Analysis What are the top 5 things that you think need fixing with the AFL. Opposition supporters welcome to post ideas.

Remove this Banner Ad

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Currently i feel like i have a hard earned ticket to board the AFL bus to a game i love seeing but the bus has been hi-jacked by the AFL Commission with Gil driving, Hocking collecting the tickets, Christian as a learner driver watching Gil, Whateley the tourist guide spruiking how great the ride is to me and lo and behold the bus is going instead to Channel 9 TV station way out of my way! WTF?!?! All i can see is TV commercials ahead!!! Stop the bus I want to get off!!!

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
1. Dont bullshit us regarding poor decisions, just own them.
2. Fines for MRP start at 5k and double each time for each offence including suspendable offences. Throw a punch you're guna pay!
3. Scrap deliberate out of bounds, last time i checked inside the white line is the playing field.
4. We dont have a goal review problem, we have a s**t camera problem. Wankley seems to want to scrap because it may occur in finals, but we wont have because we have to top line camera's and can see the fingers tipping the ball. And they need to be at each ground and in the goal post padding.
5. Immediately reverse ump decisions when players try to get 50's by provoking a response to the offending player by niggling them. Do a reversal or allow free punch cards to come in to wallop these pricks. This didnt happen when sly whacking still happened.

Righto, I guess this thread is borne out of the s**tfight that was Hocking and his comments on tackling.

Which comments?

From 25 July - "I can categorically say on camera that’s not going to happen on my watch,” Hocking said. “There will not be any eradication of tackling, at any time in the future, at any stage in AFL football.”

Or from 18 July - “But 160-plus tackles in a game — I’m not sure that’s what the fans want. They want some space.” Although he didn’t specify an ideal number for average tackles per game — or how the league could enforce an overall reduction — Hocking said he wanted less to be applied to help ease congestion.
“I have a very strong view on that. It has become a feature of our game and all the stuff that we’re analysing is how to get a balance back in that so that it’s not a feature of the game,” Hocking told reporters on Wednesday. I don’t think there’s a number ... but certainly we don’t want that (tackling) necessarily as a skill.”

In the space of one week... But to quote the great man one more time - "But people should take some confidence that we are looking at the right things.” :drunk:

rmcq

????????????
Sep 6, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
1. Prior opportunity: if they’re going to keep it, then remove the interpretation and make it “possession for more than 1 second”.
2. Protected zone: Put the onus on the player to keep out of the way. Make it 50m if the player in the zone interferes with play in any way. If they don’t interfere, just play as usual.
3. Get rid of score reviews until the tech is better (review in 10 years). If not, let’s see “umpires call” unless it’s totally obvious, and instruct goal umpires to review only if they’re unsighted.
4. 6-6-6 is stupid, it leads to lower scores. No longer will we see the Deledio fastest goal in the world because the AFL forces 2 players to stand in the goal square. Why that is a rule I will never understand. Why restrict tactics so much? At least let the forwards stand anywhere in the 50?

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
4. 6-6-6 is stupid, it leads to lower scores. No longer will we see the Deledio fastest goal in the world because the AFL forces 2 players to stand in the goal square. Why that is a rule I will never understand. Why restrict tactics so much? At least let the forwards stand anywhere in the 50?

The goal square is a great part of Australian Rules 'culture'. It's the closest point to goal, it is slang for 'as near as you can get', we use 'top of the square' as a descriptor continuously.

It's like the 6-yard box in soccer. It highlights how close the play is to goal.

Unfortunately, with the new kick-out rules ('wander off as far as you like and then bomb randomly to a contest') we don't need a goalsquare - so we could have removed it. I reckon the goalsquare part of 6-6-6 was introduced to keep the square. (Plus Toyota have probably paid for a few years sponsorship, so we need it for that).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soberian Tiger

Borat's cousin twice removed from village
Jul 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Professional umpires chosen for, shock horror, decision making rather than running ability.

Getting into good positions to make decisions is of no value if the decisions made are too often wrong.

Trade period needs 2 things to happen

1. Remove the power for players to veto trade deals. With at least 2 clubs in every state, if a player says I want to go home then send them to the club in that state that can offer the best deal to the club they are leaving.

2. Trade period becomes 3 days. First day all clubs meet and exchange lists of which players are available for trade. Second day rival clubs submit their best offer. Third day, clubs receiving deals can provide 1 counter offer with an hour time limit for the 2 clubs to agree to the final offer. After that clubs can still swap picks up until to the end of the draft.

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
I think that the AFL is just fine and dandy... no change needed, same teams, same rules and same premiers.

Drofder

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2014
37.8265° S, 145.0069° E
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, Niners
They need to get PT Victoria to supply more trains at Richmond and Jolimont stations and not just let them run with their bog standard, bs timetable when there’s 80,000 - 100,000 trying to get home after a game. Day or night.

Besides the immense frustration of seeing the next train is 20 minutes away, having tens of thousands of people crammed in on the bare edge of empty platforms, waiting endlessly for a train to arrive, is courting a fatality. It’s only a matter of time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back