Free Agency Matt Flynn [Joins West Coast as UFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

I have lost a lot of faith in Xerri - hoping this year was just a loss of pre season fitness after a reasonably bad syndesmosis injury.

I’d be happy to get Flynn for cheap as a UFA - although it’ll affect our compo.

Depending what GWS need/want - be happy to sling them a future 3rd. Be a pick in the late 30s/early 40s depending on F/S etc. Based on Jayden Hunt/Liam Jones last year, we’re in the ballpark for what they would get for compo.

Can you trade for a UFA? I don’t see why not but not sure of the AFL rules.

With this then Xerri has some reasonable AFL competition - at least someone who has shown they can be competitive at AFL level. Bit different with Goldy when he knows Goldy has been on his last legs.

Flynn can also be trialled as a KF/2nd ruck which would go better than CCJ or Goldy doing that role. Comben could move to CHB where he has all the talent to fulfil that spot (and without having to kick at goal).

However I expect this all makes too much sense for North to do, Zac Fisher 5 years and don’t worry about anymore talls.

Whereas Cats can offer him the gig from the get go. I'd imagine Cats could sell him on success too.
That'd he'd be playing with a team just a year off of winning the big one.

Matt is 26 so fits with age profile of a lot of our guys too.

Geelong's on the way down. Flag window complete shut.

This is actually a situation where GWS have all the leverage.

Unless a clubs gonna offer him 600k a year, GWS is going to match and then force a trade.

In that sense id rule out Geelong altogether. GWS aint trading with Geelong again after the constant over the barrels they been getting. I think it would be either Eagles or North Melbourne at this stage.

Hes ufa gws cant match.

Geelong's on the way down. Flag window complete shut.
Oh boy you’re gonna be mad when we get an easier schedule.

Lost 7 games by less than 10 points.
Win half of those as we finish basically top 4. Win all of them and we finish 2nd.

Buttload of injuries this year and the hardest schedule in the comp, didn’t get to run up the score twice against West Coast and Norf like certain teams did.

Looking at our %, it’s highly likely with a full offseason for the first time in 8 years and a fully fit crew we should have a bounce back year. Wouldn’t write off Geelong yet. As much as you dream about it at night…

Oh boy you’re gonna be mad when we get an easier schedule.

Lost 7 games by less than 10 points.
Win half of those as we finish basically top 4. Win all of them and we finish 2nd.

Buttload of injuries this year and the hardest schedule in the comp, didn’t get to run up the score twice against West Coast and Norf like certain teams did.

Looking at our %, it’s highly likely with a full offseason for the first time in 8 years and a fully fit crew we should have a bounce back year. Wouldn’t write off Geelong yet. As much as you dream about it at night…
Would be very surprised to see Geelong bounce back to the top. Top 8 maybe but GWS, Brisbane and Collingwood will be good again next year.

I have lost a lot of faith in Xerri - hoping this year was just a loss of pre season fitness after a reasonably bad syndesmosis injury.

I’d be happy to get Flynn for cheap as a UFA - although it’ll affect our compo.

Depending what GWS need/want - be happy to sling them a future 3rd. Be a pick in the late 30s/early 40s depending on F/S etc. Based on Jayden Hunt/Liam Jones last year, we’re in the ballpark for what they would get for compo.

Can you trade for a UFA? I don’t see why not but not sure of the AFL rules.

With this then Xerri has some reasonable AFL competition - at least someone who has shown they can be competitive at AFL level. Bit different with Goldy when he knows Goldy has been on his last legs.

Flynn can also be trialled as a KF/2nd ruck which would go better than CCJ or Goldy doing that role. Comben could move to CHB where he has all the talent to fulfil that spot (and without having to kick at goal).

However I expect this all makes too much sense for North to do, Zac Fisher 5 years and don’t worry about anymore talls.

Agree he makes a lot of sense. I’ve really liked what I’ve seen from Flynn when healthy

Would be very surprised to see Geelong bounce back to the top. Top 8 maybe but GWS, Brisbane and Collingwood will be good again next year.
Didn't say top, very similar to Port last year who lost 6 games by small margins and bounced straight back to top 4.

Do you think Geelong will make him an offer?
I am undecided if I hope he stays or gets an opportunity elsewhere.
Briggs has gone past him and i doubt he wants to play VFL every week.

Someone will, just depends on who? I know Eagles are interested but it depends if he wants to head West or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I think top 8 would be the aim. We still have a great forward line and the same premiership backline but turnover in the midfield is coming

Wow. The Coasters have paid top dollar for Flynn.

That's not a "ruck merry go round" contract, that's a genuine first ruck contract.

Not knocking that on their part. They need a first ruck, and Flynn is a good try. Him and Williams combo will be an interesting watch next year. Could work.

Great result for Flynn though. And nice bonus for the Orange Tsunami.

He reminds me a little of Steven King from Geelong.

Wow. The Coasters have paid top dollar for Flynn.

That's not a "ruck merry go round" contract, that's a genuine first ruck contract.

Not knocking that on their part. They need a first ruck, and Flynn is a good try. Him and Williams combo will be an interesting watch next year. Could work.

Great result for Flynn though. And nice bonus for the Orange Tsunami.

Band 4 is top 50% of the comp is it not?

Don't think that's unreasonable personally to get someone to relocate over to the other side of the country

Could probably make an argument for a relocation allowance seeing as everyone deems it so far overs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back