which would only make a minimal difference next year.

If a pick 2 bid happens then Pick 42 shifts to pick 67 or thereabouts, 54 moves up about 4 places and the Dogs get 2 picks (33 and 41) moved to the back of the draft.

If a pick 3 bid happens then Pick 42 shifts to 47 or thereabouts, 54 moves up about 3 places and the Dogs get 2 picks (33 and 41) moved the back of the draft.

It looks very much like JUH plus junk picks unless a bid is pick 4 or later, but the Dogs have covered their deficit nicely. They may also be able to trade back into the 2020 draft using futures if they like a player in the 20s or 30s.

as if a club isn't going to bid on him.

wed likely do it out of spite!
you realise that’s not the point of the conversation?

the point is, the Dogs don’t have enough points in this years draft should Adelaide bid using the number 1 pick. It doesn’t really matter is a team from 2 (or is it 4?) onwards bids for him, they’ve got the points to cover it

sometimes this forum is painful

Back