Food, Drink & Dining Out What did you cook for dinner last night?

Remove this Banner Ad

Old lady made a massive Lasagna for friends that were supposed to be coming down from Sydney. Come home, they haven't turned up and I have 5kg of Lasagna. Lunch and Dinner for the next week (Y)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nicky - this is the best thread on this site. If you don't mind i copied and pasted your recipes on a word document so i could have a go at them. I am hopeless at coming up with ideas.

Thanks and i hope you don't mind. :)

Yeah people feel free to recommend and post any recipes that are your favourites.

Cottage Pie and Sweet Potato Fries.

I swear the best Sheppard's Pie that I ever made was when I just completely winged it and chucked a heap of stuff into the beef mince base, wish I had of written down exactly what I did.

Completely off topic, because I'm in the process of cooking this tonight. Rigatoni Saltati. Basically, that's a bolognese sauce with extra garlic, strips of bacon (ideally, prosciutto) and chilli. The secret is to not use minced steak. I buy beef off the shin (really cheap) and cut it up reasonably small (thin). Cook slowly for three hours and you end up with a ragu. Basil and oregano in squeezable, long-lasting, plastic tubes is one of the great innovations of the past twenty years.

I usually get seven or eight meals out of it. That my son always gets a serve (so-to-speak) every time I make it is probably the only reason he still talks to me. Oh, that and the real farm eggs (a foodstuff completely unrecognisable if compared with those in a supermarket) which I also supply him in his deprived inner-urban circumstances. Country living has its compensations. The only thing that confuses me is when I enter a property, prompted by a sign on a farm fence saying, "Free Range Eggs", the owners invariably want to charge me for them.

nicky - this is the best thread on this site. If you don't mind i copied and pasted your recipes on a word document so i could have a go at them. I am hopeless at coming up with ideas.

Thanks and i hope you don't mind. :)

Mind? are you kidding me, you've made my day. :thumbsu:

I'll post more.

I bought some barrimundi, does anyone have an impressive and simple recipe for that?

Completely off topic, because I'm in the process of cooking this tonight. Rigatoni Saltati. Basically, that's a bolognese sauce with extra garlic, strips of bacon (ideally, prosciutto) and chilli. The secret is to not use minced steak. I buy beef off the shin (really cheap) and cut it up reasonably small (thin). Cook slowly for three hours and you end up with a ragu. Basil and oregano in squeezable, long-lasting, plastic tubes is one of the great innovations of the past twenty years.

That sounds exquisite.

That sounds exquisite.

The cutting up of the beef is labour-intensive, and requires a really sharp knife (everyone who cooks must own one, and a way of sharpening it). Because it's a lesser cut of beef, it tends to have more gristle in it. The slow cooking process dissolves the gristle (virtually caramelises it) and adds a sweetness to the dish, making it unnecessary to add any sugar to bind it together. The grinding process involved in mincing beef tends to expose it to drying out, which can destroy any flavour. Also, buying meat this way compels you to develop a relationship with a good butcher. My butcher has been trained to slice the shin for me, in cross-section, so lessening my workload.

If, by some odious mischance, I get some time, I'll post the recipe on this thread.

You should post the recipe.

Is there an easier cut of meat to buy (even if it costs a bit more?)

Another, higher quality, cut wouldn't have the characteristics I've described. If you were to buy gravy beef at a supermarket, it might have a similar effect. I have a vested interest in the continuance of butchering businesses. A better cut would, I'd assume, have less substance to it. For me, it's about cultivating a butcher who is dependable. This may take a few attempts. It's also a worthwhile educational process to talk to a butcher who knows his stuff.

My maxim is that the most expensive food you can buy is that which you have to throw away. Not to mention the fact that if we allow it to happen, we'll all be in the thrall of Coles and Woolworths, and we know for sure that once they win that battle, they'll serve us any s**t they care to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back