Recommitted Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030] - clubs are interested, Melbourne willing for the right price

Pure_Ownage

TheBrownDog
Nov 26, 2008
PODS fan club office
If teams know that he wants out, waiting a year may work to decrease his value. 1 year less to run on his contract. 1 year older. Potentially a year of disfunction and poor form/attitude. If they get serious offers this year, and there are some clubs with uniquely strong draft hands, then they might well be the best offers they get

Normally id agree with you yes but in this case no. Oliver is a top 20 in the league player many clubs will come for him next year and he will have 6yrs left on contract so melb will still hold the whip hand. His value doesnt decrease next year unless he does an ACL or have a major off field incident (which i suppose might be the risk).

WalshistheGOAT

Mar 25, 2019
Was more thinking with the collateral for clarry they get harry.
We get clarry
Blues get picks and cap
Harry wouldn't get us enough picks for it to be worthwhile imo. If he got us 2 top 5 picks like he may have in 2021 then maybe but adding 1 good kid isn't going to help us a heap. Morris and some of our 'ITK' posters saying our cap space is fine and we'll be active again next year with a few more contracts ending/tapering off.

But either way seems like Clarry is staying put for the time being so its no worries for us.

Mich0

Suspended
Oct 11, 2018
You do realise he is one of the greatest ever to wear the jumper. Or dont you watch Melbourne games?

Weird way to describe a bloke who doesn’t give his team mates or colleagues respect but each to there own.

Jibroni

Jun 14, 2017
Liverpool, AC Milan, North Adelaide
Weird way to describe a bloke who doesn’t give his team mates or colleagues respect but each to there own.

And you think Dustin Martin has been a patron saint his whole career?

I will judge him on how he responds to this.

ABAB

Apr 3, 2018
This only happen this year though which is understandable given what he went through.

arsene wenger1

Jul 14, 2009
adelaide
Dawson, Neale, Dunkley, Walsh, Cripps, Pendlebury, Daicos, Fyfe, Merrett, Dangerfield, Cameron, Petracca, Gulden, Bontempelli

You don’t have to be in s**t off the field to be a good footballer
I get what he’s saying, we’ve recruited the upstanding citizen from a great family in the past instead of the best talented player.

Think he’s missed the mark with this one though, as Oliver’s situation appears to be heading down a dangerous path

May 8, 2023
Do you feel the same way about nathan jones? I know from numerous sources that he was a complete piece of s**t to staff he interacted with over the years. Still a club champion in your eyes?

Barrybran

Premium Platinum
Jun 18, 2016
Perth Scorchers
Melbourne are killing it!
Grundy straight in and out (who couldn’t see that coming).
Now lost their best player.
Premiership window being slammed shut.
Melbourne were one straight kick away from a preliminary final without said best player. If they can find 1-2 capable forwards they will be at the pointy end again next year.

Yoda_

Hall of Famer
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
It's like that hot girl you hook up with at the club

She's a 10 but then she's got kids to a drop kick dad, on Centrelink, lives with her parents and doesn't have a job or licence.

She's a 10 7 though, right

Soggy2112

Aug 6, 2021
I get what he’s saying, we’ve recruited the upstanding citizen from a great family in the past instead of the best talented player.

Think he’s missed the mark with this one though, as Oliver’s situation appears to be heading down a dangerous path
I was more challenging his claim that the best footballers are the ones with off field trouble.

Mich0

Suspended
Oct 11, 2018
Do you feel the same way about nathan jones? I know from numerous sources that he was a complete piece of s**t to staff he interacted with over the years. Still a club champion in your eyes?

I can’t speak to that without more evidence

The Edukator

Nov 9, 2010
de_dust2
Gold Coast
He would fit our need for a big bull midfielder.

But I'm happy he doesn't want to go to Essendon. We'd be giving up every good pick for 2 years to get him. And that will undercook our rebuild. We need those picks.

We stumbled with the lost first rounders with Shiel and Daniher already. Let's not give any more away.
What would dodo do?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

random260

Apr 20, 2013
Dissapponted this fell through. Really was getting my refresh finger ready for the next 2 weeks. Now it’s back to getting excited about McAdam
I have to say even though I'm not a demon fans that's really a disgusting statement.

The stalker vibe everyone gives of with Reid is really odd and weird. Willing to sell your first born child for him is something.

It would be like me dancing in delight at the thought of trading Josh keneedy

KiwiRoo

Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
He's like a Ferrari that's had a high speed (pardon the pun) crash

Melbourne say they're still selling a Ferrari so need a high price

But there's no guarantee that he can still perform like a Ferrari so why pay the high price

Got more red flags than a Soviet Military display

Foucault1989

Oct 16, 2016
You were melting the other day when I was talking about Oliver's feelings. You was pleading for us to just focus on his footy ability.

You're a straight up nuffy.

CarterS

Jun 14, 2001
Lions
Footy journos now: "yep, common knowledge around the traps that Clayton Oliver was a loose unit".

Has there been ANY reporting of this before trade period started?

Saab NLAW

Aug 27, 2022
How so?

Rumors off offield behavior's being no good, exit meeting bender.

He's still very immature, he's had a difficult year and made some really poor choices, however he wants to turn his life around. Since the hilariously bad exit meeting there's been more positive discussions.

danster168

Apr 29, 2016
He's like a Ferrari that's had a high speed (pardon the pun) crash

Melbourne say they're still selling a Ferrari so need a high price

But there's no guarantee that he can still perform like a Ferrari so why pay the high price

Got more red flags than a Soviet Military display
That is so far off the mark. You're talking about one of the greatest players of all time. and one of the most consistent midfielders the game has ever seen. He hasn't played a poor game in 8 years and now you think there's a chance he's not going to perform? Not many have his resume and he's got multiple AA's and BnF's left in him and possibly another AFLCA award.