Recommitted Dustin Martin [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I feel tigers are more inclined to knowing they need to get quality draft picks through the door

This is the last chance for it to be done via Dusty Martin

Had strongly considered Sydney before (For Both sides)

Both sides have every right to think they can win a final next year. Dusty has shown reasonable form.

I think hes one of the only avenues tigers have to get back into the draft at a decent range

GWS probably have to lose Haynes for salary cap room atleast, maybe tigers can pay some of the salary aswell to increase the draft return

Sydney seemingly have cap room

It makes sense to both and for the tigers

Id assume around the later first pick range for his worth pending who pays what cap ect may shift it a small margin

Gold Coast were sniffing around apparently. Makes more sense than either Sydney or GWS.

He's categorically not worth a late first though. I reckon he is about as valuable as Hodge was when he went to Brisbane. He's still more damaging than Hodge was then, but isn't the leader of men that Hodge was either.

Only way I can see the Tigers getting something reasonable for him is if they agreed to pay a fair bit of his salary. Even then, I'm not sure it'd be a first-rounder.

For that reason, I imagine he'll stay at Richmond, unless he desperately wants to leave. They wouldn't be able to stomach giving him up for what an opposition club would be prepared to offer for him IMO - and fair enough too.

Gold Coast were sniffing around apparently. Makes more sense than either Sydney or GWS.

He's categorically not worth a late first though. I reckon he is about as valuable as Hodge was when he went to Brisbane. He's still more damaging than Hodge was then, but isn't the leader of men that Hodge was either.

Only way I can see the Tigers getting something reasonable for him is if they agreed to pay a fair bit of his salary. Even then, I'm not sure it'd be a first-rounder.

For that reason, I imagine he'll stay at Richmond, unless he desperately wants to leave. They wouldn't be able to stomach giving him up for what an opposition club would be prepared to offer for him IMO - and fair enough too.
Gold Coast are a mile off winning which may be important for Dusty

Hes also shown a liking to sydney and going there previously

Hes performin way above Hodge was year before he left

But hes older than i thought. Maybe a low to mid 20s pick

Shaun Higgins went for pick 30 at 32 years of age

Last edited:

I dont think its best for Richmond

Theyre bottom 6

Have no picks this year
I'm not sure Dusty is going to get them enough to warrant them doing it though. He can still jump up and shoot the lights out here and there but what club is wanting to chase that?

I'm not sure Dusty is going to get them enough to warrant them doing it though. He can still jump up and shoot the lights out here and there but what club is wanting to chase that?
The bloke is avg 23 and 1.2 goals a game

Im not sure who else in the comp is matching that

Sydney and GWS imo. Theyd see him more than just the player for 2 years aswell

Id assume theyd accept a low to mid 20s pick value 20-25

He's a big game player, and still good enough that a club that is in the mix for a flag would be very keen for his signature.

If Richmond were to cover a decent slice of his salary, a mid-late first rounder wouldn't be out of the question. ( Yeah, it's a lot for a guy his age and FA status, but the improvement in flag prospects would make it worth it).

The chance of it happening probably depends a lot on how much longer Dusty sees his career going. 1-2 years, he'll see out his career at Richmond. 4-5 years, he could well move on to chase some more success. I think the shorter span is more likely.

He is also 33 come finals time next year,

He's not going anywhere. Reportedly very close to signing an extension.

The good thing about Dusty is his game doesn't rely on speed or leap too much, which means he should (in theory) be able to play a bit longer than most players. Had a very strong year this year as a 32 year old.

Greene is averaging 18 and 2.8.

You couldn't put them both in the same team and get the same output. Plus he turned his back on us before. No thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only possible way this gets entertained by Richmond is for a first rounder.
A cooked Brett Deledio who Dusty is older than but playing a lot better than got us a first and a third from GWS, and with the Hardwick connection at the GC, a first rounder isn't out of the question either.

If that means we'd have to pay a portion of salary then that's understood, but for a second rounder I don't think we'd part with the club legend. From recent reports/performance there's hope he might play on until end of 2025/26.

I know that stats aren't everything, but he is still averaging an extremely healthy 22.7 disposals and 1.17 goals a game this year. For comparison sakes, here are the other players in that camp or better:

Petracca with 28.1 and 1.2 goals a game.

No other players in the league are getting that amount of ball and goals.

Mind you I'd be equally happy to keep him until he retires. He is the legend of this successful period for the Tigers.

Gold Coast are a mile off winning which may be important for Dusty

Hes also shown a liking to sydney and going there previously

Hes performin way above Hodge was year before he left

But hes older than i thought. Maybe a low to mid 20s pick

Shaun Higgins went for pick 30 at 32 years of age
That was a shocking trade by the cats though. Not sure wtf they were thinking.

I don't think Dusty will leave.

The only possible way this gets entertained by Richmond is for a first rounder.
A cooked Brett Deledio who Dusty is older than but playing a lot better than got us a first and a third from GWS, and with the Hardwick connection at the GC, a first rounder isn't out of the question either.

If that means we'd have to pay a portion of salary then that's understood, but for a second rounder I don't think we'd part with the club legend. From recent reports/performance there's hope he might play on until end of 2025/26.

I know that stats aren't everything, but he is still averaging an extremely healthy 22.7 disposals and 1.17 goals a game this year. For comparison sakes, here are the other players in that camp or better:

Petracca with 28.1 and 1.2 goals a game.

No other players in the league are getting that amount of ball and goals.

Mind you I'd be equally happy to keep him until he retires. He is the legend of this successful period for the Tigers.
Yeah, but that Deledio deal is evidence of why it would be a shocking trade. If you took away the first round pick in that deal, the 3rd rounder would have been fair value for what Deledio delivered for the Giants.

Dusty's numbers are still solid, but you'd want to be a few years younger putting up those number for the trade to get done for a first IMO.

The thing is, I agree he's worth a first to Richmond. I don't think he is to any other team these days, so I can't see him leaving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back