noddy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 21, 2002
Land of the Big Red Cloud
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
/The Bays/Man U
What if the AFC was run the same way as most other AFL clubs i.e. = members having the right to vote & if that vote actually meant something would our club be in a better position than we are now both on & off the field plus would the Crows board become more accountable??

I can remember some years back on 5aa & KG & Cornesy was conducting an interview with Bob Hammond on this subject & Bob was quite convincing in his argument on why the AFC should be run the way it was & in short that meant the SANFL commission more or less having veto on just about anything of real importance concerning the AFC & making sure that SA football would be well looked after from the riches born out of the Crows.

One question I would like answered is = has our board become a resting place for services rendered & do we have the right mix of board members with enough footy nous minded people to sit along side those from the world of big business??

Port Adelaide members seems to have done a lot better that the AFC members in that they can vote for at least half of their board where as with the Crows we have just the option of nominating a members choice & then having to wait for the commission to give the thumbs up or not for that choice.

At the time of that interview with Bob Hammond I ended up being swayed by the reasons put up by Bob but now I’m wondering that maybe some changes do need to be made to make the board of the AFC more accountable.

The SANFL Commission and the AFC Board are a boys club

Sanders' elevation to Chairman is a classic example of that.

I have given my 5 cents worth on this issue and much more and nothing will ever change becasue its not possible for the few who are committed to this issue to make a differecne

I ran for the board and outlined my concerns in my published material but because only three people nominated this material was not even distributed.

The lack of member representation is a joke.

Members are taken for granted by the SANFL and by some on the AFC board.

There should be a "normal" Crows' member on the Board, similar to how there is staff representation on my organisation's board. ie. Someone who is not only unerstanding of us everday supporters, but is actually one, rather than a SANFL hand-picked representative. Jars, you get my vote.

Originally posted by Jars458
The lack of member representation is a joke.

Members are taken for granted by the SANFL and by some on the AFC board.

Exactly my sentiments.

I'm going over old ground here as like you, I've said my piece on this before, but the AFC members and supporters are treated like mindless cashcows - the fact it took almost a good decade to finally get some halfdecent facilities for the people who provide the club with the majority of its revenue is testament to this.

The largest membership base in professional sport (or have we slipped behind the Pies?) and we get laughable representation - vote for a nominee and the SANFL will consider him? Patronise us some more why don't you?

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
There should be a "normal" Crows' member on the Board, similar to how there is staff representation on my organisation's board. ie. Someone who is not only unerstanding of us everday supporters, but is actually one, rather than a SANFL hand-picked representative. Jars, you get my vote.

I thought we had one of those Kane even if he/she had to have the nod from the SANFL commission.

But what i find hard to fathom is that both AFL licenses are owned by the SANFL but there are different rules for governing both Port & the Crows.

Port members can vote in up to 5 board reps while we can only vote in 1 (that is if his/she's face fits in the right circle)

I know i reside out of Adelaide up here in Whyalla but surely this must cause some angst among most Crow supporters.

Originally posted by noddy
I thought we had one of those Kane even if he/she had to have the nod from the SANFL commission.

But what i find hard to fathom is that both AFL licenses are owned by the SANFL but there are different rules for governing both Port & the Crows.

Port members can vote in up to 5 board reps while we can only vote in 1 (that is if his/she's face fits in the right circle)

I know i reside out of Adelaide up here in Whyalla but surely this must cause some angst among most Crow supporters.
I think the President is our so-called supporters rep, who was effectively just given the job by the SANFL. I would like to see an everday supporter representing us members, not a SANFL hand-picked person.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back