Recommitted Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030] - clubs are interested, Melbourne willing for the right price

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with the last bit, however there were reasons why he went off the rails more this year. He's still quite immature and struggled to cope with some stuff, but that's not the reasons you dumb someone. I think the club has handled his situation quite well, they've gone hard when he's needed to hear it but also given him a cuddle when required.

To be honest I hope he gets it together
Don't like seeing young men squandering their talents.

we went through it with Thomas (and hopefully he's seen the light). Hopefully Oliver does the same

Because you literally said re: Oliver, "if he's the greatest demon of all time, then he's one of the greatest players of all time."

Why would that be true for a Melbourne player but not a St Kilda player?

Answer: it's not true. It's a lazy argument with a huge amount of holes in it.

I notice you didn't ask that question. Strange to think I'd answer something that wasn't asked.

Great achievement. But for context that award has only been around since 2003. It's an insult to say Oliver is better than some who haven't won any because their careers pre-dated the award itself.
It is true for a stkilda player! Why do you say it's different? Nathan Burke isn't the greatest. The greatest at any of the clubs will be one of the greats automatically.

I said this: "His accomplishments at 26 are probably better than any player in the last 20 years. 3 AA's, 4 BnF's (playing alongside Petracca and Gawn) and 2 AFLCA's. The accolades speak for themselves. Tell me others who have done this, even 1 player. These aren't stats, these are accomplishments". I waited for you to name a single player that has done this. You make a good point in that the award started in 2003. The fact that no-one has done it in 20 years further highlights my point anyway.

Staying put

Clayton Oliver will remain at Melbourne in 2024 after a confronting week for the four-time best-and-fairest winner in which the possibility of prising him out of the club was explored by opposition teams. As of Thursday night, clubs interested in exploring a trade for Oliver had not been told to call off the chase for the contracted 26-year-old, despite ongoing uncertainty surrounding the Demons’ plans for the gun midfielder.

However, The Age has confirmed on Friday, with a source familiar with the discussions that had taken place this week between the club, Oliver and his representatives, that the star on-baller, who is contracted until 2030, would play with the Demons next season.

It is true for a stkilda player! Why do you say it's different? Nathan Burke isn't the greatest. The greatest at any of the clubs will be one of the greats automatically.

I said this: "His accomplishments at 26 are probably better than any player in the last 20 years. 3 AA's, 4 BnF's (playing alongside Petracca and Gawn) and 2 AFLCA's. The accolades speak for themselves. Tell me others who have done this, even 1 player. These aren't stats, these are accomplishments". I waited for you to name a single player that has done this. You make a good point in that the award started in 2003. The fact that no-one has done it in 20 years further highlights my point anyway.
As already stated in a previous post. Pendlebury as a 26 year old was on par (maybe better)

Edit: We are talking about awards here so there is no debating it Pendlebury X5 AA, 1 coaches award, 3 B&F, 1 X NS

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So yes, you think Nathan Burke is one of the all time greats of our game.

Thanks for clarifying. Glad we got there in the end, and now we can put the rest of your argument into context.

Burke is a legend of that club. Just like Oliver he may not be the greatest, but perhaps not far off.

It was already answered. And not particularly relevant to the point I was making, but you knew that.

Shocking that a single first round pick and a few young prospects wouldn't be enough for get Oliver.

So yes, you think Nathan Burke is one of the all time greats of our game.

Thanks for clarifying. Glad we got there in the end, and now we can put the rest of your argument into context.

Burke is a legend of that club. Just like Oliver he may not be the greatest, but perhaps not far off.

It was already answered. And not particularly relevant to the point I was making, but you knew that.
Oliver will be the greatest. Not one of.

Sucks to be Clayton then - not only does he not get to wear the tri-colours, but he still has to live in Victoria.

Oliver will be the greatest. Not one of.

You originally said he's one of the greatest. And at that time the discussion was good enough for Oliver but not good enough for one of the greats elsewhere. Funny that.

Seems you're changing your argument. I probably would too if I was talking rubbish.

Think Melbourne wanted to send him a message to wake up. Little leak to the media about possible trade bait etc.
Somehow I doubt it. Whether a footy club or any sort of business, when dealing with a valuable employee underperforming or with outside work issues, the boss sits down with the employee and has a frank discussion. They don't go sending messages to 3rd parties that so and so needs to pull their head in.

Politics could be the one exception.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back