What are you listening to right now? Pt VI

Remove this Banner Ad

I was working as a labourer in the early 70's after finishing Uni while waiting to take up my first job. I was at the bottom of a really big hole that I had dug by hand, for the foundation of warehouse that was being built for the removalist firm, Kent's. It took me a full week the dig the 5 holes. It was summer and really hot, but it was nice and cool at the bottom of a 5 foot hole. I was the only one there, but had my little radio for company. This is where I first heard this song and became a Jimmy Buffett fan.

Many years later while a teacher for a while, my school used to play music over the PA before the start of school to get kids aware that class would begin in 5 min and they should get off to class. I overheard a conversation of the staff setting up the music that would be played the next morning and found out what had to be done. A week later after careful planning and a lot of very subtle sneakiness, another Jimmy Buffett song came across the PA. The kids loved it, they talked about it all day. The next staff meeting the Math's department complained. I never was suspected because the only other person who knew was my wife.

Last edited:
And now for something completely different. Lockdown has finished. Head banging time.
Reminds me of when we let a young guy leave early to go and see Korn only for him to ring and say the next day that he couldn't come in to work because he had been injured in the mosh pit.
I don't think I would survive in these crowds. I love this song.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eat your heart out Rudy Vallee. The Bassoon rules!
This was the song playing on my radio sitting on the back shelf of my Dad's Dodge (no car radio back then) when he braked suddenly. I turned to stop the radio sliding off and saw the Jag that was about to run into the back of us. The Jag ended a up a lot worse off than we did. We drove down to Frankston to see my cousins and later back home again. The Jag was towed away.
This song knocked off "Good Vibrations" for a week and the got replaced by "I'm a Believer."
Great songs in those days.

Last edited:
I heard this for the first time last night and love the singers voice. Good to see some Australian hippies back at the Palais. A real Summer Love in, Howzat for the in the know!

Last edited:
I heard this for the first time last night and love the singers voice. Good to see some Australian hippies back at the Palais. A real Summer Love in, Howzat for the in the know!

No takers. Come on get a Wiggle on.
EDIT: Written by Garth Porter, of Sherbert fame and with Murray Cook, the original Red Wiggle on guitar.

Last edited:
This came out when I was in Grade 5. I'd never heard anything like it before. It was amazing for it's day. I had already stood in the backyard with my Dad and watched it pass overhead a little while before this came out..

Trivia: Matt Bellamy of Muse is the son of George Bellamy who plays rhythm guitar on Telstar.
This is the Muse song "Knights of Cydonia," you will notice some influences.

Last edited:
Random musical useless facts of the week.
In 2004 Blink 182 toured and played their shows with a view to cram in a lot of songs into 1 hour shows.
So they played medley's and at rapid 170-250bpm, asking Travis to just go full Kieth Moon, lol.
I wish more bands did creative stuff like this, just for kicks and shiggles.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back