What have you liked, learnt or hated about AFL Womens Round 1?

Remove this Banner Ad

They do not need to worry overmuch about the scoring. The women's game can be entertaining with lower scores.

There is enough support there to get good atmosphere in the right sized stadiums.

Also, if they keep the interest up for the next 7 weeks, how big could the GF be?

People also hopefully get used to and accept women's footy as same same but different. Skills lower, but made up for with pressure and endeavour.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Hated the lights, Speakers and TV screen, hated the lack of programs, it was a historic event and I would have liked it as memorabilia

Loved the atmosphere and the reason I went was because it was centrally located ground. Casey Fields and to a lesser extent Witten Oval won't draw the same response IMO. It was nice that it was free, could have been a gold coin donation, would have liked the opportunity to contribute a bit of coin. I like that there is a big discrepancy between skill level, it made it entertaining for me and I went from talking about no.1 and no.3 to Darcy V and Bri Davey which I think is how you build an attachment to a team.

One thing that stood out was the physicality is actually a bigger part than would assume with not watching much women's footy before.
There is a lack of skill level with kicking etc. that the ball is kind of moved on but very little precision so they are going to be contesting physically to get the ball even more because of the lack of being able to deliver the ball so well to each other in uncontested manner. There is also a bigger gap between the star players and the ones making up the numbers. Lower scores to be expected.

The AFL could not be happier with their first night although one thing that was on my mind at the start was this actually might be biggest game of the year for it. First game, all the PR sell building up to it with Tennis over, Cricket over, Men's footy not started. Carlton and Collingwood was a set up fixture to maximise it getting exposure.

Sets bar so high in terms of getting public attention and crowd numbers to, that some games with 2 or 3 thousand will now been looked on by some as relative failures and crowd interest waning after initial big marketing start.

However for the girls themselves just loving to play footy there is only good that can come from it.

I liked how the umpires umpired, I liked how the commentators didn't scream or cry about decisions that in their own biased minds were there, I liked how the players got on with the game even if they thought it was a bad decision and didn't cry to the umpires for mercy and understanding.

Loved the crowd, kudos to the Carlton and Collingwood fans, and also the neutrals.

Loved the game as well

They do not need to worry overmuch about the scoring. The women's game can be entertaining with lower scores.

There is enough support there to get good atmosphere in the right sized stadiums.

Also, if they keep the interest up for the next 7 weeks, how big could the GF be?

People also hopefully get used to and accept women's footy as same same but different. Skills lower, but made up for with pressure and endeavour.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
Agree on scoring. Shorter quarters too will mean goals become more highly valued. Not quite like soccer but not far off it.

Like that actually

I liked how the umpires umpired, I liked how the commentators didn't scream or cry about decisions that in their own biased minds were there, I liked how the players got on with the game even if they thought it was a bad decision and didn't cry to the umpires for mercy and understanding.

Loved the crowd, kudos to the Carlton and Collingwood fans, and also the neutrals.

Loved the game as well
Agree on all that just wish australian commentators would pronounce the word "defence " correctly

I'm trying to work out how it's going to be a sustainable competition - big crowd for the first match, but it was free entry.

Who is going to be paying to watch this level of competition in three years, for example watching an 'elite' player have a shot for goal from 45 m after the siren and falling 20 metres short?

Not for me thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm trying to work out how it's going to be a sustainable competition - big crowd for the first match, but it was free entry.

Who is going to be paying to watch this level of competition in three years, for example watching an 'elite' player have a shot for goal from 45 m after the siren and falling 20 metres short?

Not for me thanks.

1. The level of competition will increase. I played football from u9's until I was 25 and was never good enough to play AFL. There's probably a pool of 100 women that have spent as many hours as I have playing the game. The talent pool needs time to develop isn't there because it's the first generation. It won't be AFL level but it will get better.

2. How does suburban footy survive? just scale it down. And it can be subsidised, how much has the government pumped into mens football. And some of the best stuff the AFL does is subsidises Aus kick which builds future generations of football fans. Female audience shifts the turnstiles same as men. How many young women will join football clubs next year? And if young women are attracted to the game they'll become life long AFL fans like me. You don't see women ignoring Federer vs Nadal because they played womens tennis and therefore only enjoy women's tennis.

A lockout for the first match. Hit us up with your thoughts.

What have we liked learned or hated from round one - or just one game of round 1?

Pulling the trigger a bit early on the thread aren't you? You could have waited until at least a second game was played - maybe even, you know, a third or fourth.

Not for me thanks.

You do realise"elite" male players also miss shots at goal from that distance or don't make the distance?

What have we liked learned or hated from round one - or just one game of round 1?

Pulling the trigger a bit early on the thread aren't you? You could have waited until at least a second game was played - maybe even, you know, a third or fourth.

Ill pull the trigger whenever i damn well like. The title says round 1 - last nights game was part of round 1.

Anyone else find the overwhelming support and post game adulation all a bit patronising to the girls?

Stadium was full, yes, however entry was free.

TV rating were probably good however it was the first game of footy shown line in 4 odd months.

There is talk of women deserving even more credit due to playing in summer, despite this comp taking place is summer just to allow for some nights where they are not competing for viewership from other footy events.

Good luck to them, however it may take a whole generation of girls to get this game to a half decent level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back