Free Agency Matt Flynn [Joins West Coast as UFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

You would assume he is leaving now given briggs emergence. Needs more regular gametime than he will get at gws.
Sydney would be good for him if they dont get grundy, otherwise geelong or port would be good landing spots.

You would assume he is leaving now given briggs emergence. Needs more regular gametime than he will get at gws.
Sydney would be good for him if they dont get grundy, otherwise geelong or port would be good landing spots.
yep 100% admittedly I've seen more of Flynn than Sweet as I have a soft spot for GWS since Kinga took over the reins (and largely is turning GWS into the club I wish Port was) but he would fit in with us nicely i think and with no draft capital we should have enough $ to pay for him

yep 100% admittedly I've seen more of Flynn than Sweet as I have a soft spot for GWS since Kinga took over the reins (and largely is turning GWS into the club I wish Port was) but he would fit in with us nicely i think and with no draft capital we should have enough $ to pay for him
How big a contract do you think you offer.
Do you want him as starting 18 player, or as depth, probably playing 6- 8 games, or as a bench player who you hopefully can sub off at 3qtr time.

How big a contract do you think you offer.
Do you want him as starting 18 player, or as depth, probably playing 6- 8 games, or as a bench player who you hopefully can sub off at 3qtr time.
Honestly no idea but we are in the market for a starting ruck so it would be multiple years at a decent clip I would say

So what 3 yrs + on 4-600 k?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Briggs loses form or gets injured he is back in. Being FA he may well get offered a good enough pay rise to walk even if playing opportunity is not any better than what it is now. Surprised with the lack of talk in the media about him.
Talks will ramp up when GWS eventually gets eliminated from the finals like what happened with Sweet
(hope you still have a few more weeks left in your run at least!)

He’ll be behind Gawn but Dees were keen on Flynn in the draft. I believe we bid on him from memory.

Bad career move from him. He needs a club with a no1 spot up for grabs say geel wce etc.

He's looking west already....

i-can-feel-it-in-my-nuggets-walking.gif

This is actually a situation where GWS have all the leverage.

Unless a clubs gonna offer him 600k a year, GWS is going to match and then force a trade.

In that sense id rule out Geelong altogether. GWS aint trading with Geelong again after the constant over the barrels they been getting. I think it would be either Eagles or North Melbourne at this stage.

Problem is that if North got him as a UFA it would dilute the McKay compo.

If we want him, we need it to be a trade.
Whereas Cats can offer him the gig from the get go. I'd imagine Cats could sell him on success too.
That'd he'd be playing with a team just a year off of winning the big one.

Matt is 26 so fits with age profile of a lot of our guys too.

Unless a clubs gonna offer him 600k a year, GWS is going to match and then force a trade.

In that sense id rule out Geelong altogether. GWS aint trading with Geelong again after the constant over the barrels they been getting. I think it would be either Eagles or North Melbourne at this stage.
We just gave them Pick 18 for Bruhn in a deal that was done almost immediately from when Trade Period opened? There's no bad blood there?

He's an out of contract, Unrestricted Free Agent, so GWS don't get the option to match. That only happens as a Restricted Free Agent.

Last edited:

He's a UFA...I don't think you understand how FA works, lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back