Preview Western Bulldogs V Melbourne: JLT Community Series

Remove this Banner Ad

Our first four games are against Collingwood (Grundy), Sydney (Naismith/Tippett), Fremantle (Sandilands) and North (Goldstein).

Rate Campbell or not, I don't think we can play Boyd in the ruck for that stretch and expect him to hold his own.
Hard to argue with that. Did Rough not say something along the lines of he was about to pick up the phone and tell Tom C he was playing when he thought he might miss the GF with the eye injury. Seems like Tom C is the first choice response to a Rough injury rather than reshuffle the team.

Last edited:
My proposed changes for the second pre-season game (dependant on fitness of course):

IN: Bontempelli, Boyd, C. Smith, Lipinski, Greene, Collins, Young, Williams, R. Smith, Morris, Mullenger-McHugh, Picken, English
OUT: Roughead, Murphy, Dahlhaus, Hunter, Macrae, Campbell, McLean, Boyd, Roberts, Liberatore, Biggs, Daniel, Johannisen

FB: Morris - Collins - Smith
HB: Williams - Adams - Boyd
C: Dale - Bontempelli - Lynch
HF: Crameri - Cloke - Smith
FF: Jong - Stringer - Webb
R: English - Dunkley - Picken
I: Cordy - Lipinski - Honeychurch - Young
Greene - Hamilton - Mullenger-McHugh

Wood and Dickson have a run if fit but I'm not sure where they're at.

Basically my strategy would be to pump another game into those who looked like they needed it (Adams, Jong, Crameri, Stringer, Dunkley, Cordy) as well as the younger guys that played JLT1 and probably won't play JLT3 (Dale, Lynch, Webb, Honeychurch, Hamilton), while getting a look at all of our draftees outside of Tweedie.

Cloke's the odd man out but I think playing him alongside Crameri and Stringer as much as possible this pre-season is important. That said, I suppose you could make the same argument for needing Boyd in the team.

Mix of experience and youth on every line, which is really what I was trying for.

My proposed changes for the second pre-season game (dependant on fitness of course):
I'd keep Murphy and Toyd in. Murphy to shake off the cobwebs and Toyd to adapt to sharing the forward line with Cloke :)

When 19 year olds become mature age recruits?
He's a year older than the 2016 draft crop. Maybe mature ager wasn't the right term but he still has an extra year of development over everyone else in his bracket, and he's older than Bailey Williams and Kieran Collins.

okay well do you want to make an avatar bet on it?
Not underage.

hasn't the world changed since 2016

Donald Trump is the president of the USA
The Bulldogs are premiers
Fletcher Roberts is receiving positive posts :)
i have been on the sid bandwagon since day one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been a bit of a Roberts basher but he was good on the weekend. Marked well, didn't get out bodied and looked very composed when he had the ball. Good signs!

There was one hilarious play where Roberts was following his man back to goal (as he should have been) and then all of a sudden something snapped in his brain and he turned and sprinted at the ball carrier for no apparent reason. Easy kick over the top and goal. Not an easy situation to be in, covering two forwards, but still looked funny.

But yeah, I was happy with Roberts' effort. Didn't get much help from others all day.

I've been a bit of a Roberts basher but he was good on the weekend. Marked well, didn't get out bodied and looked very composed when he had the ball. Good signs!
This is because it is a combination OF both maturity and confidence. I think there is still a lot of up in Roberts and will become a valuable defender in years to come.

This is because it is a combination OF both maturity and confidence. I think there is still a lot of up in Roberts and will become a valuable defender in years to come.

He's a solid kick and has good defensive instincts in the air. Will never be a Lake but if he becomes a solid kpp then I classify that as a win.

He's a solid kick and has good defensive instincts in the air. Will never be a Lake but if he becomes a solid kpp then I classify that as a win.

He's a pre season draft pick that we've turned into a premiership key defender. I reckon that's a win already.

Really liked his game on the weekend. Becomes even more important with Adams a good chance of wandering off at the end of the year and Collins still a question mark.

He's a pre season draft pick that we've turned into a premiership key defender. I reckon that's a win already.

Really liked his game on the weekend. Becomes even more important with Adams a good chance of wandering off at the end of the year and Collins still a question mark.
If Jayden Schofield did not return to WA for personal reasons then
Fletcher Roberts may never have been seen at AFL level, one mans
misfortune is another mans opportunity.

Collins will be good, just needs time like most big men.

Collins will be good, just needs time like most big men.

Agreed! In the u18's he backed himself to take intercept marks and read the play beautifully. As well as stopping his direct opponent. Once he's body allows him to go with AFL players and have more impact, he'll be the perfect FB for our game plan.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back